PDA

View Full Version : Error

Steve Kirby
03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Just installed 5.3 and when I close out VT I get this error below...

AppName: vt[5].exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: inputsetup.toast
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000cee8

Does anyone know what this means...thank you

steveg
03-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I was not able to load VT5.3 until I allowed a virus that NewTek had attached to the download. This virus interfears with shutting down VT5.3. I never get any straight answers from tech support so I didn't even bother calling them. I will just live with it till someone complains loud enough to fix it. They weren't concerned with fixing any bugs I discovered in 5.3 so why bother. If anyone is interested the specific virus is called TR/ATRAPS.Gen It is a trojan located in VT(5)Support.exe. I doubt NewTek will even care based on how they handle other problems. I think they want Toaster users to just give up supporting them based on their attitude lately. If anyone wants to fix the bug I hope they will post what to do. Can't close VT5 without crashing till then. Hope this at least explains a little. Thanks NewTek.

SBowie
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
steveg, what virus checker are you running? (There are numerous reports of false positives with this particular trojan being found in various applications from Avira Antivir).

steveg
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I am using Avira.. It pops up every time I close Vt5.3 just before the final statement is suposed to show up then it crashes the Toaster just like Steve Kirby's VT5.3 crashes. It gives the name of the virus when it was created, who created it and where it is located. If I quaranteen or isolate it Vt5.3 won't load.

SBowie
03-07-2010, 04:53 PM
You may want to inquire of Avira. As I said, there have been quite a rash of false positives for this particular trojan from their software, although this is the first time I've seen a report involving NewTek software.

John Perkins
03-08-2010, 09:19 AM
I've rescanned the installers and the installed app using AVG and it isn't finding anything.

I agree that it's looks like a false positive in that particular antivirus app.

steveg
03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I did some further experimenting.
Whether it is a false virus or not VT5.3 will not shut down correctly when I have VT's video monitor module open. It crashes. Is that normal too? Coincidentally that is the only time that Avir says the virus is present. If I close the VTmonitor before exiting the VT5.3 program then VT5.3 seems to shut down normally ant the virus does not show up. Check that one oul.

Scott Bates
03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
FWIW, not seeing any of those problems here and two virus checkers say nothing on the system, said system only online for VT & related updates anyway. VT5.3 is running and shutting down just fine.

SBowie
03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
I suppose interventions taken as a result of the evidently false positive may have left the installation corrupted. I think my first recourse at this point would be to remove and reinstall.

Rich Deustachio
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Here is what that virus is
http://www.scanforfree.com/08/remove-tr.atraps.gen.html

csandy
03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I can confirm Avira has a problem with NewTek installations. I had taken it for granted that it was a false positive and let it through. The heuristic algorithm Avira uses is one of the best I've found. It has saved me from a lot of nasties that other virus checkers let through. I'm guessing Avira's algorithm feels something in the installer is exhibiting trojan-like activity.

The offending file is istalled in a temporary directory. If you trust NewTek and ignore the Avira alert like I did, your software will install correctly and you will not recieve any more warnings on subsequent scans because the temporary file gets deleted.

Perhaps NewTek should independtly verify and either fix or inform tech support and provide some kind of plublic notice that one should click-through the warning - tantamount to what some publishers do by putting a notice in documentation to ignore various warnings in windows upon installation.

I'm guessing that there may already be a warning to disable virus checkers before installation.

None-the-less, I have found an actual virus on a publisher's installation disk before. A call to tech support simply instructed the user to "destroy the disk." Maybe people ignored that, kept the disk, and sued (the virus wiped out everything on your C drive).

csandy
04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I've rescanned the installers and the installed app using AVG and it isn't finding anything.

I agree that it's looks like a false positive in that particular antivirus app.

Perhaps reliance on AVG may be troublesome:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20001449-245.html

animlab
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Is it possible to have a compatible bulletin on NewTek's web site? There is always some programs that conflict with NewTek's products.
As I am selling Stop Motion Pro in Taiwan, I found SMP familes are incompatible to NewTek's products. I believe there are other programs like Avira that make system unhappy.

Paul Lara
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Is it possible to have a compatible bulletin on NewTek's web site?

That seems very impractical for the amount of manpower required to test & verify such incompatibilities, given the massive amount of hardware configurations that can be used with a VT[5] system.

steveg
04-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I went ahead and let Avir antivirus delete the virus in the VT5 upgrade. It deleated the virus now everything I was complaining about not working works normally and I can now exit VT5.3 without crashing. Aparently it was a virus just like Avir said it was. Just to be sure I reinstalled VT5.3 and the virus showed up again along with the problems. Once again as I exited vt5.3 Avir said it was a virus. I once again told it it was ok to delete the virus and everything in VT5.3 started working again. NewTek might want to check this out further instead of just ignoring it and assuming they can't have a virus.

csandy
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Is it possible to have a compatible bulletin on NewTek's web site? There is always some programs that conflict with NewTek's products.

