PDA

View Full Version : FBX, UV Maps and LW.

geothefaust
03-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh the horror... The horror of LW when exporting FBX and it not retaining UV maps.

Is there some secret handshake I must do to get it to save a UV map when I export to FBX?

Oh sorcerer of LW, let your magic rain down from above and help us poor peasants!

Castius
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
This is a FBX/OBJ issue. If no texture is assigned to a object. Then no UVs are exported. It must use this texture to decide what UV to export.

It's like this in Maya/Max/XSI. It's the the most annoying thing in the world. I've had to explain this problem for years now. :twak:

geothefaust
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Ah yes. Just like OBJ, perfect. Well I can live with that for now. :)

Thank you once again good sir! You are like a watchful angel (of death) always looking over my shoulder to help me (crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women!) in times of need.

Carry on!

Castius
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Ya, on the internet I look like this..
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/interviews/Abrar_Ajmal/images/angel_of_death.jpg

geothefaust
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Haha, nice! I always knew... ;)

bazsa73
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Software development. This problem existed 8 years ago.
At least if Lw would ask, hey buddy, you have UVs in your ***, do you want me to save those into the OBJ/FBX/BMX/CNN/BBC file?
yes sure, thanks. Cool. Thanks Jay.

Castius
03-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Screw that i want it to save all UV. Unless i tell it not to.

geothefaust
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Screw that i want it to save all UV. Unless i tell it not to.

Agreed.

UV maps ARE part of the mesh, you might not see them unless you actively want to. But they are part of it none the less, and thus should be so unless the user says otherwise!

Mo'fuggin' programs.

jasonwestmas
03-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I take it that Modeler doesn't import FBX UVs?

geothefaust
03-31-2010, 11:02 PM
I take it that Modeler doesn't import FBX UVs?

Not that I can see, it exports fine if you do like Castius said above, as with also applies to OBJ files, and that is applying the UV map in a particular channel and it will then export with the UV map.

Importing is another story! I believe Cageman once said that he used the old FBX importer and it imported OK with the UV map. But I could be wrong.

jasonwestmas
04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Exporting to Maya 8.5 works fine with many formats. I just have problems exporting to XSI 6.02. with collada, obj and fbx.

I have my work arounds but it would be nice to be able to import into modeler exactly what I exported from modeler.

joelaff
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone know of a way to get UVs from FBX meshes into LW? Will I have to go through XSI or something?

jayroth
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
At least if Lw would ask, hey buddy, you have UVs in your ***, do you want me to save those into the OBJ/FBX/BMX/CNN/BBC file?

Thank the original team for that one, pal. Fixed in v9.6.1.

jasonwestmas
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone know of a way to get UVs from FBX meshes into LW? Will I have to go through XSI or something?

Essentially, you would have to import into max, softimage or maya and then export the object as an obj.

Philbert
04-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Javis are you exporting from Modeler or Layout? Modeler FBX caused me trouble, but when I made my game environment for Unity FBX worked fine, as long as I exported it from Layout.

Sensei
04-10-2010, 10:39 PM

In LW UV Maps are global, not assigned to particular object.
It's visible in LWSDK, when you need to get UV Maps for particular object, it's horror- have to scan all polygons and checking every single point. Which can take a lot of time with huge objects and many uvs.

In Surface Baking Camera you can see what happens if such analyze is ignored- you can have hundred of UV Maps in drop-down list from the all objects in the scene, and bloody no idea which pick up, if you are not author of objects.

I found it recently in development of Batch Baking Camera plug-in (in 3rd party section more info about it), because had to look up UV that really exists in object.

geothefaust
04-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Javis are you exporting from Modeler or Layout? Modeler FBX caused me trouble, but when I made my game environment for Unity FBX worked fine, as long as I exported it from Layout.

Yeah I was exporting from Modeler, then Castius pointed out to me I should try Layout. Which works, but I find that strange. Why not both Modeler/Layout work the same? Oh well.

jasonwestmas
04-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah I was exporting from Modeler, then Castius pointed out to me I should try Layout. Which works, but I find that strange. Why not both Modeler/Layout work the same? Oh well.

Lol, that's freakin strange. I'll have to try that out.

geothefaust
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah it doesn't make any sense at all.

It's also like when you need to save bones from Layout so you can import them in Modeler... You have to save a LW5 scene instead of a default scene, or Modeler will not recognize it and thus not import the bones to skelegons. Annoying!

Sensei
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Of course it does make sense. There are globals available only in Modeler, there are globals available only in Layout, and there are common to both. If plug-in is badly written, it crashes while using on wrong application because global is NULL (often in old times shaders were crashing Modeler). If plug-in is nicely written, it doesn't crash, but also doesn't function correctly (global functionality is usually essential to plug-in). If you have f.e. Light or Camera node, it won't work in Modeler, because there is no LWLightInfo and LWCameraInfo globals. And they cannot be. Modeler doesn't have items, bones, lights, cameras, rendering stuff etc. etc.

geothefaust
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey Sensei, while I understand what you're saying. But from a user standpoint, it's BS that it doesn't work EXACTLY the same in modeler and layout.

