PDA

View Full Version : Picture of the Month?

erikals
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Some claim other 3D packages have better galleries, i tend to agree, but basically because the art is hand picked.

So, how 'bout a "Picture of the Month" section over here?

erikals
03-03-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Monthly pictures will be nominated by using the forum "Rate Thread" option...

Hopper
03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
The solution is to simply have a better gallery. Not much mystery in that.. Not to be negative about it, but a picture of the month isn't a valid solution for more obvious reasons than not.

erikals
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
not sure i agree,...

nov09
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104126

dec09
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104836

jan10
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105717

feb10
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105477

Intuition
03-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Just add a top row. Sorry, had to throw that in again.

Most great CG sites have a top row. It gives the feeling that there is always something going on.

Iain
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Most great CG sites have a top row. It gives the feeling that there is always something going on.

Yep, something to do with CG no less.

This site has all its art buried.

sampei
03-04-2010, 02:02 AM
how about newtek throwing in something for the winner, there's no better motivation than a prize ! oh wait...

biliousfrog
03-04-2010, 03:02 AM
Another vote for top row...although maybe those selected for the top row are moved to a 'featured' area which just contains the best of the gallery images.

OnlineRender
03-04-2010, 03:16 AM
why not just jump over to SQ right click view source , steal code ......ta da ....kiddin Wes , but I'm highlighting how easy it would be to embed a simple html or javascript to the boards ... so why haven't NT done it .....?

there must be a good reason for it , again I stress the NT forum is alot smarter than you give it credit for ...
I think your going to see change soon !

cresshead
03-04-2010, 03:26 AM
i'm also in favor of the 'top row' idea as well as a latest image row too..

just mimic what's on the zbrushcentral forums...perfect blend of uptodate latest images as well as a top row of "best renders"

keeps the site loooking fresh and intetresting

sampei
03-04-2010, 03:35 AM
i'm also in favor of the 'top row' idea as well as a latest image row too..

just mimic what's on the zbrushcentral forums...perfect blend of uptodate latest images as well as a top row of "best renders"

keeps the site loooking fresh and intetresting

:agree:

Iain
03-04-2010, 04:04 AM
not sure i agree,...

nov09
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104126

dec09
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104836

jan10
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105717

feb10
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105477

The other thing is that there's a ton of good work in the Speed modelling challenges that just gets lost.
BeeVee tried his best at the time but all we could get was a generic sticky.

If some of them were spotlighted every now and again (even for the modelling standards shown) as well as regular gallery picks, I think this would be a much more dynamic site.

I can cherry pick what I view on sites like Evermotion quite easily because the mods have already sifted through all the render posts.

For once, I'm happy that a topic has come up again :)

OnlineRender
03-04-2010, 04:22 AM
The other thing is that there's a ton of good work in the Speed modelling challenges that just gets lost.
BeeVee tried his best at the time but all we could get was a generic sticky.

If some of them were spotlighted every now and again (even for the modelling standards shown) as well as regular gallery picks, I think this would be a much more dynamic site.

I can cherry pick what I view on sites like Evermotion quite easily because the mods have already sifted through all the render posts.

For once, I'm happy that a topic has come up again :)

I highlighted this issue aswell , your renders and Richards and peers are excellent work , and the rate / speed that they are made should be shown off to other 3D artist , if anything it strengthins LW modelling aspect .

my suggestion was a speed modelling gallery with all the speed models that have been uploaded , co-inside stamped with NT logo.

I could knock up a basic html template but im stuck for time atm and im sure someone here would be able to do better .

Iain
03-04-2010, 04:26 AM
We should probably just keep banging on about it with a thread like this every week.

This is a great forum with a lot of intelligent, even tempered(compared to the competition) discussion and I think it would be thought of pretty highly in the industry if it just had some artwork, somewhere!

probiner
03-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Let me be the "attorney" of mods for a tiny second. I do agree with all you say, but if mods talked, i think one word would be enough:

Spinquad =)

sampei
03-04-2010, 04:45 AM
not to keen on a speedmodeling gallery by itself, and to be honest I would unify the lightwave and 9.6 galleries, I really don't see the point of having 2.
Maybe a locked sticky thread in the gallery with the winners or even an award winning gallery like on cgtalk where the original threads can be just copied...and eventually a locked sticky with the speedmodeling winners. oh and the zbrush central/luxology banner is an absolute must imo.

