PDA

View Full Version : crashing w 10.5.8

Archigram
02-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi all
I'm running LW 9.6 UB on my MacPro w/ OS 10.5.8.
I'm an occasional LW user but haven't had problems with this configuration before. Now I am crashing constantly-- and have to do cold shut downs because force quit usually won't respond. Sometimes crashes on loading scene file, more often in Graph Editor. I repaired disc permissions, purged config files, and reloaded the software. Same problem. Any ideas?

many thanks

Archigram

rsfd
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Had you purged all preferences too?
Had you installed other software and the like lately?
(9.6UB should run quite stable on your configuration)

archijam
02-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Sounds weird. I rarely crash LW these days.

I would go through and weed out old plugins. Something's up.

Archigram
02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
thanks folks,

all pref files deleted, hub disabled. No plug ins loaded after re-install. I'm wondering if there is some known graphic interface problem: seems like most of these crashes occur while sliding something with the mouse... Wasn't there once some problem with that?

archijam
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM
try with GLSL on, then multishaders or whatever they are called : )

RonGC
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Have you run the full set of Mac system maintenance scripts lately? Need to do this regularly to keep the OS running efficiently. This can cause all sorts of havoc with crashing being part of the problem.

Ron

3dworks
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
what does the console log say? maybe you can find some hints there. did you also try to reinstall LW completely? try also to run with a 'Preferences' folder inside the LW folder for custom configuration files. of course i'm not asking you if you do run a stable OSX configuration (permissions repair, fsck or applejack after crashes, etc)...

cheers

markus

pat-lek
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Sometimes crashes on loading scene file

I have always the same problem.

Now i package all the scenes i do (in layout; file>package scene)

and, when the scenes files don't load, i do "load item from scene" , if i had sasquatch in the scene, i wiithdraw it. and i just lost the display options (the grid square size), the light and the camera.

Archigram
02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
thanks for everyone's advice.

I did manage to get somewhere by reloading items from scene into new scene. I think there's something messed up about this scene, or one of the objects in it. I am still getting some crashes when I slide keys in the Graph Editor, but otherwise am able to proceed.
Aside from repairing permissions I haven't run Mac Systems maintenance scripts-- will look into that.

Again thanks to everyone.