PDA

View Full Version : x64 RAM

Revel
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Is it possible to utilize 3GB of RAM under x64 machine that have 4GB of total RAM?..
And what do you guys think about Lightwave 9.6 x64 compare to x86 in handling larger scene/ rendering high-poly object?..

_Revel

hrgiger
03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Are you saying your 64 machine is only utilizing 3GB of the 4 you have in your machine? Is your OS 64 bit too?

Revel
03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Yes, my machine is 64bit, and I just recently installed the 64bit version of Lightwave 9.6..last time I work on 32bit machine and when I set the segment memory limit in Layout more than 2000, it wont let me and revert it back to 2000..now that I have the 64bit machine, can I set the segment memory limit more than 2000?...or is it only let me use half of the available memory installed on my system?

_Revel

hrgiger
03-08-2010, 04:46 AM
I was asking about your operating system. Is your OS 64 bit?

Revel
03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Yes, I have Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop installed which mean I run the 64-bit machine right..is there any other way that I can tell my machine run 32-bit or 64-bit other than looking at my OS installed?..

For example my laptop is a 64-bit capable machine, but I have Windows Vista 32-bit installed OS in it..which mean it is still a 32-bit machine?..

*hrm, this makes me confused..

_Revel

calilifestyle
03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
so you gave 4 gigs of ram but it is only using 3 gigs. then one of your ram sticks is bad. Yes by the way. if you have a laptop capable of running 64 bit windows then you have to install 64 windows. If it came loaded with 32 bit.

hrgiger
03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes, I have Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop installed which mean I run the 64-bit machine right..is there any other way that I can tell my machine run 32-bit or 64-bit other than looking at my OS installed?..

Go into my computer and open your C drive. If you have a folder named Program Files and one named Program Files (x86), then your'e running 64 bit. If you just have a Program files folder, chances are you're running a 32 bit OS and anyting over 3GB is probably useless.

Revel
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys..and yes my laptop is a 64-bit capable system but it came with 32-bit vista. Since its not my primary working machine so I'm not planning on buying another Windows 64-bit for it, I'm ok with it only 32-bit for now.

But my desktop because when I purchase Windows 7 it came with 2 installation CDs (32-bit and 64-bit) so I installed the 64-bit instead. And now its a 64-bit machine and 64-bit OS installed.

@calilifestyle
I have 4 gigs installed and it let me use 2 gigs only.
I also think that I have to change my RAM sticks, since its occasionally give me Blue Screens lately. I know one of the cause of the BSoD is a bad RAM sticks right?..

Btw guys, any recommendation on a good RAM sticks to purchase?..right now I have Corsair Dominator Twin 4 gigs (2 x 2 gigs RAM sticks)..It really drive me crazy whenever I the BSoD appear on my screen..planning on upgrading it to 8 gigs.

Thanks for the reply guys. :)

_Revel

EmperorPete
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Possibly similar question here, guys.
I'm running 9.6 64 bit on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, and my PC has 8Gb RAM installed. The PC reports having all 8Gb in there. Looking at the resource monitor, it seems that LW is only using around 2Gb for renders; I seem to have 4Gb or so sitting there doing nothing. Is there any way to increase the amount that LW uses? The RAM is brand new (literally; I put it in today) so hopefully it isn't faulty.

sandman300
03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I think what he's talking about is the "Segment memory limit" found under Render Globals > General. All I can say is I think it must be a software limitation. It does the same thing for me and I have 8GB RAM.

Yes, my machine is 64bit, and I just recently installed the 64bit version of Lightwave 9.6..last time I work on 32bit machine and when I set the segment memory limit in Layout more than 2000, it wont let me and revert it back to 2000..now that I have the 64bit machine, can I set the segment memory limit more than 2000?...or is it only let me use half of the available memory installed on my system?

_Revel

JonW
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
It does sound like “Segment memory limit” . 2000 mb is the limit. This is not an issue unless you are doing very large renders. Even then in most cases it’s not really an issue. I have forgotten the size but if you do an A3 render (5000 x 3500 pixels) it still fits within the 2000 mb.

You can set this exactly if you want, you only need it to be 1 mb more than the cut off for 2 segments. It just a process of elimination, just start the render, if you have 2 segments, stop & change the figure in SML to eventually narrow down the number required for 1 segment.

I just leave mine on 2000 mb & forget about it. Where you need a stack of actual ram is for the scene if it is very complex with lots of polys & large texture maps.

Also if you have had all the view ports showing anything other than Bounding Box. To free up ram you will need to change the view ports to Bounding Box, save & close Lightwave.

The other issue is that you may have some dodgy ram sticks.

sandman300
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I was thinking it would only come into contention if you have a couple of really big texture maps or at least several somewhat big maps.:D

EmperorPete
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Jon; that cleared a lot of things up for me that I wasn't sure about!

3DGFXStudios
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM
It can also be shared video memory. Or a bios setting like memory hole.

I've Corsair Dominator ram in my system and I've to say this is my 3pair because the other ones died on me. So if you get blue screen I guess it could be you memory.

your segment memory isn't real important. I never change it. the default is ok normally. It has noting to do with your problem.

Hopper
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Go into my computer and open your C drive. If you have a folder named Program Files and one named Program Files (x86), then your'e running 64 bit. If you just have a Program files folder, chances are you're running a 32 bit OS and anyting over 3GB is probably useless.
Interesting way to do it I guess.

Or you could just right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". It will tell you 32bit or 64bit... :D

Soth
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the explanation guys..and yes my laptop is a 64-bit capable system but it came with 32-bit vista. Since its not my primary working machine so I'm not planning on buying another Windows 64-bit for it, I'm ok with it only 32-bit for now.
Look at your installation discs that came with laptop, you might got both x64 and 32 bit versions and just need to reinstall other one.