PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.3.1 Faster Then LW 9.6.1

MAUROCOR
03-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Recently I have bought a new computer and installed Windows 7.
Then I installed LW (32) versions 9.3.1 and 9.6.1.
9.3.1 rendering is at least 30% faster than the last version. Someone could say why is that? It doesn´t make sense at all.
:screwy:

Soth
03-10-2010, 06:43 AM
lol

Are you sure you have the rendering settings and number of threads is same in both programs?

biliousfrog
03-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Have you tried 9.6 - the non-beta version?

How are you testing the render speed, just putting the old scenes into the new app and hitting F9?...if so read this: http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide96/index.htm

Tartiflette
03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
That's really strange, i don't recall seeing any of my (or any other of the persons i've worked with...) scenes rendering slower with 9.5/9.6 than it was with 9.3 ? :confused:

What kind of scene is it ?

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartflette :)

Castius
03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
There a MANY changes between these two versions. Loading the same scene and hitting render. Might not a good benchmark method. There is a good chance there is something you may need to change in 9.6 to match the same speed.

Or it simply could be a good scene to submit to Newtek as a potential scene that should be faster.

Weetos
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
This reminds me of a scene with transparency, refraction and radiosity that was rendering fast as hell using 9.3 and then took ages when rendering in 9.5 (3 times longer if I remember correctly). LW9.6 and 9.6.1 still take that long to render it. I guess this can be optimized using the new settings, but I haven't found a way to render that scene as fast as 9.3 did.

monovich
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I can't be bothered to stress about 9.3 being faster. I only use 9.6, and I just fire it up and hope for the best. The 2 hours spent comparing 9.3 to 9.6 rendering of the same scene more than make up for the difference in render speed.

9.6 just has too many good features to pass up. I'll take a slower render if it really is slower. It only becomes a problem if a deadline can't be met, and that has never happened.

that said, I'm glad others are sniffing around! I'm definitely curious as to what you find.

Snosrap
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I can't be bothered to stress about 9.3 being faster. I only use 9.6, and I just fire it up and hope for the best. The 2 hours spent comparing 9.3 to 9.6 rendering of the same scene more than make up for the difference in render speed.

9.6 just has too many good features to pass up. I'll take a slower render if it really is slower. It only becomes a problem if a deadline can't be met, and that has never happened.

that said, I'm glad others are sniffing around! I'm definitely curious as to what you find.

Yeah. What is it? 5 seconds slower, 1min, 5min? Who cares. An hour or two? Ok, you got my attention. 9.6 has been the best upgrade to LW ever.

WCameron
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
was 9.3x to 9.5 the 'full scene evaluation being ticked on all the time' issue? maybe check that in 9.6.1...

- Will.

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Got a scene for example?

Chuck
03-10-2010, 06:29 PM
You should note that there are a number of things, including GI, the lighting system and several of the light types, that underwent major changes, and if you load a legacy scene and do not change settings in these items, the rendering will take much longer but will also be rendering to a much higher quality look in some instances. You can back off the settings and render faster to get the same look as higher settings would have required in the earlier version.

In order to know if you have simply encountered an example of this, or have instead uncovered a meaningful issue that we might wish to address in v9.6.1, we would need the scene and content to review. Please submit them as a bug report, and we can look into it.

erikals
03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
and make two renders, so we can compare...