PDA

View Full Version : Pheeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Matt
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Just had a bit of a major scare here. My 'Projects' drive decided to become problematic, taking ages for Windows to recognise it (which was my boot time was very loooooooong!) Then it decided to not be recognised at all.

Had it gone down completely, I would have lost EVERY PROJECT I'VE EVER DONE! All the graphics I've created, interface stuff, video tutorials, LW files I've collected over the years, websites I've done, photos and paid iTunes music!

Fortunately my LW projects are synced with my PC at work, so I wouldn't have lost all that.

It's seems to have been repaired by Windows, but boy am I backing up now or what! (I know, I know, I know, I should know better!)

This is just a reminder to all those who like me have everything you DON'T want to lose on one drive! Very, very silly of me.

I think the time has come to invest in a NAS system.

Intuition
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Hah, had a scare like that last year. Once the drive came up I went to best buy and bought a usb drive and did back up and then proceeded to copy the important stuff to a second computer as well a a 3rd back up.

Andyjaggy
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
It only takes once.

I now backup once a week on a portable hard drive which I keep at home. And backup on another portable hard drive once a month which I keep at an external location. Can never be too careful about those things. :)

colkai
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Yep, I have 2 redundant copies of all I've done as well as backing up regularly to DVD.

Same with my coding, I know of at least 3 places I can access what I have, right up to the end of work today. Happened once, never again!

Captain Obvious
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Seriously, don't people make backups?

tudor
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I lost 10 years of work just 6 months ago... No backup. Don't know why, just that drives crash for other ppl, not me, I thought or something. Or 'I'll buy a backup drive soon, I just need this one other thing 1st'.

Well, now I got a network drive that backups everything every morning.
Won't bring my old data back, but will keep this from happening again.

MentalFish
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
i think I have about 2.5 copies of all my files, some are on 2 external hard drives while others across 3, so if i hook up an external disc and its all dead, then I don't need to fret. Also good to have an external disc connected and running Time Machine... aah.. so easy to sleep at night.

Still have DPaint files from my Amiga days around :)

walfridson
03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Thought this would be Matt's "10,000 thread"

oh well...

monovich
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM

not until they've been burned.
My conversion moment was when I nuked a two disk raid with EVERY PROJECT I'VE EVER DONE on it.
For two days I stared blankly at the wall, then I actually found some software that could rebuild the raid and I recovered 90% of it.

Now I'm backed up nightly, although I don't have offsite backups. I guess I haven't been burned badly enough yet.

3DGFXStudios
03-03-2010, 02:23 PM

I do it every day :thumbsup:

nemac4
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Now I'm backed up nightly, although I don't have offsite backups. I guess I haven't been burned badly enough yet.

Oh man,.. now THAT is scary. Just thinking that regular backups may not be enough. Yikes!

mythek1
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-scared-smileys-468[1].gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Scared-Smileys.html)

Flippin' ek! I'm going shopping for some DVD's in the morning.

*Pete*
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM

oh well...

Lol

No, that one got used in hc forum, unfortunately...did you prepare a party?

Lightwolf
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
My conversion moment was when I nuked a two disk raid with EVERY PROJECT I'VE EVER DONE on it.
I've had a 5 disc Raid-5 + spare drive go down a few years ago. Every couple of hours (while it was rebuilding and I was frantically moving current projects to a different location) another drive would go down until I had 4 out of 6 drives down.

Luckily only projects in progress weren't backed up, and I had those copied off in time.

Cheers,
Mike

SBowie
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
No, that one got used in hc forum, unfortunately...did you prepare a party?10001 is also kind of special - if he hasn't used that. :)

OnlineRender
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
here's a tip I learnt .................

8gig dual layer DVD ....backup your data ....seal it and post it to your mother or sister or whomever ...... get them to keep it in a box .. the queens head *chuckle* will also copyright the data for you .

HD's have a bad habbit of becomming corrupt . .

Hopper
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Backups are for sissies.