Why don't you start one? Make a thread and see if people contribute, or start something on your own site.

SBowie
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
NewTek might want to check this out further instead of just ignoring it and assuming they can't have a virus.John did check, as he reported earlier in this thread. Have you tried any different anti-virus software to see if you get a confirmation?

steveg
04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Steve you are very good at helping others. And I do appreciate your input. I don't think you read my post completely. I let Avir remove what it thought was a virus in the VT5.3 software. That solved the problems I was having with VT5.3 running correctly and the problem shutting down VT5.3 without crashing. I then tested it by reloading the VT5.3 software a second time. The virus came back and the problems with VT5.3 came back. I then let Avir remove the virus a second time and the VT5.3 problems once again disapeared and VT5.3 runs correctly. You tell me what it looks like.

Zane Condren
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Steve we have tested the installer thats available for download from our site with multiple scanners with no results.

SBowie
04-22-2010, 05:18 AM
I then let Avir remove the virus a second time and the VT5.3 problems once again disapeared and VT5.3 runs correctly. You tell me what it looks like.Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. Software problems can be quite complex, and you seem to have more than your fair share of those, Steve. And I'm not suggesting there could never be such a thing as a virus 'in house' - but as Zane says, your report was taken seriously and the installer tested. That's why I'd be interested to see if you get a similar report from any other anti-virus software. I don't know, but perhaps it's possible that an infection is occurring in some other manner.

steveg
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
After removing the virus a second time I really don't want to risk infecting my computer any further if I don't have to. I do not want to task my computer any further by purchasing another anti=virus program. Avir deleated the virus. It has not shown up since nor do I have any more mysterious VT5.3 problems. I am ok with that you have not experienced anything similar. I am just happy that VT5.3 finally works and shuts down correctly now. Just keep what I experienced in mind if anyone else has the same thing show up with Avir and their VT5.3 crashes or does not shut down correctly. Rest assured that you can tell them to allow Avir to eliminate it and that eliminating it will not adversely affect Vt5.3 but will cure the crashing when shutting down VT5.3.

Quiet1onTheSet
04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Indeed, the suspected files on users' systems that cause Avira® to report the presence of the TR/ATRAPS.Gen trojan are:

SpeedEDIT support.exe
LiveText support.exe
VT[5] support.exe

I have bugged this, relative to LiveText Support.exe installs on "Avira Personal Edition" protected systems here, but that case is still OPEN, likely due to the fact that NewTek has been quite busy lately, and perhaps haven't gotten around to downloading this fantastic freebie, which is available here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/

For the Avira user, the support.exe files wreak havoc with being able to properly install, run and/or shut down NewTek's fine programs, until the offending <Name of NewTek program> Support.exe file is selected in Avira's scanner dialogue box, for quarantine, deletion, or outright removal.

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Steve we have tested the installer thats available for download from our site with multiple scanners with no results.

Frankly, this issue isn't only related to programs downloaded from NewTek's site. Instead, this has also come up after installation of VT[5] from the discs -- unless I unwittingly had the TR/ATRAPS.Gen trojan problem rear its head after a subsequent download of a VT[5] update.

Anywho, please let us know when you've tried Avira Personal Edition, and kindly see what action step you recommend us users take, pending the possibility of NewTek eliminating the problem in the Support.exe files.

Thanks in advance.
Q1

Zane Condren
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I use Microsoft Secruity Essentials and never had an issue.

SBowie
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
AVG - ditto.

Quiet1onTheSet
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Perhaps reliance on AVG may be troublesome:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20001449-245.html

That's huge. Now, how 'bout the latest flack in the news, regarding MacAfee's hugely embarrasing conundrum?

"NEW YORK -- Computers in companies, hospitals and schools around the world got stuck repeatedly rebooting themselves Wednesday after an antivirus program identified a normal Windows file as a virus.

McAfee Inc. confirmed that a software update it posted at 9 a.m. Eastern time caused its antivirus program for corporate customers to misidentify a harmless file..."

For the full scoop, go here:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/22/antivirus-program-goes-berserk-freezes-pcs/?test=latestnews

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
John did check, as he reported earlier in this thread. Have you tried any different anti-virus software to see if you get a confirmation?

Given that Avira PE is free, with the prowess that rivals programs that cost, why would he want to?

AFAIK, Avira is about the very best free Anti-virus app available at this time.

Select one:

Avira vs. AVG
Avira vs. Avast
Avira vs. Kapersky
Avira vs. nod32
Avira vs. Norton
Avira vs. Bitdefender
Avira vs. Eset
Avira vs. MacAfee
Avira vs. Trend-Micro
Avira vs. Symantec

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=avira+vs+avg&ei=UTF-8&fr=hp-pvdt

Q1

SBowie
04-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Given that Avira PE is free, with the prowess that rivals programs that cost, why would he want to?Because, Peter, Avira has been widely reported to provide a false positive in this instance (as discussed below), and it would be unlikely that all or most of the rest of the long list (some of which are likewise free) you provided would report false negatives.

