PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP. Trying to do this in LightWave

Eyenovation
09-07-2003, 10:19 PM
I am desperately trying to learn LightWave and am trying VERY hard to recreate a scene like this. Unfortunately, my experience is in 3DSM and I feel totally green in LightWave.

Can anyone please, please help me learn how to make scenes like this?

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tutorials/max/simpleorb/simpleorb.asp

I am totally lost :(

Thanks -

southparx
09-07-2003, 11:23 PM
first create the sphere in modeler:

"shift+o" then drag then assign surface to it by pressing "q" and name it "ball" or whatever.

then create the "floor" by making a flat plane, press "shift+x" then "q" to again assign a surface name.

once u're done, save the objects and load them in layout. after u set your camera, lights, and the objects, it's time to assign the surfaces to the sphere and floor. press "ctrl+F3" or click "surface editor" on the toolbar on the left (if everything is in default.

after that, click on the VIPER button (if u're using version 7 or above, u can find it in the toolbar, above presets... for lower than 7, it's in the surface editor window bottom left)

render a frame (press F9) then the viper should have an image shows up.
from here onwards, all surface changes u make will show... but bear in mind there will be no shadows or reflections shown in viper (dont ask me why)

after the surface editor window pops out, there will be a list of i think 3 surfaces: default, "ball", and "floor" (or whatever u named the objects earlier). leave the default alone, and start with let's say the "ball". click on it, and on the "basic tab", set some reflection, specular and increase/reduce glossines (if u want a sharp hotspot = high gloss level and vice versa).
you can set the base color for it, simply click the color swatch and pick any color u want, or if u want to put texture to it, click on the T button next to E.

next is the floor, to get the checkered texture, i would say u need an image map assigned to the color's texture channel (it's that T). then do the same thing as above, set reflection, specular, glossiness, etc as your liking.

after all done, by default, lightwave doesn't render raytrace shadows and reflection so you have to turn it on, so go to rendering... render properties (it's on the toolbar, hold after click to open up the menu) and click on the trace shadow and reflection to turn it on... also turn on rendering in progress (if u want but it'll become slightly slower depending on the complexity of ur scene) and image viewer set it to image viewer FP (floating point.... any of the two don't matter but i got used to the FP one).

if you want to set some antialiasing or change the render size, go to camera properties, or anywhere in Layout, click "shift+c" then "p", or click the "camera" button at the bottom of layout (it's that horizontal row of buttons starting with objects, bones (ghosted if u dont have any at the moment), lights, camera, item properties). anyways... in the camera properties window,
change the render size and antialiasing (by default is off) to your likings and close the window,

then render a frame or press F9.

by seeing the images on the link, i think the main surface properties of the sphere and ball are their reflection, spec and glossiness, so tweak those, remember to see the changes using viper (keep it open all the time possible) coz it gives the F9 key a break :)

good luck, i hope it helps... sorry if i dont explain this good enuff

Eyenovation
09-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by southparx
Good luck, i hope it helps... sorry if i dont explain this good enuff

Thanks!! I appreciate your help. When making a sphere, is there no way to control the segments? I get a sphere that looks horrible. :(:( How about locking in an aspect ratio? Or ?? Is there no easy way, like a gear menu that pops up the attributes?

Eyenovation
09-08-2003, 01:22 AM
http://www.eyenovation.com/forums/test.jpg

Like, how do I get this sphere with MORE segments? :( Also, how would I make the shadow fall off? That is possible, no?

I sincerely appreciate your help.
Thanks -

WCameron
09-08-2003, 01:28 AM
When draging out your sphere, hold down the CONTROL
key - this will constrain its ratio.
adding more segments:

Once your happy with the Sphere, push the N key.
Here you can change various settings on your object.

you can also hit Shift-O, then n and create the sphere that way -
purely numerically.

- Will.

Eyenovation
09-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by WCameron
When draging out your sphere, hold down the CONTROL
key - this will constrain its ratio.
adding more segments:

Awesome! Thanks! - Any ideas on the shadow falling off?

