PDA

View Full Version : So, this guy made this animation in Cinema 4D. How could this be done in LW?

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
http://vimeo.com/9396658

I'm keeping my mind open for new techniques to apply to my animations and this caught my eye. It's such a fun look that was wondering if some of the MUCH more experienced Lightwavers here could swing this? I was thinking possibly hypervoxels but I don't have enough experience in Lightwave to figure it out. Any takers?

-Rob

UnCommonGrafx
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Seems like it's something of a reveal of a multi-layered object with a shell to top it all off. 8 layers if I see correctly + shell.
It's pretty creative.
it's one of the few demoed C4D motion graphics I think legacy lw (no extra plugins) could hand. Now that new Core thingy might be able to do this a little easier...

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I know how I would do it in After Effects, problem is that it wouldn't have that nice dimension that is so very obviously 3D. It's almost like an animated boolean operation using a track matte (to use the AE term for it). I could post this in the Core community but I thought I should see what 9.6.1 can do to make this happen.

I know as a motion graphic designer, I use AE to almost a religious level (3-8 hours daily) and I salivate at the possiblity of really integrating 3D into my projects. Zaxwerks 3D doesn't even come close to what AE can do but I know I've only lightly brushed on what I can do for my graphics using Lightwave. I just have to sit down and start using it I suppose

Cageman
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
There are many things one can do with DPKit with Part Move in displacements... Bryphi have a Youtube-channel where he shows alot of tricks (not that one in particular, but similar things).

http://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77

Hopper
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't you simply use clipmaps?

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Do clipmaps work on a full 3D object? I must admit I haven't tried that. I know the demo video did it on a displacement mapped "plane".

-Rob

UnCommonGrafx
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't clipmaps leave holes where the cut away?
Just checked - yup.

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Ahh, thanks for checking. I'm in the middle of a render and the ol Octomac is panting too hard for me to bring up Lightwave 3D. Would moving a displacement map over a mesh achieve a similar result I wonder? It wouldn't make a full extruded 3D font obviously though :/

jin choung
03-04-2010, 05:43 PM
nice.

definitely looks like an animated boolean (using an undulating sin wave object as the "cutter".

not really a lw friendly effect.

although there is an "animated boolean" script around (check flay). but i have a feeling it's not gonna offer the results that will allow for something like that.

jin

p.s. not that this place has anything like that but for ae, videocopilot.net (under free tutorials) rocks!

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that could be done in AE using masks to reveal font and offsetting 3D layers but it wouldn't be nearly as dimensional as that example. I wonder if Blender could pull that off if LW couldn't.

-Rob

metahumanity
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
...displacements...?

jin choung
03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
displacements probably wouldn't look as clean.

blender probably can because you can animate booleans ...

jin

UnCommonGrafx
03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Ya know what could do it if you did enough models of it? Endomorphs.
Type out the words;
Make endos which are scaled down over a sequence. Like, just the tops or a poly loop at a time so that the volume isn't lost.
Magnet might even work.
With smartmorph, fewer endos would be needed.

Ah ha, and here's something that I think could work right now for this: Effectors. OldTek can get it done.

UnCommonGrafx
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Alas, maybe not an effector...

inquisitive
03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
He posted a tutorial on how he did it. I dont have sound so I cant hear it right now (headphones pluged into the VT5).

Dodgy
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#Boolean_texture

This type of animation can be easily made with this plugin. Here's an example, with blocks filling into form a larger version. All the blocks are fully 3d. Forgive the crudity, it was only a five minute rush job.

Mr Rid
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
One jury rig-
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=955632&postcount=7

The hard part in a pluginless LW is keeping a bevel on the booleaned edges. I can see displacement allowing a bevel only on the front (not sure offhand what normal displace might do). Am sure something can be MacGrubered.

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Oh so very close. I think one of the things that really sells it is the soft edge bevel that catches the light. It gives it that almost candy feel. I can see this being used in commercials as well. I'll listen to his tutorial again but it would be one thing to translate something like that from Cinema 4D to Lightwave. I think Core could do it. I'll post a copy of this in the HardCore forum.

-Rob

P.S. Thanks guys for helping me puzzle this one out. It's a cool look to achieve.

