PDA

View Full Version : Corsair H50 - Cool 'Cooler'

Matt
03-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Just wanted to share the results I got from installing my new CPU cooler, the Corsair H50. Which is an integrated water cooler for those who can't be fussed setting up an entire water cooling rig.

My previous one was a Zalman 'Aero-Flower' air cooler.

Dead easy to install, and a huge drop in core temperatures.

Here are the results:

COBRASoft
03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm very interested in this cooler myself, but I'm waiting for the release of the I9 cpu. That will be great in my current I7 system.

Thanks for posting your results, now I'm even more convinced!

Matt
03-08-2010, 11:45 AM
When is all the new 'tech' coming out anyway? CPUs, Mobos and GFX cards? I want to upgrade but would be daft to do it now, since all the top of the range stuff now has been for a while (in computing standards).

Plus EVERYTHING is very difficult to get hold at the moment.

erikals
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
i read a very good review of this cooler.
conclusion, -very good -very cheap

don't need it myself atm, couldn't handle the noise anymore from the previous hardware,
so i placed the pc outside. (yep, outside)

made a Big wooden cabinet.
no noise.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

Matt
03-08-2010, 12:17 PM
i read a very good review of this cooler.
conclusion, -very good -very cheap

don't need it myself atm, couldn't handle the noise anymore from the previous hardware,
so i placed the pc outside. (yep, outside)

made a Big wooden cabinet.
no noise.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

Less noise was the reason I bought this (not because I wanted to overclock) to help combat the noise fan I had in my PC when doing video tutorials (so I was thinking of you all!) :D. This thing is almost silent (the pump becomes slightly noisier when the PC is taxed). But now all I can hear is my PSU fan.

Tranimatronic
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I7 970 due out Q3 this year. 3ghz 6 cores I believe. I don't have a home machine at all now. Waiting until then. ;)

COBRASoft
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, I just installed this cooler in my I7 system! IT ROCKS!!! About 20c colder than my previous one.

About the I7-980, a company I know has a test version of this cpu here in Beglium and I can preorder if I want: € 999! Some info of the cpu, overclocking to 4,46GHz with AIR cooling is stable. That's having 12 cores, 12MB L2 cache, can you imagine that? Too pricy for me at the moment, but I'll keep a close eye on it when the prices drop.

Boris Goreta
03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Doesn't 980 have 6 cores and 12 threads ?

ken_g9
03-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Nice drops in temp there Matt. I've been checking out this cooler myself but plan to get it when I upgrade to a Core i7 setup. Similarly, I'm also using the Zalman flower type cooler so I guess I'll have an idea of the temp drops.

A question though...What case do you use? Did you place the radiator in front or at the back of the case (or on top)? :D

COBRASoft
03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Doesn't 980 have 6 cores and 12 threads ?

Boris: yes, of course... was fast typing... Nevertheless, 50% more cores/threads than I7-975 @ 32 nm instead of 45nm!

biliousfrog
03-26-2010, 03:21 AM
It's a nice cooler to be sure. I've got mine blowing air out of the back of the case (Lian Li v1000 plus) which wouldn't normally be ideal but the PSU is seperated and cool air is directed straight through from the front fan and through the H50. Most of the articles I read concerning the cooler before I bought it said that they were using it in the same way, it doesn't make much sense to have it suck air through the back when the PSU is blowing out warm air right next to it.

I was running my 920 at 4.2ghz for days at a time with no heating issues, it would peak at around 46 degrees. Unfortunately my RAM appears to have problems with running at those speeds and randomly crashes (though not when rendering!?!) so I'm back to stock speeds until I find a stable setup.

Matt
03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
A question though...What case do you use? Did you place the radiator in front or at the back of the case (or on top)? :D

I have a Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution.

At the moment I have it (as they suggest) sucking air in from the back of the case (mounted on the inside, so case | fan | radiator)

But as pointed out by biliousfrog ...

It doesn't make much sense to have it suck air through the back when the PSU is blowing out warm air right next to it.

So I'm going to change it and have it blow air out across the radiator.

Currently my case is all open to get some air in there, as when it was all closed up as normal, and then any stress put on the system, the PSU fan went nuts because the H50 was pulling in warm air from the rear of the case (next to PSU exhaust) blowing it into the case, and because the PSU intake fan is right above the cooler, that warm air was pulled into the PSU intake, basically creating a perfect cycle of warm air!!!!