BlueApple
03-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Intuition, Iain, Cress... etc. are all right. A top row is the way to go. The absence of one makes the forum look flat and dead relative to some of the other folks that have one.

It's obviously more work to manage properly (a top row that isn't updated regularly would be bad), but if the resources to do it are there then it's something I'd like to see here at NT.

erikals
03-04-2010, 06:24 AM
hm, yes, maybe top row would do it...

so top row then... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif
(i'd vote for more thumbnails than on SQ though... more like ZBC...)

Iain
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Top row, Top row, Top row, Top row, Top row, Top row, Top row, ......

Tranimatronic
03-04-2010, 07:05 AM
I love the idea of the top row. Being able to add animations would be cool too.

erikals
03-04-2010, 07:13 AM
nice idea, but animation thumbnails can be a bit distracting, though.

BlueApple
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
nice idea, but animation thumbnails can be a bit distracting, though.

Agreed. They also suck resources, especially on mobile devices. I like rolling over an image and seeing portions of the animation as a possible solution.

Hopper
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
top row, top row, top row, top row, top row, top row, top row, ......
+1

Titus
03-09-2010, 05:48 PM

+1

Cageman
03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Top row!

And... all finished Top row work, goes straight here:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/95_gal.php

That part of the site really needs to get some updates... seriously!

erikals
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
yes, good idea. http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

Larry_g1s
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I like it....Top Row!

sampei
04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
well the majority agrees on the top row ! please ? ;D

GandB
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I agree with this, as well as having an improved (and easily accessible) new Gallery. Show off the work of the great (and upcoming) Lightwave Artists!:thumbsup:

I think that will also garner more involvement from the community as well. Then you can start working on more "case studies" and WIPs.

Replace the :newtek: Newtek Discussion Forums; with the top row banner of graphics, as someone said....just like SQ (and Wes) did.

-Keith

Matt
04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Agree with the top row, they would help promote more quality work being submitted as people vie for it's attention.

GandB
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM
they would help promote more quality work being submitted as people vie for it's attention.
That's the other thing; there would be even more "prestige" to it, than just a Gallery entry.:thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
04-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Agree with the top row, they would help promote more quality work being submitted as people vie for it's attention.Quality is a key word. I think we should keep the standard relatively high. I think it would be good for the community to achieve, but also to help promote what LW can do.

GandB
04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Absolutely; set the standard high, give the newer "up and comers" something to aspire to!

Infinite
04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
A top row would be a good idea. In fact it would have been a good idea way back in 2000!

A few lines of code added to the vBulletin back end and hey presto. Come on Newtek! :thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
In fact it would have been a good idea way back in 2000!:lol:

realgray
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM

+1

calilifestyle
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I think you guys are missing the point of the top row or any of the ideas thus far. Your assuming that people are coming to this place, are typing "http://www.newtek.com/forums/index.php" but in reality Newtek has to promote this "http://www.newtek.com/" . so if anything, this has to change some. Or should i say a lot of change is needed,to the main page.

Iain
04-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I think you guys are missing the point of the top row or any of the ideas thus far. Your assuming that people are coming to this place, are typing "http://www.newtek.com/forums/index.php"

I'm not sure we are. Once you find a site you like, you go back.

There are about 6 CG sites I visit regularly which are in my drop down browser bar.
For each, I am taken to the forums page and all of them greet you with a high quality top row except this one.

That makes it the hardest to navigate and the least exciting to view.

biliousfrog
04-07-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm not sure we are. Once you find a site you like, you go back.

There are about 6 CG sites I visit regularly which are in my drop down browser bar.
For each, I am taken to the forums page and all of them greet you with a high quality top row except this one.

That makes it the hardest to navigate and the least exciting to view.

I understand what califstyle is saying, if I was interested in seeing what Lightwave can do I'd go to google and type in 'lightwave'...and I'd get this: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=lightwave&meta=&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=459b761b84e2996a

The NewTek site is confusing and doesn't show anything obvious, the LightWave site is MUCH better but the gallery has such a wide variety of images from stunning to extremely average and there's not really much there. The 'community' link isn't very obvious and the front page makes a big deal about Siggraph '08...so, apart from helping the existing LW community, how is a better gallery here going to help NewTek and LightWave to gain customers?

As an existing user I know to type in newtek forums to get to the decent stuff.

