PDA

View Full Version : Gtx 285

borkus
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey to all. I had a question regarding this card. I'm on the verge (probably within the end of the week) of building a new computer and wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about the release of Nvidia's new fermi line. The last I heard was a March 26 launch of some kind, meaning that it may be only available to a small clientele initially. The reason that I ask is because I simply can't wait any longer to build this computer. My main computer died some months ago and I've been using a PC that I built with just office chores in mind and to say it doesn't much care for Lightwave makes me chuckle sadly. I have included enough capitol in the current budget to go with this card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130480) , but would like to hear some opinions. Like I said, I can't wait any longer. Many have told me to wait until the release of the fermi line to either go with that or wait until the current gtx series went down in price. If it was set in concrete that the 26th was the day they were available for everyone, I might be able to convince myself to wait, but to gamble three weeks on rumors is too much for me. I desperately need this PC last month!!! Also, what is the opinion of some in regards to ATI? I have heard time and again to stay away from them due to driver issues. I had an old x800 for my old machine and it played with Lightwave alright as far as I could tell. But, I will admit to not liking the Catalyst center much... I know fully in advance that this card will do practically nothing for Lightwave and many consider it to be overkill. But, my second intention is also to having a PC that I can finally game on again. It's been years and years since I could go out and buy a game and crank the settings... Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll add to this thread what the rest of the hardware will be. I have the inventory list on my laptop which is at school. Thanks to all in advance.

LazyCoder
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I completely agree with 1234560. :thumbsup:

Riza
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
translation
"The shortage of ugg boots is no doubt currently the most famous snow-boots. The ugg boots is made of genuine high quality sheepskin and wool. Level A sheepskin double page gives you maximum comfort and retain heat. If you had such a pair of shoes, you could no longer suffer from cold. The website offers hochwetige ugg boots with cheap price, fast delivery and excellent service, you can certainly enjoy a pleasant shopping experience."

oh btw, i use ati 4670 and works like a charm..

JCG
03-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey to all. I had a question regarding this card. I'm on the verge (probably within the end of the week) of building a new computer and wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about the release of Nvidia's new fermi line. The last I heard was a March 26 launch of some kind, meaning that it may be only available to a small clientele initially. The reason that I ask is because I simply can't wait any longer to build this computer. My main computer died some months ago and I've been using a PC that I built with just office chores in mind and to say it doesn't much care for Lightwave makes me chuckle sadly. I have included enough capitol in the current budget to go with this card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130480) , but would like to hear some opinions. Like I said, I can't wait any longer. Many have told me to wait until the release of the fermi line to either go with that or wait until the current gtx series went down in price. If it was set in concrete that the 26th was the day they were available for everyone, I might be able to convince myself to wait, but to gamble three weeks on rumors is too much for me. I desperately need this PC last month!!! Also, what is the opinion of some in regards to ATI? I have heard time and again to stay away from them due to driver issues. I had an old x800 for my old machine and it played with Lightwave alright as far as I could tell. But, I will admit to not liking the Catalyst center much... I know fully in advance that this card will do practically nothing for Lightwave and many consider it to be overkill. But, my second intention is also to having a PC that I can finally game on again. It's been years and years since I could go out and buy a game and crank the settings... Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll add to this thread what the rest of the hardware will be. I have the inventory list on my laptop which is at school. Thanks to all in advance.
March 26 is more than a rumor. It is the launch date that nVIDIA posted in their official tweeter (to happen at PAX). The statement was: "Apologies for the confusion around our most recent GF100 update. To clarify, launch date for GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 is March 26, 2010."

Unfortunately, although it will not intentionally limited to just specific clients, nobody knows how many cards they have been able to produce. They have not even announced/leaked the clocks yet!! Let's not forget that ATI has been producing the 5870 for months, it is a much smaller die and MUCH less complex, and yet it is still scarce and unable to meet demand (and, consequently, are still being sold quite a bit higher than MSRP).

The rumor about only specific partners getting chips referred to video card makers. Apparently, only the nVIDIA exclusive brands will get chips to put in their cards initially, but that should be transparent to end users unless you prefer a specific brand. Still, that does indicate that there won't exactly be an over-supply.

Early estimates were that TSMC was yielding between 4 and 14% on their 40nm process chips. Given the size of Fermi, it was expected that about 7% or less of the chips produced would be usable. TSMC says that the yield issues are over but that could mean many things, not necessarily 80+% yields for all partners.

So getting a Fermi might be a bit like getting a Wii at launch (but worse). Hopefully not!, but NV doesn't usually hide the specs so close to launch when they're happy. A lot of refreshing the store page and clicking as fast as you can as soon as one becomes available?

If the supply is really that limited, the GTX200 series will likely not drop in price very quickly. I've seen BFG/EVGA ride the wave of popularity of the new generation to keep selling the previous generation at a pretty high price before (when the GTX280 was relased). Of course it's a gamble. If there is a good supply of Fermis, the GTX285 could drop to half the price overnight, like the 7900.

As far as drivers, regarding Lightwave specifically, getting an ATI is a bit like getting a Mac. For some people it works fine. Some people have problem with PC/nVIDIA. However, when a new LW bug is announced, the odds are a bit against you that it will affect you.

borkus
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks JCG. I guess I'll go ahead and get the gtx 285.