PDA

View Full Version : Man Down

crashnburn
03-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Well I managed to have a car accident a couple of weeks ago and have just returned home from hospital. My right arm is broken on several places including a seriuos wound to my forearm which required a skin graft. So looks like Lightwave is out of reach for me for a few weeks. I'm not too good with a mouse with my left hand and the strong pain killers I am on aren't too happy about me being sat upright at my desk lol. But hopefully with some good physiotherapy and persistence I should be back to it soon. It's made me realise how much I depend on my right hand to do every day chores and important ones.

akademus
03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Yes, its true.

A while ago I had problems with my right wrist. My fingers were numb and I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome. Luckily, it was only a lousy mouse at work.

But it got me really worried how would I live without right hand.

I wish you fast recovery!

caccipergolo
03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
I'm seriously thinking to ensure my right arm, just in case ...

biliousfrog
03-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Glad to hear that you're ok. I think that, in the grand scheme of things, Lightwave can wait. There's no rush to get back into it, the most important thing is to fix yourself up...we'll still be here :D

Spend some time in the real world, there's a lot going on out there, you'll feel better for it and might even feel more inspired when you get back to full strength.

Soth
03-10-2010, 06:42 AM
You can get much better with left hand after just couple of weeks. Nowhere close to use the LightWave but good enough for operating system. ;)

Apparently it is good excercise for your brain. :)

I hope you will make full recovery soon!

Nangleator
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Get well soon!

And don't work on any interface for bedridden folks. Being able to work in LightWave while in bed would allow a perfect storm of pleasure so intense, I'm afraid the universe would dissolve itself to prevent it.

shrox
03-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Start as soon as you can without worsening things. I'll bet Lightwave is an excellent physical dexterity therapy.

I hope you recover quickly, and get all you can out of the NHS.

crashnburn
03-11-2010, 04:19 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement and good will.

Bilious - I think you hit the nail on the head.

Shrox - I agree it will be excellent therapy once I have sorted my self out in a few weeks time. The NHS have been fantastic. The hospital I was in speacalise in these types of injuries and they gave me some new faith in the NHS.

Soth - Thanks, everythings left handed at the moment LOL

zardoz
03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I work with a friend that at the age of 18 had a nasty car accident and as a result he can't move is right arm (he's around 30 now). He's an architect and he works with me using 3dsmax. He had to start doing everything with his left arm (he wasn't left handed...) and of coarse it took some time, but now he's one of the fastest in here doing 3d, photoshop etc using only his left arm (he still has the right arm, but it only hangs...and he feels lots of pain and cold). Of coarse, I hope this never happens to one of us, but he's the perfect example to show me that it's not the end.

crashnburn (maybe you should change your name, hey) I wish the best to you, and get well soon.

Sarford
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Blast, just noticed Zardoz made the same joke!

Hope you get well soon

Danner
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I broke my right wrist a few years ago, a day later I tried working with my left hand, it was odd and tiring, 3 days later I felt somewhat confortable doing it... When the cast was taken out I continued to use my left hand for a while!

crashnburn
07-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Well just an update. I now have a little use of my arm. The bones are almost healed although there was a little complication. And my radius is dislocated at the elbow making my wrist uncomfortable due to an inbalance in the joint.

The good news is my scaring is reducing, my skingraft is doing well and I no longer need pain killers.

cresshead
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
take care and get well soon...just in time for some 2 handed lightwave goodness

crashnburn
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I recently signed up for Hardcore, so I'm killing my hours of spare time looking at that and starting to try and use Lightwave one handed lol, it's frustrating at times as many functions need 2 hands to do them quickly, but I'm getting there slowly which is the main thing.

Bilious recommended getting out into the worls so I've started going for walks with a field recorder and shotgun mic to collect sound effects to maybe use or sell. I do sound effects for a friend who teaches drama so this is getting me out of the house. Cabin Fever is real lol.

crashnburn
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
If you are squeemish don't look any closer. This is what I did to the bones.

The shot with the bars is the night of my accident, they used the bars to stabalise the bones. The other two are the plates and screws I have in now. 30 Iridium screws at 300 each plus 5 Titanium plates, ouch!! No idea what will happen at the airport lol.

Nangleator
07-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Iridium? Does it have to be cool/exotic sounding, or just hideously expensive, for proper healing?

Thanks for sharing!

crashnburn
07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I think they look at what metals have the best combination of strength and longevity and wont corrode. Unfortunately that and the sterile conditions they have to be made in makes them expensive. As cool as it may sound, I wish I didn't need them.

jrandom
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
You might find a Logitech Trackman (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/166) to be more comfortable.

It takes about a week to get used to it. After that, mice feel primitive and clumsy. :) The trick is to toss the mouse cursor over large distances near your target and then use fine-tuned movement to actually select/click. All you have to move is your thumb -- it's a very comfortable input device.

For Lightwave I use a combination of the trackman and a wacom graphics tablet.

shrox
07-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I just looked at the pictures of your arm. Did you get any Wolverine blades installed?

crashnburn
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I wish lol. It's relly weird cos I can feel a lot of the screws that you can see in the x-rays. Hopefully they will eventually take them out, but it depends on if I have any problems with them. as yet they can't because 2 of the breaks are still repairing.

archijam
07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
All the best with the rehabilitation. A really tough situation, and the slow paths are the most frustrating.

