PDA

View Full Version : Apple Motion for Compositing?

Markc
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Has anyone had any use (or success) with Motion 3 or 4 for multipass compositing?
I am considering After Effects, but Motion looks like it might work similarly,
and looks a lot more user friendly (for someone who hasn't touched on compositing before)
Considering Final Cut Studio is pretty much the same price as After Effects,
(and with FCS I would have all the other software... FCP, Soundtrack, Dvd Studio etc)

OlaHaldor
02-16-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't like Motion at all. It's such a bit** on the RAM and performance. Even on a 8-core Mac Pro I think it's too much of a waste of time fighting against the UI and performance.

If you don't have FCS, go get it. Then check After Effects if you don't like Motion. FCP alone is worth a whole lot of love (and money!!). Couldn't do what I do without it.

avkills
02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
I'll double the notion of Motion being a weird UI. But then again for someone who hasn't dabbled with After Effects you might like it. Most AE people hate it.

AE has served me quite well over the years; just wish interoperability with LW was easier (nothing to do with multi-pass compositing -- that works great!)

-mark

Markc
02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I currently have FCE at the moment, so 'really' I don't need FCP.
It's a pity there's no demo of Motion or that you can buy it separately.

I think After Effects might be the way to go (dive into the manuals).

I want to use EXRTrader to export passes to AFX, and I know there is a good number of LW users who use AFX.

RonGC
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Motion has its uses, i use shake though for compositing. The newest version of motion in FCP7 is much improved over FCP6 though.

Ron

BigHache
02-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I have used Motion and it has gotten the job done, but usually in lieu of having After Effects available.

Getting real-time playback for previewing your comp can be near impossible in Motion if you have too much going on, though I am still using FCP Studio 2.

I have never used FCE, so I'm not sure what you're missing from Pro. If you need to do any DVD authoring then def get FCP Studio. Color is the sex. I NEVER use LiveType, but I do pull looping backgrounds out of it occasionally.

Otterman
02-18-2010, 05:51 AM
AE all the way, its easy to use and very intuitive. Motion has some cool features but it is way too buggy for me to use in production.

KurtF
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
You might give this a try:

Conduit (http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=conduit2)

It's a plug in for Final Cut that gives you the power of node based compositing. Haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising.

Markc
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, I have tried the trial of Conduit with FCE (on my G5).
It doesn't seem to work properly (have to keep rendering for RT playback).
I'm wondering if it's a PPC thing.

avkills
02-19-2010, 04:29 AM
FCP even has rudimentary compositing features; although AE will just be a whole lot easier.

-mark

Markc
02-20-2010, 04:17 AM
avkills
FCP even has rudimentary compositing features; although AE will just be a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the comments.
AE it is. :)

dwburman
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
It's hard to go wrong with AE. It might be worth saving up for a new computer though :)

Markc
02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Am eagerly waiting for announcement of new MacPro's :)

littlewaves
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Am eagerly waiting for announcement of new MacPro's :)

two weeks today

Markc
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Sounds good............:thumbsup:

littlewaves
03-10-2010, 05:42 AM
oh well

Markc
03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
It's looking like the 16th March for the Hexacore.
(weather it's i7 or Xeon, who knows)

littlewaves
03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm just hoping for a price I can realistically consider. I've been putting off getting a Mac Pro for a couple of years now. Last time they updated the line they barely updated the spec and because the pound had dropped so much against the dollar the cost of owning an 8-core actually went up by around 500.

Wonder how many people in the UK actually own a Mac Pro. I bet it's hardly worth it for Apple.

littlewaves
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
It's looking like the 16th March for the Hexacore.
(weather it's i7 or Xeon, who knows)

doesn't look like it'll be today now either .

Next Tuesday then??!!

Not that I've exactly got the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Markc
03-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Latest news: Apple are supposedly using Xeon's in the new macpro's, but might not be out till June :(
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/18/apple-preparing-to-launch-27-inch-led-cinema-display-mac-pro-update-by-june/

dsol
03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
The Xeon 5600s were released a few days ago, so god knows why Apple are hanging around with these updates. Unless there's something else new in this update we weren't expecting? Built in SAS RAID? Lightpeak? (yeah, forget that one for the moment!)

littlewaves
03-19-2010, 02:44 AM
Latest news: Apple are supposedly using Xeon's in the new macpro's, but might not be out till June :(
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/18/apple-preparing-to-launch-27-inch-led-cinema-display-mac-pro-update-by-june/

Sadly I think this is just further evidence of Apple's increasing withdrawal from the pro market.

As I understand it the hexacore xeons are socket compatible with the existing Mac Pro models so al they really need to do is drop them in, up the ram and hard drive a notch or two and they'd have new models for the next year.

I'd like to think they had something special planned for june but expect it'll just be what I've detailed above several months after they could have released it and at a not remotely competitive price.

Markc
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Have gone full circle with my options now.
Managed to get a 'new' copy of shake.......happy now :D

ingo
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Cool, so how stable does it work, on what OS X version ?

RonGC
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Shake 4.1 s extremely stable, production ready and works under snowLeopard as well, its my favourite , nuke is second.

Congrats on getting Shake, your gonna love it.

Ron

aidenvfx
04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Shake 4.1 s extremely stable, production ready and works under snowLeopard as well, its my favourite , nuke is second.

Congrats on getting Shake, your gonna love it.

Ron

Agreed SHAKE is the best one can get for the money. I know SHAKE is still used at a number of facilities and probably will be for a few more years due to in house customizations.

Captain Obvious
04-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Want to do compositing? Install Windows, and run Fusion. It's reasonably cheap ($1500), and VERY good. Shake's not too shabby, but it's pretty old and clunky. Slow, too. Shake is really cheap, but I think Fusion is actually better value for the money. It simply is that much better.

Markc
04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Without getting into a 'mac vs windows' debate, I made the change to mac after many years of 'windows headaches' and would never go back,
(but I do like the look of Fusion, if I got it, it would be on Linux).

Captain Obvious
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Without getting into a 'mac vs windows' debate.
My intention was not to start a platform war. However, Fusion is ace, and very decently priced. Nuke is also ace, but significantly more expensive.

Markc
04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks, your advice is much appreciated :)