PDA

View Full Version : exporting object with surface texture in obj format help

Wayne Heim
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry for to be so dense but I'm in over my head and lost.

I have to create this model with some surface texture for a client (bones). Client wants all other artists that do work for them to use the same base model with the same surface texture on it when they do images for them. Normally I apply a procedural texture but that is not going to translate/export to other apps. The model has about 150 parts. Need advice on a exportable way to keep this texture with the object. I have exported some of the shapes and taken them into zbrush and sculpted the texture into the surface but can't seem to figure out how to get the texture back into lightwave. I've tried exporting a normal map with a UV but can't seem to get lightwave to apply it correctly via node editor. I guess I could just paint a bump map in PS but would love to be able to get the texturing I did out of zbrush in a normal or bump map mode that I can then deliver with the low poly model.

Any help would be really great.

Wayne

moussepipi2000
02-19-2010, 03:58 AM
to export Zbrush normal just FLIP the texture in V axis (in Texture menu)
and select Tangent mode in NORMAL MAP

after than you can use with lightwave node

OnlineRender
02-19-2010, 01:22 PM
to export Zbrush normal just FLIP the texture in V axis (in Texture menu)
and select Tangent mode in NORMAL MAP

after than you can use with lightwave node

usually that is the case or used to be , but I think with new ZB and LW you do not need to do this ???? I maybe getting mixed up with Max can't remember 100% .

I had troubles at first with normal maps , using TBNormal plugin .
but it was because my mesh needed a subD of 3 in Zbrush to get it to work correctly ... at 1 and 2 it went mental .
but for them I had to flip the maps .

Did you UV map in ZBRUSH or LW first ???

moussepipi2000
02-19-2010, 05:58 PM
I UVmap my model in lightwave first. i never tried to unwrap UV in zbrush ( it is possible ?)

Wayne Heim
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I uv mapped in zbrush.

Wayne Heim
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
what do you mean subd or 3?