PDA

View Full Version : 'vertex normal map' surface issue?

3dWannabe
02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I did a scan in all the pdf's and can't find 'Vertex Normal Map' from surfaces dialog documented anywhere?

I'm working with a model originally translated from 3ds using PolyTrans.

I got the model to render ok, but I could not resize it without totally messing it up.

So I used Scene2Modeler
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106028

which generated a single LW object (from 50 tied together in a scene) that looks great in Modeler and also Layout ... until I render it. I get some random looking black crud on the skin of my render.

I tried renaming the UV Maps (50 objects with all the UV maps named as 'UV Texture') to try to resolve the issue.

That didn't work.

Then, I noticed in Surfaces there's a drop down combo named 'Vertex Normal Map' with vert_normals selected.

If I change that to 'none', I don't get the black crud, but it doesn't look quite right either. The face of my model looks a bit different, and not in a good way. So, I gather the Vertex Normal Map was doing something useful.

I'm perplexed. I don't know where to find and edit this 'vert_normals' - and I certainly don't know exactly what the problem is or how to correct it. Makes it a bit harder as I can't find anything in the pdfs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mattc
02-17-2010, 08:55 PM
You can't edit the vertex normal map currently. Its solely for use with importing OBJ's.

3dWannabe
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Here are two images. One with the messed up face has a vertex map. The other has it removed.

How can I get the image to display properly with the vertex map?