PDA

View Full Version : tips from the masters on fiberfx collisions for a short dress?

3dWannabe
02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I've got a fairy dancing ballet with a short dress composed of 9 petals of fabric.

I've got the dress working with clothfx, but need to stop it from going thru her legs.

I'm reading about collisions now.

Any tips on the best way to do this (where calculation time will be minimized as it seems to be running on a single thread) - or tutorials you've found useful.

RebelHill
02-24-2010, 10:17 AM
www.rebelhill.net/clothfx

old but still relevant.

3dWannabe
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow - I've been beating my head wondering why my fabric was going thru the legs. I'm pretty sure your tutorial will explain it all.

And thanks for including the scene files!

Thanks!

One question though. I'm gathering from the Darth Vader clothfx tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCbIp2LlBTo&feature=related that I should make a low poly version of my fairy model - and use that for the collisions to minimize calculation time.

Is this a perfect time to start learning retopologization using 3D Coat - or is there a simpler way to reduce the geometry (while not requiring it to look good during a render - as it's just to be used for collision detection)?