PDA

View Full Version : grafic format for Tricaster live production

lotus126
02-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Hello,
I have to live a full contact fighting (Thai box) and I have to send graphics of athletes (names, photos, writings).
The graphics should be used to create an external study, and asked me to create the graphics and format layer.
What are the correct parameters for creating graphics Tricaster compatible with the broadcast?
format?
Resolution?
extensions?
alpha channel?
I have to work with a Tricaster broadcast PAL.
I can create graphics from an external company or you prefer to directly Tricaster software before combat?
Using external graphic text it's possible Tricaster crash?

joseburgos
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
TriCaster except most image formats like PSD (as a flat image, no layers), PNG, TGA, JPG, TIFF to name a few.
Just make sure your image is PAL resolution of 720x576 and make sure you create it with the right aspect it will be delivered on. SO if it is going to be 4:3, make sure you are in 4:3 pixel aspect and if 16:9, then the same. Otherwise a ball will look like an egg or vise versa.
PS 4:3 and 16:9 is the same resolution of 720x576 PAL it is the pixel aspect that stretches or compresses to be viewed correctly.

Take care,

SBowie
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
It's correct that you can drop any correct video format (rectangular pixel, video resolution) image in with good results ... well, almost.

Just to expand on this a bit, though, both SD models of TriCaster and TCXD300 will auto-size any (reasonable size) 4x3 image aspect square pixel image to display correctly on output. In a 4:3 project the a 4x3 square pixel file will fill the frame, while in a 16:9 one it will be pillar-boxed. A16x9 square pixel image will display full frame in a 16:9 session (any model with 16:9 support), be cropped on the sides in a 4:3 TCXD300 session, and letter-boxed in a 4:3 SD model TriCaster project. This means you actually can, for example, simply import an image at SVGA res (800x600) and it will work just fine in a 4x3 project on any TriCaster.

Where you can get into a little trouble is if you try to use a 4x3 DV or D1 video format image in a 16:9 project, or the reverse. Still image files generally don't have pixel aspect information, which requires some guesswork. The different models handle these files as follows:

An SD TriCaster will always stretch these to fill the frame, which will be correct if the image was created for the target format (i.e., anamorphic for 16:9 projects, or 4x3 for 4x3 ones) but be incorrectly stretched otherwise.

TriCaster TCXD300, on the other hand, always treats such files as though they were 4:3 (i.e., it will pillar-box it in a 16:9 project).

Man, maybe now y'all can see why I can get a migraine trying to cover all the variables in manuals. ;)

lotus126
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
exscuse me but i don't understand.

For example: I send broadcast the pictures and names of two athletes in the alpha channel on the video images of the athlete of the camera.
If I create a PSD with layers together the background will not be washing it?
So how do I create a PSD with two graphic photos of athletes + names athletes that is transparent in the background and do see the images of the cameras?

second problem: what method should I use to avoid putting the virus in Tricaster during the insertion of images, graphics and music outside?
I use a second PC to check with the antivirus files?

jmmultex
03-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Here is how I would approach it:

1. Start by creating a blank image in the 8-Bit RGB Color Mode properly sized to the video frame size and set to the correct aspect ratio. Jose and Steve a good job explaining what's needed there.

2. Keep the background layer blank and create a new layer. Import an image of the lower third that you will be using. This wont be part of the final image you will generate, but is useful as a reference for sizing the athlete image you are working on.

3. Save this as a template file that you can use for all of the athletes you will be doing for this production.

4. Create another new layer and import the image of the first athlete. Save it now under the name of the athlete so you don't forget and overwrite your template by accident.

5. Use something like the quickmask tool to cut out just the athlete and remove the background. Do this while the image is full resolution - it will be easier to mask details. Save it at this point as a master image for the athlete that you can come back to later if you need it for something else later.

6. With the athlete image cut out, shrink the image down so it is the proper size for the lower-third (reducing it's size will also make any rough spots in the mask less visible.

7. If you are happy with the image, crop it down to final size.

8. Turn off all of the layers except the one with the athlete image.

9. You can now save this out for use in your production. For creating transparent images for this type of work, the end format I would want to output to would be PNG-24. You can use the command "Save for Web & Devices", select the PNG-24 format, hit save, and enter the final name.

You should now be able to use that image to build your lower-thirds on the Tricaster. As for adding names, I would do that using the CG/Livetext when you build all the lower-thirds for your production.

10. Load the template file you saved in step 3 and repeat this process for all of the other athlete images you'll need to process.

As for viruses...

Though PNG files are a complex format and can contain viruses, if you have processed the athlete photos yourself and converted them into PNG format, you shouldn't have to worry about that. A virus scan never hurts, but it probably isn't necessary.

Hopefully, I've understood what you are asking for and that this process will work for you.