Sensei
04-13-2010, 11:20 AM
With unified application we will have other problems.. ;)

geothefaust
04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Haha, this is too true. But I am more then willing to deal with those issues, they seem easier and, at least more consistent. :D

We'll see of course, only time will tell.

PS - Sensei, digging your new plugins you've been releasing. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Chuck
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
This is a FBX/OBJ issue. If no texture is assigned to a object. Then no UVs are exported. It must use this texture to decide what UV to export.

It's like this in Maya/Max/XSI. It's the the most annoying thing in the world. I've had to explain this problem for years now. :twak:

As I'm sure you know (but others reading this might not), it's part of the OBJ standard, and the applications are just following that standard: "If it's not used, don't save it." Since this turns out to be a case where users give less than two hoots for observing a standard, another form of following the standard has cropped up and we've adopted it - if the user has not yet assigned the UV, but elects to save an OBJ, then it is assigned to the color channel, the OBJ is saved, and the UV is then unassigned again so that the user can continue working on the model in the same state as prior to the save.

This new function during OBJ export is in the next builds of LightWave HC and v9.6.1, which should be posting in the next week or so.

We'll be looking into whether a similar approach is suitable for FBX, which we'll be working on soon for the LWHC/v9.6.1 updates.

[Note the edits! We've decided to include the change in v9.6.1.]

jasonwestmas
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
We'll be looking into whether a similar approach is suitable for FBX, which we'll be working on soon for the LWHC update.

Many thanks.

geothefaust
04-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Thank you Chuck!

WillBellJr
04-16-2010, 10:43 AM
As I'm sure you know (but others reading this might not), it's part of the OBJ standard, and the applications are just following that standard: "If it's not used, don't save it." Since this turns out to be a case where users give less than two hoots for observing a standard, another form of following the standard has cropped up and we've adopted it - if the user has not yet assigned the UV, but elects to save an OBJ, then it is assigned to the color channel, the OBJ is saved, and the UV is then unassigned again so that the user can continue working on the model in the same state as prior to the save.

This new function during OBJ export is in the next builds of LightWave HC and v9.6.1, which should be posting in the next week or so.

We'll be looking into whether a similar approach is suitable for FBX, which we'll be working on soon for the LWHC/v9.6.1 updates.

[Note the edits! We've decided to include the change in v9.6.1.]

WOW!! This sounds to me like LW v9.6 is getting some Unity Love??!! :D

Admittedly, Layout's FBX can get into Unity okay but if there's any kind of tune up that makes it work better at the v9.6 level, that's a WONDERFUL THING for LW v9.x! :dance:

-Will

Philbert
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I think the real Unity love will be when Keystone is released.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107219

geo_n
04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
WOW!! This sounds to me like LW v9.6 is getting some Unity Love??!! :D

Admittedly, Layout's FBX can get into Unity okay but if there's any kind of tune up that makes it work better at the v9.6 level, that's a WONDERFUL THING for LW v9.x! :dance:

-Will

Are you able to export more than 1 uvmap per poly in lw?

Castius
04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Very cool Chuck. Thanks for the feedback.

PS. I think the latest version of FBX can store multiple UVs.

WillBellJr
04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Are you able to export more than 1 uvmap per poly in lw?

My focus was getting animations exported into Unity, I haven't even got to the textures yet!

I don't believe I have anything with multiple UVs yet, I'll put that on my test list...

-Will

omegaend
04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
hi good day to everyone, i am new to light wave.Starting to learn the uv mapping.i face a problem which the moment try to paste my texture or image on my 3d object in PS cs4 its looks nice but after that i save as jpeg or other format then open at lightwave 9.5.. the image looks fade out and no clear. i try to use high res pic.. but still the same.can any1 help me... thanks a lot

JMCarrigan
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Welcome to you omegaend. I can't answer I'm afraid - but someone will. By the way. Why Lightwave 9.5? 9.6 is out. You have CORE too?

geothefaust
04-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi omegaend, could you post a screen shot?

Sensei
04-21-2010, 05:05 AM
hi good day to everyone, i am new to light wave.Starting to learn the uv mapping.i face a problem which the moment try to paste my texture or image on my 3d object in PS cs4 its looks nice but after that i save as jpeg or other format then open at lightwave 9.5.. the image looks fade out and no clear. i try to use high res pic.. but still the same.can any1 help me... thanks a lot

Press 'd' in Modeler to open Display Options, go to GL tab, and pick up Texture Resolution.

MacDoggie
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM

I believe because Modeler and Layout are two separate apps, written by tow separate people, separate coding structures which is why we have had to rely on the Hack know as the hub for so long... But, it works... for the most part :D:thumbsup::D