PDA

View Full Version : archive

meshmaster
09-08-2003, 08:29 AM
an archive option like what Caligari's truespace has would be nice... essentially all that it does is create a folder with the objects scene and textures all in one place so that you won't have to go looking all over the hard drive for them if you email or copy the project to cd, etc... really nice option to do as last step before zipping up everything for later.

Earl
09-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Yup, a sort of "Pack and Go" option would be nice, putting all files into a single folder and changing the reference paths to the root folder, so when you try to open a scene file at a later date after copying it over from a CD, you won't get those annoying windows pop up telling you that an object file or an image file can't be located or isn't in the specified path.

I'm sure most people could find some benfit out of an option like this.

Elmar Moelzer
09-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Ahem, if I am not missunderstanding what you say, there is already something like that. It is called LWconman, or ContentManager.
It does exactly what you describe and it even ships with LW.
CU
Elmar

Earl
09-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Yet another thing hidden away because it has no spot on the menu or commands asigned to it!

However, I think meshmaster (and myself) were referring to something very simple. You click "Pack and Go" (a phrase from PowerPoint) and a simple one line dialogue appears asking where to create the scene folder. Then, without any labor on the users part, the file is saved to that specified folder, and all associated or linked objects, textures, etc are copied to that folder as well, the reference to each one updating automatically (to reference it to the same folder, not to the path of that folder).