On the bright side, I'm sure theres a few great pickup lines in there somewhere :P

Nangleator
07-13-2010, 06:37 AM
On the bright side, I'm sure theres a few great pickup lines in there somewhere
I'd go with:

Yeah, I was trying to rescue a baby orphan seal puppy when my helicopter crashed into a cliff and I had to pull the pilot out of the flaming wreckage with my broken arm while shouting, "Dammit! I'm not going to let you go!" with a knife held between my teeth. And some terrorists and stuff. And the President wanted to award me a medal, but I had to go operate on some wounded soldiers and turn down sexual advances from swimsuit models, because I'm deep and they wouldn't understand me. And walking away in slow motion with explosions behind me. Soft focus. Lens flare.

Matt
07-13-2010, 07:12 AM

The shot with the bars is the night of my accident, they used the bars to stabalise the bones. The other two are the plates and screws I have in now. 30 Iridium screws at 300 each plus 5 Titanium plates, ouch!! No idea what will happen at the airport lol.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet dude! OUCH!

"We can rebuild him" :)

Kuzey
07-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Looks like they missed a bone in the first photo, seems like it's floating and not connected to anything....crazy stuff :hey:

Get well soon.

Kuzey

crashnburn
01-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, for the first time in 11 months I've actually used my right hand to operate my mouse and keyboard. It aches after a while which should go down with physio, but things are looking better. I've even been able to do a bit of writing and sketching. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

Titus
01-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Excellent! do you have more wireframes of your arm?

crashnburn
01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks! I had my last operation just before Christmas and will see the surgeon that did the op in a couple of weeks. While I'm there I will take photos of my X-rays, so will post a couple. Basically they have had to take the top inch of my radius away to allow me more freedom to rotate my hand. However, I can't bend my arm to more than a right-angle and probably never will. But it's a far better option than the amputation that they said was almost required.

Hopper
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
So looks like Lightwave is out of reach for me for a few weeks.
It will go fast. Glad to hear your ok for the most part. You'll be back before you know it.

Yes, its true.
A while ago I had problems with my right wrist. My fingers were numb and I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome.
I'm having the same problem right now, but it's my left hand (and I'm right handed). My pinkie and half of my ring finger is numb. It's odd about the ring finger, but as it turns out, your ring finger is the only finger that uses nerve endings from two separate nerve paths - one from under the elbow and one over it. So they're calling it "Ulna Compression Neuropathy" and I'm stuck doing this lame physical therapy for 4 weeks and taking Meloxicam, which makes me feel like crap all day. I'm already an a-hole, but now it's 3 times worse. I feel sorry for everyone around me. :twak:

Even the doctor says it's doubtful the PT will help, but in order for insurance to pay for surgery, I have to try physical therapy first.

Now I'm stuck for at least six weeks without playing guitar - so I can definitely empathize.

crashnburn
01-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Hopper: My biggest worry was the affect my injury would have on the things in life I enjoy doing. So I can empathise with your situation.

BigHache
01-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow just looking at the xrays, they did an incredible job repairing your arm. Glad to hear healing is coming along.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM

Wow. You weren't kidding. I was feeling a little bummed because my dogs accidentally scratched up my face and I have a couple client meetings tomorrow. No more man. Feeling quite blessed since seeing this thread.

Those before and after shots are incredible.

crashnburn
01-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Well the good thing is that for the first time in ages my arm feels quite normal. I can't say enough for the surgeons at Sheffield Northern General and what they have done, they are a credit to the NHS. I've gone from close to amputation to being able to do things I enjoy again.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-18-2011, 04:44 AM
I'd go with:

And walking away in slow motion with explosions behind me. Soft focus. Lens flare.

:jester:

Elmar Moelzer
01-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Yeah situations like these can change your life and your perspective on life and things that we usually take for granted (like being able to use the right hand).
Hope you will fully recover soon!
Oh, if you have a CT- scan of your arm, I would do some VoluMedic renderings for you and maybe make a mesh and send it your way.

Kuzey
01-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Well the good thing is that for the first time in ages my arm feels quite normal. I can't say enough for the surgeons at Sheffield Northern General and what they have done, they are a credit to the NHS. I've gone from close to amputation to being able to do things I enjoy again.

That's excellent news and I hope the recovery continues :thumbsup:

All the best,

Kuzey

crashnburn
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys.

Elmar: Unfortunately they have only done X-rays of my arm. But thanks for the offer, it would have been intriguing to see my arm in 3D.

crashnburn
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Here's an update, requested by Titus, recent X-rays. They've taken the top of my radius off to allow me to rotate my hand.

probiner
01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
AAAUUCCHHH!!!!
Best wishes...

BigHache
01-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Is that a permanent alteration, or just temporary until further healing? Comparing to the first set it's looking REALLY good!

crashnburn
01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
They've literally cut the top section of the bone off where it joins the elbow. So it will never go back, there's just too much scar tissue all around my elbow. So much infact that it has sort of formed a support around my elbow joint which is helping to make the joint a little bit more stable. I suppose I ought to have asked them for the bit they cut off lol. And unless it causes me any problems, the metal work is staying. It could probably come out without causing any problems afterwards, but they wont remove it unless necessary.

crashnburn
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
The weirdest thing is that I can feel most of the screws lol

oliversimonnet
02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Ooh man.
That is some seriously injured arm.
They have done an amazing job reappearing it tho.
Best wishes...