PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance + alpha maps + fog = weirdness

focus3d
02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I am making a landscape with thousands upon thousands of tree textures UVed onto poly's. When I add volumetric fog to the scene it all goes a bit weird though and the transparencies seem to be losing their transparency.

Picture attached to show you what I mean.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rabbitpenny
02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I would ask what your Ray Recursion Limit, ray precision, and ray cutoff are set at...but that would imply that I know what they should be.

But withall that transparency stacked up (fog and objects), I'm guessing RRL up, RP down, or something.

focus3d
02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately this makes no difference, but thanks for the suggestion.

I am trying to create a scene not unlike the one below (and this is from the artists site who created the textures). He is using 3D Max however.

http://www.michalkotek.com/images/forest-short-h264.mov

OFF
02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
you don't need to use transparent channel on the trees. clipmap much, much better for massive scenes and especially for HDInstances

focus3d
02-28-2010, 01:59 PM
you don't need to use transparent channel on the trees. clipmap much, much better for massive scenes and especially for HDInstances

I have literally 5 minutes ago realised this! Haha, thanks for the replies, with clip maps the transparency problems disappear, and renders are a ton faster to boot.