PDA

View Full Version : MotionBuilder morphs back to LW

aforetaste
02-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey Gang,
I'm using a character that's been rigged and morphed in LW, animated in MotionBuilder (specifically the morphs) and then FBX merged back into LW.
I get the bone animation but lose any/all morphs animations.
I've tried importing the FBX, and when it works, I get the morphs (vertex) animations, but most of the time it just crashes LW.
Any one have any experience with this?
A work around, possibly?

Thanks in advance.

SplineGod
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Can you export morphs as separate objects?
If so use LWs background to morph function.

aforetaste
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks Larry,
MotionBuilder does not let you export out individual morphs (sadly).

It does seem that you can get either the bone animation or the morph animation back into LW but not both.

ps: thanks for some great bone training videos from day's past!

SplineGod
02-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks! :)
I havent used MB in awhile...
Is there any way to get a morph out at all?

WCameron
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
can you save out an MDD of your morph animations, then apply them back onto the loaded bone animated character?

- Will.

aforetaste
02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
It seems that the way that Maya does morphs (with actually separate geometry on layers) with MB there is a way to export the morphs. I don't have Maya, I've just read...

With LW morphs, MB doesn't seem to be able to handle exporting those at all (at least from all the forum & document searches that I've done).

There is no native (nor plug-ins that I'm aware of) that allow for MDD transfer of info.

aforetaste
02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Anyone have a link to where NewTek has a list of the various FBX plugins (new and old)? For the life of me, I can't find it.

aforetaste
02-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Megalodon,
Did you have any bone animation with that or just facial (morph) animation?

I've been able to add morphs to a dummy head and bring it back and forth (LW to MB back to LW) but it's when there is bones required to move the body that things break down.

aforetaste
02-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks Megalodon!
That's good stuff to know.

I think I found a working solution for the morph and bone issue:

Looks like you need to rig and setup your morphs in LW, export the character's rig (used later) as well as FBX export.

In MB: you animate bones and morphs.

Back in LW: IMPORT FBX the character. This pulls in the vertex (morph) animation but no bones. Import the character's rig back in, then Merge FBX the bone animation.
You're done!

Thanks for all the help, gang! :thumbsup: