http://forums.1vid.com/index.php/topic,1406.0.html

--Ralph :D

Cougar12dk
03-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Man, that looks like a 3 year old made it :D

pauland
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Man, that looks like a 3 year old made it :D

Ralph made it - it's only a bit of fun, not exactly intended to be "avatar".

Fun idea, Ralph.

Cageman
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I think I've seen somewhere that Japan (or some asian country) were working on an electromagnetic "slingshot" method. Basicly... a very deep/long tunnel where the spacecraft is accelerated with electromagnets to reach enough speed to throw the spacecraft out into orbit. Wether or not it is being built of if they were still working on the schematics of it, I do not know.

:)

Cougar12dk
03-06-2010, 03:27 PM
:D I wasn't critizising. And wasn't being at all serious. Hence the smiley.

pauland
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I think I've seen somewhere that Japan (or some asian country) were working on an electromagnetic "slingshot" method. Basicly... a very deep/long tunnel where the spacecraft is accelerated with electromagnets to reach enough speed to throw the spacecraft out into orbit. Wether or not it is being built of if they were still working on the schematics of it, I do not know.

Ah, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" territory. Time to revisit that book..

arsad
03-06-2010, 05:33 PM

That must be a joke... how do they get back once in space or worse if the ship landed somewhere? :D

pauland
03-06-2010, 05:50 PM
It's just a replacement for the launch vehicle. The one that is launched has a big spring and on landing the spring compresses and is pulled tight. Just release the spring and you're on the way back again.. ;-)

meshpig
03-07-2010, 12:33 AM
That must be a joke... how do they get back once in space or worse if the ship landed somewhere? :D

Same as for Apollo 11. Post "escape velocity", which is the problem moving around in space doesn't require much force.

Cageman
03-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Not really... if you have watched any of the spaceshuttle launches, you know that the huge tank+rockets are dissconnected from the actual shuttle when reaching orbit. What is left is only the shuttle that has its own engines. I guess it would be alot less expensive if that electromagnetic slingshot could be used instead of the starter-rockets.

Cageman
03-07-2010, 01:37 AM
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/deltav/24134/?a=f