OnlineRender
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Backups are for sissies.

I love the smell of CGI in the morning .....................

food is for the weak !

COBRASoft
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Matt and other: do yourself a favour. Visit https://mozy.com/ and get MozyHome Ultimate. I backup almost 9GB in total, twice a day. The backup system only backups what has changed and they keep your files for 30 days, even after a delete!

hrgiger
03-03-2010, 06:42 PM

oh well...

No, he saved that for the latest CORE build.

cresshead
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
backups...everyone should do their important stuff...and often.

and a backup means a DIFFERENT DRIVE not just a revision of a file or a copied folder on the same drive!

best invention in recent years?
usb thumb drives...simple..effective and fast for your most recent work backups.

also online storage like this
http://www.humyo.com/

note, a backup drive will still BURN just as well as your main drive in a house fire.

JeffrySG
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Amazon S3 and JungleDisk great combo for backups...

edit: it looks like JungleDisk has changed into a monthly charge.. It used to be just $25 and then you just would pay your AmazonS3 fees. That's what I still do. Not sure if it's offered anymore.

goakes
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I always have a second cloned drive (in removable tray) of my main boot drive with all apps installed there. All data on external. I hate reinstalling OS so this works great. The main drive can die, I just pop in the clone and I am back to normal in minutes.
Thing is, you need to CLONE on a regular bases.

lwaddict
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
As the recovery agent at my 9-5,
I can tell ya that even a badly damaged HD can be successfully recovered.
At least, on the PC end.

But nothing replaces good old backups for aid in sleeping well.

Hopper
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Just a note on storing your files on "someone else's" servers online. Approximately 68% of the files being sent to online storage services are compromised within 12 hours (SC Magazine - December 2009).

So be careful where you store your files. If they leave your system, there is a 100% chance they can be compromised at any time.

Space is cheap - go get some and keep it local.

Matt
03-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Problem with online backup is upload speed here in the UK, it sucks. So it's simply not viable to backup massive amounts of data using them.

biliousfrog
03-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Problem with online backup is upload speed here in the UK, it sucks. So it's simply not viable to backup massive amounts of data using them.

Exactly what I was going to say, I've got an average of 1.8mbps through a low contention line (20 connections) it's simply not viable for many people in the UK.

I had a scare a couple of weeks ago. Everything is backed up daily to a 2TB RAID 5 NAS + 1TB hot spare but I keep my live projects locally on a RAID 0 for extra speed in Premiere and After Effects.

I'd heard of a new BIOS update for my motherboard which should fix some niggling issues so I backed everything up and did the update.....Windows boots and the shortcuts to my data didn't work. I then realised that my data array had disappeared. When I finally managed to get the drives back Windows couldn't read from them...I was in a bit of a panic because, although everything was backed up, I knew that it would take at least a day to get everything back up and running.

I eventually figured out the problem....the BIOS update had reset the CMOS to factory defaults and changed the RAID settings. After a few minutes of putting things back to how they were everything was back to normal.

Be careful of backing up to CD/DVD, they aren't a very stable medium and have a shelf life of around 5 years max. I've got some that have lasted for over 10 years but others that have corrupted within a year. I only use discs that use Taiyo Yuden dyes as they are regarded as the most reliable but I still wouldn't rely on them as a backup.

COBRASoft
03-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Upload speed is not that important actually. The initial upload will take a long time, even here. After that, only the changes are sent over the wire. Mozy uses high encryption, so it should be ok. My upload for the moment doesn't go higher than 1Mbps, next week normally 5Mbps :D.

