PDA

View Full Version : 9.6.1 When??

Tony3d
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
It seems like 9.6.1 is taking forever. Will it ever see the light of day? Any indication how much longer this is going to take? Will 9.6 run in Snow Leopard? What are the known bugs?

4dartist
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes 9.6 runs on snow leopard. There are some bugs.

Dragging panels or windows from primary monitor to secondary monitor (or visa versa) may result in the panel going blank, dragging mouse over the panel will restore the buttons, resizing the panel restores all the buttons. (8core ATI x1900)

Open/Save/Import or any other file request box gets placed on the secondary monitor. Even if you return it to the primary and load something, it will always get placed on the 2nd. If you remove a monitor, then re-add your secondary, the requestors will be on the primary until the first time you drag it to the secondary, then it will stick there until you disconnect the secondary monitor.

File requestors constantly forget where you just saved/opened defaulting to the root directory or something similar. There are exceptions, saving frame locations occasionally remember and jump right into the correct directory.

These are marginally annoying but not show stopping. My 8core has the x1900 ATI video card. These problems may not show up in other 8cores, I'm not sure. There are a few other threads about Snow Leopard and 9.6 that may contain more info.

Nicolas Jordan
03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I think it's being developed in parrallel with Lightwave HC so it will probably be released once Core is released which I am guessing will probably be sometime later this year.

Just because 9.6.1 is in beta doesn't stop you from using it if your a registered 9.x user. It might be worth it to give it a try since it sounds like you want to use it anyway once it comes out. If you have issues with 9.6 on the Mac side of things beta testing is probably the only way to ensure 9.6.1 works well on your system when it is finally released.

I have started using 9.6.1 at work in production with the latest build mainly because it is the best way to find bugs and take advantage of the latest fixes.

4dartist
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Just keep your 9.6 installed too. A good think to know is if you do opt to participate in the beta, the files you save in 9.6.1 do work in 9.6 should you find you encounter a problem and need to finish something in 9.6. ( I have found ).

You'll have to visit the beta sections of forum to find information on current bugs for 9.6.1, I don't think we are allowed to list them here.

Edit: I just have to note, having more then the 32bit cap of 3gb of ram is the most amazing liberating feeling ever! I will no longer have to be the RAM ninja. Soon.. soon..

Tony3d
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Just keep your 9.6 installed too. A good think to know is if you do opt to participate in the beta, the files you save in 9.6.1 do work in 9.6 should you find you encounter a problem and need to finish something in 9.6. ( I have found ).

You'll have to visit the beta sections of forum to find information on current bugs for 9.6.1, I don't think we are allowed to list them here.

Edit: I just have to note, having more then the 32bit cap of 3gb of ram is the most amazing liberating feeling ever! I will no longer have to be the RAM ninja. Soon.. soon..

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should download the Beta. Just hate having multiple copies. still have 9.3.1 on along with 9.6.

Nicolas Jordan
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I suppose I should download the Beta. Just hate having multiple copies. still have 9.3.1 on along with 9.6.

I have 5 versions installed at work including 9.0, 9.2, 9.3.1, 9.6, 9.6.1 beta as well as some 64 bit versions of those listed. ;) I know of one person on these forums that has almost every version of Lightwave installed on various computers and OS' of course.