PDA

View Full Version : tutorial on modelling office building/architecture

webshot
09-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Hello I am just beginning with LW and would like to get my feet wet by modelling an office building (exterior). Does anyone know of a good tutorial or resource to get me started with. I will tackle the inside later but if you know a tut for that also that would be cool. Any help greatly appreciated

retinajoy
09-07-2003, 03:06 AM
Try Dan Ablans book 'Lightwave 7', which has a good architectural tutorial building a Skyscraper. 'LightWave Applied version 6.5 & 7' also has a very good tutorial spread across two chapters.

09-07-2003, 03:11 AM
There are so many things that could be involved in modeling an office exterior that I suspect any tut would either be incredibly long or too loosly general.
It is much more usefull to start modeling in bite sized chunks.
Start by modeling and surfacing things that are actually on the desk in front of you - a slightly open matchbox is a good start.
Then try adding a window to it !
Work on single elements as separate objects- like windows, doors, roof details.
Explore the way you can build things up from sigle flat polys using bevel, extrude, etc.
Practice using 'array' and various stretches to multiply things up - you should never need to repeatedly model the same detail
If you want to work on getting the reflective surfaces right, remember they will be entirely dependent on what you give them to reflect - be it refmap, object, procedural sky or whatever - so work on that separately using a very simple model with just a few surface - if you leave it untill you have built the whole thing you will waste hours waiting for test renders because so much time will be spent rendering the whole geometry.
- same applies to most of you surfaces - work them out on simple objects of the right sort of scale seen at the right sort of distance.
-big waste of time to beautifully surface a single brick when one will never be more than a couple of pixels in a finished image!
Very important to learn not to have large quantities of poly's you will never see - you only need the exterior surface of any unit - this is a big problem if you ever work from CAD files - they have tons of excess information that fills up your obj files.

webshot
09-07-2003, 12:14 PM
thanks for the advice adrian. A tut is cool for me because I have a habit of going off on my own and trying new things at various stages in the tut. So I end up learning more than what the tut intended. Plus I have the gigantic LW books that came with 7.5. A saved up for a very long time to buy LW.

I will take a look at those books, but if anyone has a link they can post i'd love it.

webshot
09-08-2003, 09:23 AM
pleez....someone has to know of a tut for architecture in LW 7.5? I spent all my money buying the software so I have no money for book? :(

retinajoy
09-08-2003, 04:17 PM
There are some architecture tutotials here for you. This site also has many other types of LW tutorial links to browse through. I hope this helps.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/everyday_objects.htm#Architecture

webnel
09-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey, I'm on the same boat as you. I freaked at first, but slowly getting the hang of Arch modeling and rendering in my newly purchased LW 7.5. From a friends book - Inside LW 6 it has a tut for building a schoolhouse. It's my first LW project. It didn't take long for me to model on my own no longer following the tut word for word. BTW I couldn't find any other tuts for Arch stuff on the web or in books. Like Adrian said above - take small steps when first starting off in Arch modeling and rendering.

Here is a sample I just rendered (mid anti). Work in progress - still have a lot to learn about LW!

webshot
09-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Man thats a pretty good school house. All of the lightwave books look so intimidating, 2,000 pages weighing about 25lbs. I hope I will get good quick...Thanks for the link they have some good stuff there.

webnel
09-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Webshot - Most LW books a large and cover many things. I bought this book (URL below) because it's for beginners and does a very good job covering LW with less text and more photos (no tuts, though). Now I can understand and tolerate the book that came w/LW 7.5. Since I have some of the basics down I'll be attending a two day LW training class in Austin. Hopefully I'll be able to absorb most of the training and move faster and work better.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321179129/ref=ase_lightwatutoriaon/103-7929327-5847057?v=glance&s=books

Thanks about the schoolhouse. I'm transferring some modeling and rendering knowledge from AutoCAD and Accurender.