PDA

View Full Version : Normal Maps Plugin

DonLao
02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know if the free normal maps plugin work in LW9.6, or does LW9.6 has those capabilities built in? Its website stated that the NormalShader.P doesn't work properly and recommend replacing it with TBshader.p instead. What about the 64bit, do I have to replace NormalShader.p with TBshader as it stated on its website? Does TBshader.p work in LW 64bit version though?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SplineGod
02-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Its built in now via nodal.

gordonrobb
02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Depends if you are talking about making or applying normals. For applying it's built in.

Soth
02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
...and for making u need to upgrade to HC.

Cageman
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
...or get DPKit and use NormalCast node... with some adjustments, NormalCast can also be used to bake displacementmaps.

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

nikfaulkner
02-21-2010, 02:24 AM
"with some adjustments, NormalCast can also be used to bake displacementmaps."

anybody any pointers on this?

ta

n.

OnlineRender
02-21-2010, 06:14 AM
TBNORMAL --flay .

Cageman
02-21-2010, 06:16 AM
"with some adjustments, NormalCast can also be used to bake displacementmaps."

anybody any pointers on this?

ta

n.

Spirosa (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=1112) helped me with figuring out how to do it, so HUGE kudos to him! :)

See the attached screenshot on how to set up the additional nodes needed and consult the instructions at DPs site on how to set things up regarding NormalCast node and the lowres object as well as camera.

The UV-map assigned in NormalCast node is not needed (to avoid any confusion). You also have to concider that using this method will not generate as good results as if you were exporting a displacementmap from any of those sculptingtools, however, in many cases it might be sufficient enough for the project.

The main reason we did it this way was because Z-Brush managed to screw up the UVs, so whatever we exported looked funky. Finaly, I consulted Magnus (Spirosa) to see if he had an idea on how to bake a displacementmap from a highres (in this case a polydense export from ZBrush) object. And this is the resulting setup for the baking.

The result can be viewed here! (ftp://FTP_Cod:[email protected]:21/Cod.avi)

Credits: Radek Jakubiak (modeling, sculpting, texturing, shading, rendering and particles), me (rigging, animation and general problemsolving).

:)

nikfaulkner
02-21-2010, 06:18 AM
thanks cageman, i'll check it out when i get to that stage of my project.

ta

n.

DonLao
02-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you for all the feedbacks folks!