PDA

View Full Version : Changes to anyone using wireless UHF mics

radams
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Attention to anyone using wireless UHF mics...

read the link below.

http://www.governmentvideo.com/article/92824

So the FCC has ruled that anyone using UHF based wireless mics need to stop by June of this year or face fines and possibly other legal action.

If you have made a recent purchase of one...I would suggest contacting your dealer or the manufacturer to see if they can swap it for a unit that will be acceptable.

So more $$$ our of pockets...Darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

joseburgos
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Saying UHF is way too broad a statement. To be precise, it is for the 700Mhz band (698-806Mhz).
Sennheiser has a good web page with information on it;
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/spectrum-reallocation

My wireless Sennheiser G2 system is safe as it is not in the 700Mhz band (it's 626-662Mhz).

radams
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Jose...just wanted to get people's attention :) to read through it to look and see what bands they are using...

joseburgos
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Then you succeeded with me anyway ;)

Take care,

m4a2000
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
OK... So my place of work, a high school, uses at least 10 UHF wireless mics... What do we have to do?

Silkrooster
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
First thing you need to do is look on the mic(s) or the receiver and see what frequency it uses. If they are within the illegal bandwidth it may be possible to purchase only mics if the receiver has a wide frequency band. Also contact your suppler and see if they can exchange or reimburse you, depending on how long you had them.
My guess is most new mics fall outside that frequency range. Though I am sure a few questionable resellers would love to off load what they have without any consequence to its customers.

csandy
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Okay.... before people tell the govenment to take its hands off their Medicare, here's an extremely brief explanation.

1. Not all UHF mics are bad (Thanks Jose)
2. Only mics that operate in the 700 Mhz band are illegal starting June 12 - also the ACTUAL BAND is 698-806 Mhz. So if you have a mic that is 804, or 699 MHz, you are NOT in compliance.
3. This means YOU. Prior exemptions for Churchs, small broadcasters, folks that spent their last dime on a TCXD300 and can't afford new mics no longer apply.
4. Shure, Sennheiser, Nady, etc have trade-in programs where you can get a nominal amount for your old illegal mics. The most expensive the mic, the more you'll likely get in exchange.
5. There's nothing stopping you from selling your equipment to other countries, provided you comply with the export obligations.
6. Go here if you're not sure if your equipment is in violation or not: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/manufacturers.html
7. If you want to read the FCC Order yourself, it can be found here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/manufacturers.html
8. This is not a partisan move. The relinquishment of this spectrum has been many years in the making and has been proposed and delayed under both Republican and Democrat administrations and FCC Chairs (Kennard, Powell, Martin, Genachowski....)
9. FIRE, EMS, POLICE, and other first responders are now using this band among others. Don't be a scofflaw. You could save a life.

* For the few of you who know what I do for a living, this does not constitute advice, endorsement, or recommendation of any kind whatsoever. I'm just being helpful.

sbrandt
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Looks like the Sennheiser rebate for G2s could be as little as 80 bucks.

That's outrageous !

csandy
03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you on the U.S. or Canadian side of the border? Is the CRTC doing the same thing with UHF mics as the FCC?

sbrandt
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
U.S. side.

I just got it straight from the horses mouth at Old Lyme, the "rebate" on my $600 G2s is only $80!

He told me they'd considered swapping pcb's but new boards plus labor and re-shipping wasn't enough, so they chose to give back what is basically their markup on the sale to whoever the retailer was I bought it from. In my case B&H.

He was nice enough, and didn't talk down to me, but it's still a crappy trade-in.

Maybe selling it on E-Bay in Canada or Mexico might work. I'd think you could get more than 80 bucks!

csandy
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree, that's exactly what I suggested above. You are allowed to export the mics according to the FCC. I don't know where Canada and Mexico are in their digital transition, but if the mics are legal there (I'd list globally on eBay actually, to all the easy countries to export to like the UK, Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, Brazil....). You're right, I'd set $80 as a reserve and let them go. Those are some good mics.