PDA

View Full Version : problem animating low poly for collision detection

3dWannabe
02-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I've got a model animated in Jimmy RIG.

I'm trying to add collision detection for a dress, so I created a low poly model of just the middle of the model in 3D Coat.

When I imported the model into the animated scene, I tried adding it into the bone hierarchy in different places (as I was able to add in the dress petals to a certain bone and get them to move along with the model.

However, the upper leg is not moving along with the leg, no matter where I put it.

1. How do I add this object (just used for collision detection) into my scene so that it will move along with the model's upper leg, rear and lower back?

2. Also, I notice the T Pose appeared after I added dynamics. That T Pose is not in the scene anywhere and is a bit distracting. Is there a way to turn it off?

SplineGod
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Whenever you use deformations you need to hit the calc button so that any deformed collision object register properly.
Do you have 'use bones from' assocated properly?
Also set the bones to autosize so theyre easier to look at :)

3dWannabe
02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
SplineGod - for the 'calc' button, you are are referring to the 'calculate' button in dynamics? I've been doing that all along.

But, I'm not even to that point yet, as I cannot get my retopologized middle body to move like the model moves. ( I'm presuming I need it to move just like the model does if it is going to be used for collision detection? )

I set up the 'use bones from' to use the bones from the main Jimmy RIG created model - and I parented the middle body to the top bone in the hierarchy.

It moves along with the model, but the legs do not move at all (as shown in my included image).

So:

1. How can I get the middle body to move like the real model, with the legs dancing instead of staying fixed?

2. Is there a way, when dynamics are added, to get rid of the T Pose that shows (when the main model is not hidden)? I have the main model hidden here, so it's not showing.

Thanks!

3dWannabe
02-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I just tried something else. Using an older ikboost.com video showing how to re-use a rig and motions with a new body I did the following:

With the fairy body object selected, I did a 'replace' with a loaded object (the 3d Coat retopologization middle body).

I selected all bones and made them inactive.

I then rested the bones.

Still no movement in the legs.

I must be missing something obvious and basic?

SplineGod
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Lets say object A has its own set of bones deforming it. Object A is being moved along the z axis.
Object B needs to be parented to Object A and use the bones from Object A as well. :)

3dWannabe
02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I've tried parenting B to A in the scene editor, and also telling B to use the bones from A.

B (the retopologized middle part) moves along with A, but the legs of B do not move with the legs of A.

Am I getting into trouble because I just have the middle part of the model retopologized? I'm confused that the object 'replace' I tried didn't work as expected, as I remember doing this before with other models (not one from Jimmy RIG though).