It's not just a matter of improving the gallery on the forum but a better layout and integration of NewTek's entire web presence. I believe that there should be a top row gallery but I also believe that it should be fully integrated into the NewTek and LightWave home pages just like Luxology and Pixologic's sites. At present the web side of NewTek is almost exactly like the interfaces of the software, buttons and menus tagged on and buried with bit's and pieces spread all over the place...knock it down and start again:compbeati

Iain
04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
apart from helping the existing LW community, how is a better gallery here going to help NewTek and LightWave to gain customers?

Well that's how all these Vbulletin sites work. CGTalk, Spinquad, Evermotion. You go to the main page first and have to find your way to the galleries and forums.
Once you get there, if it's any good, you'll go straight to those sections in future. I'm not a max user but I check out Evermotion regularly because the gallery is so strong and like with SQ and CGTalk, I skip the Home page.
A good top row over the forums is the key to that hook.

That's my take anyway.

biliousfrog
04-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Well that's how all these Vbulletin sites work. CGTalk, Spinquad, Evermotion. You go to the main page first and have to find your way to the galleries and forums.
Once you get there, if it's any good, you'll go straight to those sections in future. I'm not a max user but I check out Evermotion regularly because the gallery is so strong and like with SQ and CGTalk, I skip the Home page.
A good top row over the forums is the key to that hook.

That's my take anyway.

But, with the sites you mention, you're greeted with a gallery from the start and the forums are treated as part of the main site. With CGTalk for example, the gallery and forums are under 'cgtalk.com'...it's not 'cgtalk.com/forums/gallery.php' or whatever. Spinquad, Evermotion, luxology, pixologic, blender...everything is there in front of you and designed to draw the viewer further into the site...all from a simple, easy to remember, url.

Compare that to the NewTek site (top spot on google search for Lightwave) which doesn't have a gallery at all, only really pushes Tricaster and has a total of 31 menu items in 7 groups as well as a whole bunch of icons and news feeds...all info, nothing eye catching.

The LightWave site (#2 spot) has 35 menu items in 7 groups along the top as well as all the other menu links down the side, the gallery isn't in a obvious spot, very prominent or up to date and the 'big news' is a selection of exhibition videos from 2 years ago. In fact, the Lightwave site (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave) doesn't actually need any of the top menu links, they're just copied from the main site.

The Lightwave forums don't actually appear on a google search at all so adding a gallery is almost pointless because potential viewers will probably be put off by the NewTek site and the accompanying LightWave site.

There is a reason that many CG related websites look very similar - it works and the viewer is comfortable with it. The problem with the Newtek sites is that it is designed to be functional rather than user friendly. If there was genuinely a need to have 40+ menu items on the front page everyone would do it, the truth is that CG folk looking for the right application want to see results first, they'll consider the rest later.

My suggestion would be that the NewTek site is split into sections, maybe: 3d/animation, editing, streaming. From there the Lightwave page contains the 'top row' gallery, news and most popular forum topics with links to Lightwave case studies, new features etc. and, off course, the forum itself.

The customer care link is irrelevent unless you own the product in which case you have access to your own registration section...the same goes for the member freebies and possibly the training links. The reseller link can be combined with the buy now link. The products link is irrelevent, you just need a link back to the NewTek home page...which can also contain the about us link.

It just needs a bloody good sort out and tidy up.

aurora
04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I say yes and then do what others do. AT the end of the year make a calendar from them and add a couple smaller images from other great pieces and send them out as Christmas presents to LW customers!!!

Soth
07-31-2010, 10:00 AM
bump

Tippsy
07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
I think biliousfrog has valid points that the whole design of the sites could be much more beneficial to getting new customers etc. But I doubt NT has the time to be able to redesign or even add stuff into their sites, I think at the least the top row idea is a good start, easy to do and allows new users and existing users to see really good work fast and maybe get some inspiration for the future. Yes NT could do a lot more but at least start out small and make a difference somewhere.

Elmar Moelzer
07-31-2010, 03:59 PM
I love the idea of a top row. I think that not just outstanding LW- renders, but also top news and top videos done with NTs video equipment could go there.
Of course maintaining something like that does require a lot of effort and work. NewTek is not in the business of running a CG- website. So it is not quite fair to compare this page to a page like CGtalk.
I think it depends on how much resources NT really has available for maintaining the site and the forums, etc.
Generally I would love to see a top row, but only if enough resources are there to keep it maintained. Otherwise, better not.