PDA

View Full Version : Blured/ Soft reflections !!!

Ztreem
09-07-2003, 08:05 AM
I want to see real nice soft reflections in LW8.
It's important to have if you want to do some materials, like aluminium and rubber.

Karmacop
09-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Lightwave already has soft reflections ... not perfect but good for what you want ...

Matt
09-07-2003, 09:58 AM
for stills you can also post process using the .PSD saver making sure the reflections buffer is selected.

see Lee's tutorial about it, very handy!

mercz
09-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Or take Evasions HyperSmooth plug.

wacom
09-07-2003, 12:38 PM
...or get G2 from worley and get a lot plus advanced Blured Reflections!

Ztreem
09-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Lightwave already has soft reflections ... not perfect but good for what you want ...

I've hav'nt found any good solution with plain LW yet...

The normal softreflection looks nice, but too noisy.
The Imagefilter leave some blured edges on the object.

Or take Evasions HyperSmooth plug.

I want to see this feature integrated, not as a expensive plugin that do the job good but slow.

Neil_Campbell
09-09-2003, 06:26 AM
I want to see this feature integrated, not as a expensive plugin that do the job good but slow.
It doesn't matter whether it's integrated into LW or an external plugin. Either way the problem is the same - any accurate reflection blurring technique that's calculated during a render is going to be quite slow, because there's a lot of raytracing going on. Add in radiosity and caustics and other render intensive stuff and it's going to get even slower. Doesn't matter whether it's LW, Max, ....

If you're interested in soft reflections in LW, but don't like the speed of LW's native reflection blurring, and won't pay for HyperSmooth or G2, post processing is where you have to go. It's quick, easy and gives you quite a bit of control (but not as much as Hypersmooth). Takes a couple of minutes to set up, then play in Photoshop to get the effect you need.

If you are only interested in working inside LW, use the reflection blurring in the environmental controls of the surface editor. You say it's noisy - I've found it's pretty good, just dog slow. To cut down on the noise do your first render, which gives you noisy blurred reflections. Then do a second render with a much high AA setting, but use limited region to only do it on the object(s) where you want the soft reflection - this keeps your render times down a bit and should give you the quality you need for the reflections. Then just comp the second render over the first.

All that said, I've found that above about 50% reflection blurring, there's practically no structure in the reflection at all, just a blur of colour. So for really blurred soft reflections like you get off the plastic of chairs, rubber tyres, etc, instead of taking a huge render hit with reflection blurring, switch off reflection blurring totally and either use a broad specular hit or simply cast a light on it to fake the blurred reflection.

Elmar Moelzer
09-09-2003, 07:10 AM
You can also always do it the way we used to do it before we got soft- reflections in LW. Do a micro- bump- map.
CU
Elmar

Matt
09-09-2003, 08:21 AM
just about to suggest that very thing Elmar!

:)