PDA

View Full Version : Transfer UV

Revel
03-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Guys, I found this [Copy UVs] and [Paste UVs] button under Map:UV/Texture:More palette, but after I try to use it, it failed. I unwrap the object's UV using ZBrush UVMaster plugins and brought back the model into Lightwave with successful (together the mesh and the UV) and I want to transfer the UV back to my original LWO object..Copy and paste UV button giving me messed up UV layout..What am I doing wrong?..is that possible to transfer the UV across objects?

I can just simply use the OBJ imported object as my base mesh, but if I already assign the morph/ weight/ other stuff to my original model, its gonna be trouble to recreate all those stuff.

*I have tried to use ZWave plugins, but its not giving me a good result. Btw, I'm using v9.6 at the moment.

_Revel

Dodgy
03-03-2010, 06:14 AM
If you have the original object with UVs and an newer object with the same points and different morphs and weights, clear the UVs from the newer object, copy and paste it's points into the old object and merge. The original object's points should all now have both sets of vmaps.

Revel
03-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks Dodgy, but the problem is my original object have vmaps assign to it but no UV..so I exported the OBJ from Lightwave (its not bring the vmaps together), and import it into ZBrush just to unwrap the UV..after that, the OBJ with UV from ZBrush, I import it back into Lightwave.

So now I have 2 objects:
1. original LWO with vmaps, no UV
2. new OBJ with UV, no vmaps

Both of them looks the same though.
Then I tried to copy and paste the UV from the OBJ into my original LWO, and that's when the problem come.
So is there any steps that I should take in order to transfer the UV correctly form one object to the other?

_Revel

Dodgy
03-03-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.mikegreen.name/Files/mn_DrainBGVMap.zip

This will allow you 'drain' the vmaps from an object in a background layer into a foreground object. It's best to drain from the vmap object to the UV object as discontinuous UVs being drained don't work so well, but weight maps and morphs work perfectly. Then just use that as your main object.

probiner
03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Revel
mn_DrainBGVMap is great (thanks dodgy for making it avaible)
Another possibility would be to use Nitisara's plugin http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40599&highlight=Nitisara.
The conditions is that both models have the same exact shape, topology and statistics.

-go to the model with uv, select the UV, select all polys, run "Copy UVs"
-go to the model with the other Vmaps, select a UV map in the Texture Tab, or make a new empty on and a run "Paste UVs"

Cheers

jeanphi
03-04-2010, 01:38 AM
If you are using mn_DrainBGVMap make sure you have split your object according your UV islands and process each part in separated layers to obtain the best result.
If you don't do this, you will need to manually restore your UV borders.

Revel
03-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Wow thanks guys!..really appreciated your help :)
Will thy 'em out!

_Revel