PDA

View Full Version : DVD, Windows MediaPlayer 9 and VT3

Laurence Winsto
09-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Q1

Freshly installed XP Pro, with Media player 9, Updated all windows components and Ran a DVD with MP9... no probs.

Installed VT3 - have selected to play windows media playback through VT not vga card in preferences.

Now I cannot launch a DVD at all,

"windows media player has encountered a problem and will need to close"

This will happen regardless of VT being opened or closed.

Any help would be appreciated

Jim_C
09-08-2003, 11:03 AM
I would reccommend getting a 3rd party app like WinDVD or more importantly Power DVD to play your DVD's thru.
I've discovered WMP is not very good at playing all DVD's or mpeg 2's anyway. Power DVD rocks.

I also leave the selection to play windows media thru the Toaster off. Let wmp9 take care of its own. Comes in handy oif you are doing work with an avi, maybe having a little trouble with it. Just dbl click it and let wmp open and try to play it.
But this seconf paragraph is a personal experience guess work.

WMEnc.exe is Windows Media Encoder. It is for converting mpegs and avis to .wmv format. Very handy.
There is a 9 version out of it also, but you have to be careful. If you convert using the 9 codec anyone still using wmp 7 cant play it, and neither can those who have a MAC and dloaded the MAC wmp. You have to choose the 7 codec when converting to get them to play.