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Upload speed is not that important actually. The initial upload will take a long time, even here. After that, only the changes are sent over the wire. Mozy uses high encryption, so it should be ok. My upload for the moment doesn't go higher than 1Mbps, next week normally 5Mbps :D.
Currently I produce around 500GB of data per year (and this is not in full CG gigs only mode). That would a) be quite a pricey plan and b) would mean that I'd be constantly uploading for a year to get that stored anywhere.
A few drives are a lot cheaper and quicker in that case ;)

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
03-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Currently I produce around 500GB of data per year (and this is not in full CG gigs only mode). That would a) be quite a pricey plan and b) would mean that I'd be constantly uploading for a year to get that stored anywhere.
A few drives are a lot cheaper and quicker in that case ;)

Cheers,
Mike

It also means that, in case of emergency, you'd be waiting forever to restore your backups.

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 03:14 AM
It also means that, in case of emergency, you'd be waiting forever to restore your backups.
Oh yeah, it'd be like real safe ;)

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
03-04-2010, 04:54 AM
I agree it would take long to restore it all back. But it is accessible from everywhere. And what if your place burns to the ground or somebody brakes in to steal everything. A partner of mine had this several years ago and lost everything.

I also have a copy on my laptop and external drives. One can't be safe enough :D.

LightWolf: 500GB per year? Is this all new content or in total?

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 05:01 AM
LightWolf: 500GB per year? Is this all new content or in total?
New content. My last gig, 10 seconds if animation, 11.7GB. That is keeping all the rendered passes. But hey, it's quicker to back all of that up than to weed it out and re-render in the future.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
03-04-2010, 05:34 AM
So, I now have another issue.

My PC won't boot if I have more than two SATA drives plugged in.

It was completely fine for over a year with the 4 I had in, but not now.

The only changes I've made were installing a new water cooler (Corsair H50 - awesome BTW!) but the PC booted fine after that, everything there, no issues.

Then I decided to install the latest nVidia _Display_ drivers, that is when the problems started.

Could it be the nVidia driver causing issues? I have the other nVidia stuff installed (nvProfile, nvSystem Monitor) but to be honest, I don't use them for anything (over-clocking, which I've never done on this system). So I might remove those, as I'm wondering if they have updated and 'done' something.

BTW: All the drives are fine, I swapped each out in turn and they are all readable.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
My PC won't boot if I have more than two SATA drives plugged in.

Define "won't boot".
What precisely happens (or not)? What are the BIOS SATA settings?

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
03-04-2010, 05:53 AM
I think my last animation project weighed in at, oh, about... a hundred gigs maybe. 40 seconds of 1920x1080 renders, everything with quite a few layers and I had to save old revisions as well. I really don't want to back that up online. I usually just have a few external hard drives in different locations. Sure, if the house burns down I might lose a week or even a month, but at least not *everything*.

Matt
03-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Define "won't boot".
What precisely happens (or not)? What are the BIOS SATA settings?

Cheers,
Mike

Just sits there forever on the Windows 7 logo screen, and the drive light bursts at regular intervals.

Works fine with the boot drive + any one of the other drives, but not when I put two in.

Also, when the PC boots I only see two drives in the startup DOS info.

BIOS SATA settings are on the same as when it used to work fine with all 4, UDMA mode and everything else on Auto.

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Also, when the PC boots I only see two drives in the startup DOS info.

BIOS SATA settings are on the same as when it used to work fine with all 4, UDMA mode and everything else on Auto.
What if you switch over to AHCI in the bios (either that or RAID mode is the preferred value anyhow)?
Other than that I'm stumped though.

Cheers,
Mike

JeffrySG
03-04-2010, 09:18 AM
The one thing I really like about offline backup is that you need to think about Fire or Disaster type of backups. If your house burns down are all of your backup drives going to be gone? If you backup to external drives you really need to cycle through a few and keep at least one version offsite - even if it's a week or a month old, etc - to be really safe. Just a thought.

Personally, I back up most things to an extra hard drive, but then use the offline backup for all of my work data files. I can always re-install what I need, but the actual data is well worth the backup costs to me. (I also don't have 500GB a year, though - that's a lot)

phillydee
03-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Matt: have you checked into Seagate's "BOOT OF DEATH" issues with their HDD firmware?

it happened to me a few weeks back, nearly missed my deadline for a client. Thankfully, my data was in tact after Seagate flashed the firmware on my brick.