Best,
-john

joseburgos
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey John,
I would not use PNG out of Photoshop as it does not work well with TriCaster, VT or SE. Something in Photoshops PNG saver does not do a good job with the Alpha and sometimes, the color. Instead I highly recommend using PSD format. It seems to import the best into TriCaster, VT and SE. This really shows up when an alpha is used and may not be noticed at first glance.

jmmultex
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks Jose,

Interesting. In my albeit fairly limited experience, I haven't run in to PNG alpha problems in VT when exporting from CS4 - I'll stress test it a bit more to see what's going on.

That said, I completely agree with you that avoiding any compression at all using native PSD files is a much better choice. I tend to get in the habit of using Photoshop/PSD as a mastering format that I export from, rather then an upstream format I can use in other apps. I should have suggested that to begin with - my bad.

Thanks for pointing that out - I appreciate it.

-john

stijef
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
one more question to add to this (old) topic

in case graphic is animated - made from 30+ tga pictures - and in case is expected to add some text dynamically to it, for example list of top scorers in some part of bball match - how to do that (add text) and use it on Tricaster 450? Does Livetext helps in this situation or there is some other approach in order to complete the task?

SBowie
06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Animated graphics are supported using the 'usual' group of 32bit movie file formats. Still sequences aren't directly supported. You could apply this in one DSK layer, and have another above it with an (editable) static title in it.

stijef
06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
thnx Steve,

so basically ONLY the way is to have "empty movie" in one layer and over it another one with text (scorers name) that fits exactly in provided fields?

will this "spend" both DSK1 and DSK2 on my TC450, so I would be able to use it for other purpose in the same time (for example to show animated logo in the corner)...

hm still have doubts, not sure does everyone accomplishing this goal only this way?

PS - check this video, fw it to 11:58 - you will see animated text together with background. Ok this is player name and every graphics with every player name can be rendered before the game, but what when it comes to some text that changes in real time during the event?

SBowie
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
so basically ONLY the way is to have "empty movie" in one layer and over it another one with text (scorers name) that fits exactly in provided fields?I'm not really sure what you mean by an "empty movie" - maybe you mean one that does not have the text you need to modify embedded in it? If so, then yes, that's what I was describing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that EXTREME and '##5' models support Animation Store transitions, which are, in fact, compiled from animation sequences. But if you want animated graphic material to be able to sit on the screen and loop as long as the title is displayed, you've got to feed that animation either from a DDR or an external source using iVGA (or Airplay).

will this "spend" both DSK1 and DSK2 on my TC450, so I would be able to use it for other purpose in the same time (for example to show animated logo in the corner)...

PS - check this video, fw it to 11:58 - you will see animated text together with background. Ok this is player name and every graphics with every player name can be rendered before the game, but what when it comes to some text that changes in real time during the event?You've got another overlay lay in the Virtual Inputs that you can use for a bug, but an animated bug would have to come from somewhere - and your DDR may be in use already, which leaves only a network input (assuming you don't want to bring it in on a video input).

I don't see a link to a video ...

kltv
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
That's the only way to have a constant background animation. You don't have to burn both DSKs if you are willing to use a VI input instead. You can stack the keys there and go to the VI when you want the mix. That would leave the DSKs free.

If you don't need constant background motion but want to animate the lower third on, it is possible to do that with Animation Store Transitions and the built-in titler. See this thread, I've got some animated examples. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=120362

There's also a brief tutorial in the latest NewTek magazine.

Kris

stijef
06-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Thank you guys, I have to study fully what you are pointing on.

Until then, check this video @ 00:22 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXRTA2Bf98
and this one at 3:20 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iNBGhPUTWI (sorry for bad quality, but it helps understand the situation)

Basically my question is: how to get this scoreboard animation together with real time updated text, using:
+ tga pictures I got from the client
+ Livetext
+ TC X450 (it is 455 indeed, but I have to upgrade SW to 455)

My idea id to roll animation through DDR, then activate livetext input just over that section where the animation is. After that DDR can be 'removed'. Does they did it that way?

PIZAZZ
06-04-2012, 07:41 AM
You could also just use a better CG that gives you full motion Graphics. CGTools is one we had been working with that comes in via the iVGA network input just like LiveText does. Except it can be full motion graphic backgrounds and text animated.

stijef
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
You could also just use a better CG that gives you full motion Graphics. CGTools is one we had been working with that comes in via the iVGA network input just like LiveText does. Except it can be full motion graphic backgrounds and text animated.

Are you talking about UltimateCG? Those guys desperately need application designer (awful front-end).
However, I don't see how to pull text dynamically from XML or database, what is superb feature of LiveText when it comes to sports. Do you know how to do that in UltimateCG in order to have real time score and time over the screen. With animated backgrounds below those data. That is what I'm missing in Livetext - animated appearance.