Quiet1onTheSet
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
No need to marginalize Avira® Antivir™ users, discredit NewTek, nor Antivir™ outright or implicitly, as may be happening in more than a few postings here.

Contrariwise, it does appear that the matter of those <name of program > Support.exe files being interpreted by Antivir™ as having something to do with the dreaded TR/ATRAPS.Gen trojan likely hasn't been looked into as closely as might be necessary.

Despite our differences on this, I'm sure you mean well, Steve, but let's agree that given the superior performance of Antivir™, and the superior performance of NewTek's products, this matter is worthy of being studied more closely.

After all, hitherto, nothing in this thread provides us affected users the sense that Avira™ Personal Edition in particular, has been involved in any testing, and that the claim of "false positive" is absolutely certain.

With the help of postings by SteveG, perhaps that will change.

Q1

SBowie
04-23-2010, 08:08 AM
No need to marginalize Avira® Antivir™ users.Q1I'm sure it's a lovely product, Peter, usually (but not always) numbered somewhere in the top ten antivirus products by most authorities - but as I've said, there are numerous reports of it reporting a false positive for this specific trojan, on Antivir's own support site and *elsewhere. Further, mentioning that it occasionally reports a false positive is something even its developer has quite cheerfully done, making the point that false positives are a common problem for antivirus software generally - all brands.

* Here's just one from countless examples: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=262584

Contrariwise, it does appear that the matter of those <name of program > Support.exe files being interpreted as having something to do with TR/ATRAPS.Gen trojan likely hasn't been looked into as closely as might be necessary.Despite assurances, you're making assumptions about what testing has (or hasn't) been done at NewTek, Peter. NewTek has subjected the files in question to numerous tests - rather than relying exclusively on the one product which is widely known to have a problem in this specific instance.

After all, nothing in this thread provides us affected users the sense that Avira™ Personal Edition has been involved in any testing at all, and that the claim of "false positive" is absolutely certain.I have no doubt that Antivir is reacting just as several users have reported, Peter. What would be the point in simply repeating that exercise? What is more interesting is the fact that only Antivir is producing this result. If you have doubts about what has been stated, and are worried that Antivir alone (out of all the others) is indeed correct, I encourage you to follow Avira's own advice and submit a sample file to them for testing - here's the link:

http://analysis.avira.com/samples/index.php

Quiet1onTheSet
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
If you have doubts about what has been stated, and are worried that Antivir alone (out of all the others) is indeed correct, I encourage you to follow Avira's own advice and submit a sample file to them for testing - here's the link:

http://analysis.avira.com/samples/index.php

No worries. I've already deleted the affected Support.exe files from our systems, so I won't be sending any to Avira. Nevertheless, those yet testing the matter might do so, but let's be clear:

By the statements

"Frankly, this issue isn't only related to programs downloaded from NewTek's site..."
and
"...this matter is worthy of being studied more closely",

-- this thread contributor has not challenged what NewTek has stated, but has only alluded to the sense garnered by what has not been stated:

That Antivir™ specifically has not been subject to testing by NewTek, and consequently, a sample file of each programs' Support.exe hadn't been submitted by NewTek to that link you so generously provided.

Not that there's any requirement on their part to do so. As stated previously, they've been very busy lately.

Q1

SBowie
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
... alluded to what has not been stated: That Antivir™ specifically was subject to testing by NewTek, and subsequently, a sample file of each programs' Support.exe has been submitted to that link you so generously provided.We are not in the business of testing third-party software. There is no reason for us to 'test' Antivir, any more than we would 'test' Symantec products, or Avast! or AVG, or for that matter Autocad.

Contrarily, there is every reason for us to test our own products, for which reason we very much appreciate prompt reports of any suspicions. As discussed below, in this instance our testing has not revealed any bona fide problems (naturally, we have no intention of going into specifics, although I will say that beyond what Engineering may do when a specific report comes in, our IT Dept. is constantly on guard for threats of all sorts). If for any reason, someone continues to harbor concerns, external remedies are available for them to pursue (as, for example, the link I posted for Antivir users).

Quiet1onTheSet
04-23-2010, 09:28 AM
No need for condencension in the form of making a false impression of what's been said here (I suspected you'd be tempted to look for syntax ambiguity in an earlier post, as a vehicle for changing the subject).

It's of some comfort to know that even if Antivir was sidestepped, at least some testing has been done, involving scanners from several vendors; and for that we can be grateful.

Q1

SBowie
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I suspected you'd be tempted to look for syntax ambiguity in my last post, as a vehicle for changing the subject.Peter, let me be frank. I have not changed the subject, nor attempted to take advantage of any ambiguity in your prose. I've simply, directly and politely addressed questions and concerns you raised, responding to what you wrote (before revisions). That's all I can do. It would have been presumptuous of me to have tried to guess what you might have meant and replied to that instead.

Edit - Inasmuch as this thread has become circular, everything of value that can be said on the topic already being said, I'm closing it. As always, Tech Support remains available for those with any issues.