Thanks.

09-08-2003, 05:16 AM
To get a soft shadow from a light, in its item properties change the shadows from raytraced to shadowmapped.
play with the map size and fuzziness settings.

southparx
09-08-2003, 10:14 AM
eyenovation...

i think the beauty of lightwave is that it hides all the unnecessary windows that makes it look clean from lists of attributes etc etc... to some this can be horrible, but they can always be called out... lemme list some of the most-used ones...

(keep in mind here that uppercase and lowercase matter)

in modeler:

"n" for numeric, as mentioned by WCameron, it is widely used when u want a precise width/length or segments when creating primitive objects.

"w" in "polygon selection mode" (or in "Ctrl+H" mode), very useful to call out surface parts that you have previously assigned using that "q" button.

hmm what else in modeler, cant think of any right now.

in layout:

"p" for item properties (this works for whatever item is being currently selected whether it's objects, camera, lights, bones, or particles)... you can check out what's being selected by simply looking at the middle bottom part of layout. bear in mind, that in layout, ONE THING has to be selected no matter what it is.

hmm what else i cant think of anything anymore :p
just fire up your questions... i hope i can always be of help

take care

Dodgy
09-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Also, pressing the arrow keys while the cursor is in a particular viewport (while making boxes/spheres etc) will raise and lower the number of segments which make up that primative. For example, if you're making a box, and the cursor is in the top view, pressing right will increase the number of segments in the x axis, while pressing left will decrease them. Pressing up will increase the number of segments in the z axis, while pressing down will decrease them.

peteb
09-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Also if you're trying to recreate glass, it's best to create two spheres one slightly smaller then the other. invert the polys of the outer one..I think. This will refract the light as it passes though giving the same effect as real light does as it goes though glass. You have to set the refraction attribute in the surface editor to something like 1.33 or something like that for the outer sphere . To be honest it's been so long since I've used Lightwave I'm very rusty, but I'm sure someone on here will give you a much clearer and more accurate explanation.

kevman3d
09-08-2003, 05:08 PM
BTW, if you need to refine the sphere after you've already modelled it, you can do it in modeler.

Load your sphere
Select the 'Construct' Tab
Select the 'subdivide' tool
Select the 'Smooth' option and click OK

It will increase the polys, but smoothen that sphere out a little more for you.

Red_Oddity
09-09-2003, 03:55 AM
Maybe, just maybe, it is possible you open the manual once...this is basic Modeler stuff, it's a shame if you get stuck everytime for something that is explained in the first couple of pages of the manual...

Eyenovation
09-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Maybe, just maybe, it is possible you open the manual once...this is basic Modeler stuff, it's a shame if you get stuck everytime for something that is explained in the first couple of pages of the manual...

Thank for that insightful bit of advice. I will do my best to remember that. You're right though. I do need to look at the manaul.

I was hoping to just sort of jump right in and 'go for it' considering I had a lot of 3DSM experience. I apologize to all if my thread is annoyingly remedial. I just thought it would save time for me sifting through the pages.

Earl
09-09-2003, 10:42 AM
If it helps any, the manual is written in a casual style, and includes bits of bovine humor here and there.

rabid pitbull
09-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Eyenovation
Thank for that insightful bit of advice. I will do my best to remember that. You're right though. I do need to look at the manaul.

I was hoping to just sort of jump right in and 'go for it' considering I had a lot of 3DSM experience. I apologize to all if my thread is annoyingly remedial. I just thought it would save time for me sifting through the pages.

.... please try figuring this EXTREMELY BASIC stuff out on your own. The manual is great lots of tutorials out there too, just because you have used max extensivly does not mean that it will be the same. More often than not it is different than max in lw. And most people will be less than interested in explaining the differences to you.

welcome aboard, but please it is annoying that you have not tried to figure this out on your own, won't be long before people will not respond to you if you don't try to do the work yourself.