It's worth a look. (Obviously if you don't use Seagate then don't worry about this problem, heh...)

Matt
03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Matt: have you checked into Seagate's "BOOT OF DEATH" issues with their HDD firmware?

it happened to me a few weeks back, nearly missed my deadline for a client. Thankfully, my data was in tact after Seagate flashed the firmware on my brick.

It's worth a look. (Obviously if you don't use Seagate then don't worry about this problem, heh...)

I'm Western Digital all the way.

wacom
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
If it's already been said...sorry. Just make sure to back up your most critical work, if you can, to magnetic media. That's right- "old school" is the safest long term storage.

Next...optical (DVD/CD- blue ray not yet) you have to be VERY careful about the media you buy- AFAIK, you have to get gold and a special dye...and only two companies I last checked had the right stuff (the rest was advertising BS). Otherwise a DVD or CD can degrade quickly (under a year). Sunlight, temps, and what you store it in (some plastics speed up degradation) is important.

Solid state- has issues- and you should NEVER store on HDs unless you move your work to several drives every year or two. Make sure to spin up any back up drives often (like at least once a month) so they don't freeze up.

Also- store it in more than one place if you can.

OK...sorry just my 2 cents...sorry if it's redundant...but can this stuff ever be said enough? BACK IT UP and do it right!

I should add that 7zip is free- and can really compress the heck out of some files (esp 3D work like meshes, scenes etc.) so that helps too...

Lightwolf
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
If it's already been said...sorry. Just make sure to back up your most critical work, if you can, to magnetic media. That's right- "old school" is the safest long term storage.
I've still got a few tapes that are less than 10 years old. Do you want to try to read them? (I've also still got the old machine used to write them including to tape drives).
Last time I checked it was a 50/50 chance.

Cheers,
Mike

WCameron
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
If this ever DOES happen tou you, theres one solution short of spending a gazilion dollars to have it recovered for you:
If you can get The Same Exact Drive from some other source (E-Bay, etc) you can remove the controller board from the 'new' one and put it on the 'broken' drive, and it'll most likely work, although I wouldn't recommend you keep using it because whatever caused the controller board to fry could happen again. Copy your stuff off it, reverse controller boards and use the replacement (or an entirely new one since you probably got the fixer drive cheep and used...). this saved my bacon big time about 4 years ago...

- Will.

TheDynamo
03-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I just got one of these little dealies off of Newegg and it's the closest thing I could find to having everything I needed in a NAS. I use it for client delivery FTP, file backup and project retrieval and... audio server in case I want to listen to something at my workstation without having to bring the Zune. I put a 2X1TB (Raid 1) setup together for about $450.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS209/index.php

It's a little cryptic to setup but runs like a top once it is.

-Rob

Matt
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Update: I uninstalled all of the nVidia software I had on my machine, and now it boots with all four drives in it.

Windows did want to check the D: drive again at boot, that was the one that I backed up and re-formatted, so I would have thought that one would have been error free.

I'll see how it goes on, but the minute the next gen hardware comes out (CPUs, boards and GFX cards, I'll be replacing this lot anyway).

Viking
03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Just had a bit of a major scare here. My 'Projects' drive decided to become problematic, taking ages for Windows to recognise it (which was my boot time was very loooooooong!) Then it decided to not be recognised at all.

Had it gone down completely, I would have lost EVERY PROJECT I'VE EVER DONE! All the graphics I've created, interface stuff, video tutorials, LW files I've collected over the years, websites I've done, photos and paid iTunes music!

Fortunately my LW projects are synced with my PC at work, so I wouldn't have lost all that.

It's seems to have been repaired by Windows, but boy am I backing up now or what! (I know, I know, I know, I should know better!)

This is just a reminder to all those who like me have everything you DON'T want to lose on one drive! Very, very silly of me.

I think the time has come to invest in a NAS system.

Please look at this http://www.taobackup.com/