So, gonna change that I think!

biliousfrog
03-26-2010, 04:25 AM
It's an unusual concept really because we're used to thinking of air inside the case being hot...but the main things that cause heat are the PSU and CPU. The PSU usually draws air from inside the case and blows it out the back, the H50 removes the heat from the CPU and allows you to determine what happens with it...meaning that the case should theoretically be cooler. It's only the RAM, GPU and HD's contributing

It all depends on your case too. Mine is similar to a Mac Pro and has pin holes all over the front, bottom and rear, it also has a side fan. The bottom is sectioned off and has a 12cm front fan drawing air in and the PSU blowing air out. The top section has a 12cm fan drawing air in from the front and over the HD's, the H50 blowing air out of the back and another 12cm fan blowing warm air out of the top/side...but I've just put my hand over the side vent and I can't even feel a difference in air temperature. I thought about putting the H50 on the side vent and drawing in but it would then throw warm air over the GPU...it's all very complicated :D

COBRASoft
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
It all comes down to good airflow inside your case. I have the antec 900-II, this case has a top fan of 20cm or so pulling air out of the case. At the front are 2 fans blowing air inside the case. The PSU is at the back bottom, blowing air out. So, this leaves my H50 to be at the top rear, push/pull (2 fans mounted now) air inside the case which is pulled out by the big fan at the top.

Although it 'seems' unlogical that Corsair says to blow the wind inside your case, but think about a car, the radiator is also where the wind comes inside, because the air outside is normally colder than inside :).

Lewis
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
there is already i7 980X CPUs to buy (that was firstly needed to be i9 but they named it i7 and who knows what i9 will be later). There is lot of them on ebay and price is aroudn 1000$. I almost bought one locally here in Croatia last week but since price is 3x higher than for i7 920 i opted to wait for price drop and in meantime overclock i7 with this H50 cooler as Matt showed. Good thing is that it works on same 1366 X58 MBo as any 1366 i7 :).

Matt
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm gonna be replaced my PC as soon as all the bits are available. I've been having issues with hard drives suddenly disappearing, no errors or anything, just boom, gone. Usually comes back after a reboot, but sometimes I have to clear the CMOS.

Not sure whether it's the drives failing (it's done it on two now) or the motherboard is on the way out. Really hard to track down.

BTW: Speaking of motherboards. I have a Asus Striker Extreme (NF680i) which bascially means there are chipset drivers from the Asus or from nVidia.

Which do you guys install? I had Asus ones on before, but have the nVidia ones on now (the drive thing was happening before that change).

Basically, I'm not sure which ones you are supposed to use.

Lewis
03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I have one Rule and had no problems with MBs if i obey it :)
If you use Intel CPU then go with Intel chipset and then it all works like charm. Whenever i used/installed Intel CPU with other chipsets there is always some incompatibility or problems later on with chipset drivers :).

COBRASoft
03-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Lewis: nice rule, as long as you check the SLI and Crossfire (whatever the name is, it's ATI's SLI) compability of the Intel boards. My collegue had big problems yesterday. He bought a second NVidia card for SLI, but his Intel board only supported ATI :D...

Lewis
03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Lewis: nice rule, as long as you check the SLI and Crossfire (whatever the name is, it's ATI's SLI) compability of the Intel boards. My collegue had big problems yesterday. He bought a second NVidia card for SLI, but his Intel board only supported ATI :D...

Mine supports both and it's Intel x58 :) :)

Asus Rampage II Extreme
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&templete=2

COBRASoft
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Lewis, nice board! I'm also very happy with my Gigabyte x58-Extreme :). No SLI here since I have no use for it (yet). My board and everything around it is ready for a I7 975 or 980 in the near future. I just have to wait for the price drop.

Lewis
03-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Lewis, nice board! I'm also very happy with my Gigabyte x58-Extreme :). No SLI here since I have no use for it (yet). My board and everything around it is ready for a I7 975 or 980 in the near future. I just have to wait for the price drop.

Not sure will they call them 975. Coz i7 975EE is avaliable nowdays and it's 4 cores(8 threads) version clocked at 3.33Ghz and unlocked multiplier. 980x is 6 Cores (12 threads) Gulftown (codename) and you can buy them now if you have wnough $$$$ :).

COBRASoft
03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Lewis, the 975 is available already and has indeed 4 cores; it' salso about € 200 cheaper than the new 980. € 1 000 is just too much for me right now, so I probably wait some more months or I will go for a 965, 975 or whatever that's better than my early 920 with C0 stepping (bad in overclocking compared to D0 ones).

Lewis
03-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I have one ES 975EE available here for 500EUR and it goes at 5.33Ghz at LN2 and about 4.5-4,6 on aircooling but many 920s D0 go to 4.1-4.2GHz at Air cooling at 1/3 price of 975EE so if you aren't going for 980X then better save money and wait for price drop ;).