SplineGod
03-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Heres a very quick test.
Its a single endomorph driven by a texture.
I then md scanned it and applied it to 4 other copies
and used DPonts mdpointer nodes to offset the playback of the mdd file on each layer. Didnt take too long to do. :) I also need to fix the V on the model but oh well... :)
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/11172/Layers/
I would also be possible to use Jins idea with Dponts Boolean shader node.

TheDynamo
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the help figuring this thing out guys. I can't wait to give it a try at home (or at work when inbetween AE deadlines). Are there any sources like tutorials, articles or even a page or two to look for in the user guides that I can learn this from? I knew there had to be a way to do this in Lightwave.

-Rob

Elmar Moelzer
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
There is also a plugin called fertilizer by Sebastian Goetsch, that might be able to help (it is for growing stuff).

dandeentremont
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
If you want to make a soft edge look with a Boolean, you can model the "cutters" in such a way that they shear off at the edge of the letter object.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/papalive/Result.gif

jin choung
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
If you want to make a soft edge look with a Boolean, you can model the "cutters" in such a way that they shear off at the edge of the letter object.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm109/papalive/Result.gif

nice... that's it.

jin

TheDynamo
03-05-2010, 04:32 PM
On the money. Thanks Dan! Now to try this out at home

erikals
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
very cool, i think SplineGod's method has a lot of fun potential though if you wanna go another route to make something funky and different.

SplineGod
03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Actually I think combining what I did with the boolean textures would be interesting :)

jeric_synergy
03-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Now that new Core thingy might be able to do this a little easier...
Why do people say things like this? Maybe someday in the far future, but CORE is pretty much still alpha.

It's pointless. It's like saying "Silo 9.0 will be able to do this." We have real useful software NOW.

UnCommonGrafx
03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
You are correct, and I am using it.
And forming the future.

As to your question, I think it's based on one's exhuberance for the expected unknown and the comparison to C4Ds methodologies and abilities in its mograph module.

As I also said somewhere up there, this is one where I believe what we have can get the job done; that this isn't one where we have to wait. Pointless to you, I can see; for me, you seem to be saying the same thing as I when the whole statement is taken into context.

Cageman
03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Why do people say things like this? Maybe someday in the far future, but CORE is pretty much still alpha.

It's pointless. It's like saying "Silo 9.0 will be able to do this." We have real useful software NOW.

Well... I don't think UnCommonGrafx meant that one should wait for CORE to achive something like that. And I have to agree with him on that CORE will probably offer an easier path to achive the result asked for in this thread. With that said, I agree that one should look for solutions that are avaliable right under the nose rather than hoping for something that might come up in x months/years ahead, but again, I do not think UnCommonGrafx comment was meant as such.

Mr Rid
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
The instancing is ever greener just over the next displacement.

Stooch
03-07-2010, 12:18 AM
hmm, what if you took an extruded text with an extremely heavily subdivided front face and then just slide a few directional, layered displacement gradients referencing a null - across that face. like 6 or 7 of them. one adding to the one below it.

seems like that would work with out needing any plugins, by pushing the front polies out with each successive wave.

Mr Rid
03-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Right, the problem is you could only bevel the front edge.

Pensart
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm no plugin developer or script writer but i'm asking myself, would it be that hard to write a plugin that extrudes or and bevels after importing a 2d shape into layout? I think it's the most proper way to archieve this result. it would be a great addition to have such "modifiers?" in layout.

Stooch
03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm no plugin developer or script writer but i'm asking myself, would it be that hard to write a plugin that extrudes or and bevels after importing a 2d shape into layout? I think it's the most proper way to archieve this result. it would be a great addition to have such "modifiers?" in layout.

isnt that the point of creating CORE?

Pensart
03-08-2010, 03:22 AM
I think so. I'm currious what the future Core will bring us :)

SplineGod
03-08-2010, 08:00 AM

There are some 3rd party solutions like fertilizer or Dponts Shifter Node that can do much of that :)

Pensart
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
In that case u could create your logo and make a sequence of shapes by using some cutting and importing the sequence of objects in layout?
Edit: No intel based mac version :(

NanoGator
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Right, the problem is you could only bevel the front edge.

Hmm I wonder if the pre/post sub-d geometry could settle that.