PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone reproduce this crash?

eracer
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Will someone please try to reproduce this error:

Start VT(5) normally. Have video sources on c1a and c2a.

Load the following modules:

Switcher
Program Monitor
Preview Monitor
DSK Monitor
DDR
DDR2
Audio Mixer

Open 'Input Setup.'

Make sure 'Follow Preview' is on.

Turn "Live Matte" on for c1a and c2a.

Exit "Input Setup." Then reopen it.

If I do that several times (with 'Live Matte' kept on,) I get a VT(5).exe error with the faulting module of kernel32.dll.

I reinstalled a fresh copy of XP Pro32, and installed a fresh copy of VT(5), patching it up to 5.2d. No joy.

I swapped out the VT card, and the SX-84. No joy.

I swapped out the nVidia card. No joy.

Supermicro C2SBX
Intel Q9400
4GB DDR2
SATA System Drive on ICH9 embedded controller
4x SATA RAID-5 media drive on ICH9 embedded controller
nVidia 9500GT with latest nVidia driver

eracer
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Just checking in...:help:

Paul Lara
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Have you submitted this as a bug report? You can access Fogbugz from the VT[5] Start menu.

eracer
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Paul - I don't know if it's a bug, so I haven't submitted it as such. I was under the impression that fogbugz was for bug reports, and I've been proceding under the assumption that this is a Windows issue - not a VT issue. I've been swapping out hardware, and each time after I've swapped something have been unable to reproduce the crash, only to have the customer call me back a few days later telling me that it was crashing. Once I started following his procedure exactly, I can crash it every time - even with all the new parts. Thus, I'm considering that it might be a bug, which is why I'd really like someone to follow the steps below and see if their machine crashes. If it is a bug, I'll be upset (obviously, since I've spent all this time, energy, and money chasing a hardware problem) but at least I'll know what the problem is. I've been messing with this for far too long now...

I did find memory problems using MemTest+, and these only went away when I swapped the motherboard, leading me to conclude that the MOBO had a bad memory controller (new RAM failed MemTest+). Unfortunately, neither new RAM nor a new MOBO solved the crashing problem.

I've tested with my known good VT5 card - no joy.

I've gone through Microsoft's laundry list of possible sources of the kernel32.dll error I'm getting. Here are most of them.

Updated all drivers
Replaced the motherboard with the same Supermicro C2SBX.
Replaced the CPU
Replaced the RAM
Replaced the hard drive
Reinstalled WinXP
Replaced the power supply
Removed the RAID array from the system
Reinstalled VT5 and patched to 5.3
Tested with a known good nVidia card (and tested with three previous driver versions.)
Tested with a known good SX84
Tested different DVI monitor

The only hardware that hasn't been replaced is the chassis and the DVD drive. I also never did anything with the BIOS, since the system has the most current version.

I'm in the process of building a new system with a different motherboard (X7DAL.) I only recently switched from the Supermicro X7DAL to the C2SBX, and I'm exploring the idea that the C2SBX is somehow not compatible with the VT5 (although I do have another customer using a computer identical to this one, and they aren't reporting any problems. Maybe they aren't following the exact same sequence of steps, and aren't seeing the crash for that reason.

Here are the exact steps that I could do to reproduce the crash every time. I realize that some (even most) of them are probably irrelevant, but I'm been following the steps exactly to eliminate any possibility of introducing another variable.

(WinXP desktop in Dual-Monitor Span on nVidia 9500GT)

1. Run 'Reset Configuration' and allow auto-calibration to run.

2. Open [Switcher] and place at bottom of left screen

3. Open three (3) [Video Monitor] Place 'DSK' just above [Switcher], place 'Preview' in upper left of left screen. Place program next to preview. (All monitors at default size.)

4. Open [Audio Mixer] Run in compact mode and place in lower left of right screen.

5. Open [DDR] and place in upper left of right screen.

6. Open [DDR2] and place directly below [DDR]

7. Add a clip to [DDR] Play a few seconds, then stop it.

8. Open and close [Input Setup] twice (Make sure "Follow Preview" is checked.) Leave [Input Setup] closed until step 10. 'Live Matte' does not need to be turned 'On.'

9. Select 'Input 1 on 'Preview Row, and 'Input 2' on Program Row. Take from 'Input 2' to 'Input 1', then back from 1 to 2.

10. Open [Input Setup}

Program will crash with a faulting module of VT5.exe, and a kernel32.dll error.

Paul Lara
04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Please submit this as a bug report, because your hyper-thorough trouble-shooting seems to have eliminated any possible hardware causes (such as bad RAM or failing power supply).

eracer
04-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Please submit this as a bug report, because your hyper-thorough trouble-shooting seems to have eliminated any possible hardware causes (such as bad RAM or failing power supply).

Done. Thanks

eracer
04-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Any feedback on this yet?

Has anyone in this fine community of VT5 users tried this procedure to see if they could replicate the crash?

How can I see whether the bug report has been acted on?

Can I get some guidance on submitting a detailed debug?

FYI - I just installed a fresh copy of VT5 on a brand new computer running a different MOBO, different VGA card, etc. I tried it with two different VT cards. I can replicate the crash if I follow the procedure listed above.

Basically, if I switch back and forth a few times, opening and closing 'Input Setup' it will crash.

I need verification of this if I am to go back to the School Board and tell them that the problem I've been working on for over a month has been a software bug all along.

I need some 'next-level' help here. Thanks.

Quiet1onTheSet
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Can I get some guidance on submitting a detailed debug?

START Menu > All Programs > NewTek > VT5 Support.exe will take you to the Fogbugz bug reporting site. Be sure to select VT[5] in the drop-down menu before typing your report, lest you forget to do so.

If I were you, I'd just copy and paste into Fogbugz report window, what you've already posted to these forums, since what you've posted here is as comprehensive as any reporting I've seen.

Before saving and exiting, you'll have provided your Email address, and subsequently, NewTek "Area 51 Support" will automatically send you a confirmation that your report has been filed, and you'll then have a Case Number ID, and an associated link to go to at a later date, so you'll be able to check the Status of your Case.

That's it.
:thumbsup:
Q1

eracer
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks - I did all that. Haven't heard word one from the team.

START Menu > All Programs > NewTek > VT5 Support.exe will take you to the Fogbugz bug reporting site. Be sure to select VT[5] in the drop-down menu before typing your report, lest you forget to do so.

If I were you, I'd just copy and paste into Fogbugz report window, what you've already posted to these forums, since what you've posted here is as comprehensive as any reporting I've seen.

Before saving and exiting, you'll have provided your Email address, and subsequently, NewTek "Area 51 Support" will automatically send you a confirmation that your report has been filed, and you'll then have a Case Number ID, and an associated link to go to at a later date, so you'll be able to check the Status of your Case.

That's it.
:thumbsup:
Q1

eracer
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
School's starting, and I suspect that nothing has changed on my customer's machines with regards to this problem.

I still haven't heard anything back from Fogbugz, nor has anyone posted to this thread about the results of any attempt to replicate this error.

I'm adrift here.

csandy
09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Have you tried installing Windows 7 PRO 64bit and attempted to reproduce the error under that OS?