PDA

View Full Version : gamma correct a huge list of images... how?

Mattoo
03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Hello,

Haven't been wavin' in a while, little bit rusty to be honest.

Anyway, I have a data set that uses a huge amount of small images that I need to render in Lightwave.

I likes my linear workflow and was planning on gamma correcting the images (apply FP Gamma at 0.454545) to each and every image in the Image Editor.

Sadly, the Image Editor does not allow me to apply this single filter to all images (over 1000) in one go. I don't fancy doing it by hand!

Any tricks?

Many thanks
Matt

PS. I did look at scripting/macro, but the Recorder doesn't pickup the addition of the FP Gamma node, merely a 'Refresh'.

Help!

UnCommonGrafx
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Tried them as a sequence?

Mattoo
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
That would require renaming the textures, and thus reassigning in the surfaces.... all 1000+ of them. :(

UnCommonGrafx
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
If you have 9.xx, go get the update that's available. It will load images, gamma corrected should you so desire.
At that juncture, no need for the hoops you are looking for.

Mattoo
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm running 9.6 and beta. Certainly the images don't automatically load gamma corrected into Lightwave at the moment - unless I'm missing a new feature that I haven't noticed and have failed to activate?

Normally I might add an FP Gamma of 0.454545 for every image and then save the renders linearly as exr or apply G2 or FP Gamma as an Image Filter at the other end on the renders for preview F9s.
But as I said, I haven't used Lightwave for this sort of stuff in just over a year so I'm wondering if there are any new solutions to this?

UnCommonGrafx
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, something about that was in the docs, I believe. Or I stumbled over it.
Preferences>CS
One of those might get done what you want. I think changing any of them to sRGB does gamma correction of 2.2. (I don't really remember if this is right but when clicked upon, it looks to be the same as a 2.2 gamma application.)

probiner
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Why don't you just make a backup of the +1000 images, gamma correct them in batch and when you reopen up the scene file... voilá...
It's a workaround.. but.. it might work...

http://files.vicman.net/ccwinst.exe free software to color correct in batch

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Yeah, something about that was in the docs, I believe. Or I stumbled over it.
Preferences>CS
One of those might get done what you want. I think changing any of them to sRGB does gamma correction of 2.2. (I don't really remember if this is right but when clicked upon, it looks to be the same as a 2.2 gamma application.)
That's LWHC which is a part of Core, not 9.6.1

Cheers,
Mike

Mattoo
03-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Thanks guys, I'm not on Core. As you mentioned Probiner, I can and probably will have to make the adjustment outside although I'm dreading the mess it'll make of some gradients.

cheers guys.

Cageman
03-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello,

Haven't been wavin' in a while, little bit rusty to be honest.

Anyway, I have a data set that uses a huge amount of small images that I need to render in Lightwave.

I likes my linear workflow and was planning on gamma correcting the images (apply FP Gamma at 0.454545) to each and every image in the Image Editor.

Sadly, the Image Editor does not allow me to apply this single filter to all images (over 1000) in one go. I don't fancy doing it by hand!

Any tricks?

Many thanks
Matt

PS. I did look at scripting/macro, but the Recorder doesn't pickup the addition of the FP Gamma node, merely a 'Refresh'.

Help!

Out of curiosity, why do you not apply that in the Processing tab instead of using an imagefilter plugin?

EDIT: If using the gamma-slider in Processing-tab, you can do it on multiple images at the same time... Just curios what the difference is by doing it that way compared to applying an imagefilter.

Mattoo
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Ah cool, didn't even think to try the processing tab.

Reason that I'm going for the FPGamma is that it's my understanding the processing tab is only 8bit precision and thus would crunch the blacks.

That's just what I have in my head from going waaaay back... honestly not sure if it's true. Didn't even think to try it, just habit to add the FPGamma!

JeffrySG
03-06-2010, 08:48 PM
If you have Photoshop you could just run a batch script on the images also, right?