PDA

View Full Version : Badly Needed Move Forward/Backward Button in Viewports of Modeler

PabloMack
02-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I have been a LW[8] user since 2004 and just upgraded to LW9.6. There is a feature that is badly needed on the top right margin of each of the view ports. As they are, you can:

1) Translate the focal point up/down-right/left using the four-headed arrow scroll button.
2) Rotate about the focal point with the rotating arrows scoll button.
3) Zoom In/Out to/from the focal point with the magnifying glass scroll button.

There is no translate forward/backward scroll button. If present, it would simply move your "virtual camera" forward or backward along the straight line from the center of the view point through the focal point (that you can zoom into and out of). Zoom does not move the focal point. It only scales your view relative to the focal point. This new button would move the virtual camera at the same rate that the translate up/down-right/left scroll button does in the other two relative dimensions along a line into and out of the view port. This is very important because I often need to move the focal point forward without changing the magnification. When you use the magnification to look at something ahead of you better, the scale goes down and, often times, you run into the clipping region and it all disappears. Besides, I often just want to get closer to the part I am working on without changing the scale. You can't do this because the control is missing. I am surprised that no-one has brought this up before and LW9.6 still doesn't have it.

I suggest a button with a double-headed arrow with a perspective on it to show that it is to move forward/backward. There is plenty of unused space to the left of the existing controls for placement of the new button. Perhaps upward movement of the mouse should move the view forward and a downward movement of the mouse should move the view backward when the new button is used. Side-to-side mouse movement might have no function.

As it is, to move the focal point forward, I have to rotate the view 90% right or left (guessing all the way) and then translate sidewards then rotate the view back again in the opposite direction. This often gets me somewhere I didn't want to go and involves a lot of trial-and-error. If the move foward/backward button were there, it would be so much better because I could see where I was going. This function (in combination with the rotate) would be ideal for traveling through a tubular polygonal structure to examine it from the inside along an arbitrary path in 3D space.

This button would have no visual effect when the view port is selected for one of the six isometric settings. This is because the movement is into and out of the screen relative to the selected view port. Perhaps you could gray the control out when in one of the isometric view port modes.

probiner
02-15-2010, 10:20 AM
with the mouse over the viewport, try Alt+click = rotate (Center and margins, different results); Alt+Shift+click = Translate; Alt+Ctrl+click = Zoom.
Still not middle mouse button, but its faster =)

Cheers

UnCommonGrafx
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
He's talking about a real pan mode. Right now, you can't pan into the viewport with modeler like you can with layout.

Pablo, when you hit that clipping moment, use the bracket keys, [] to bring your view back into view.

PabloMack
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
with the mouse over the viewport, try Alt+click = rotate (Center and margins, different results); Alt+Shift+click = Translate; Alt+Ctrl+click = Zoom.
Still not middle mouse button, but its faster =)

Cheers

So there are alternate ways to do the three view port moves that are already there and NO WAY to do the action that I need and described. This doesn't make up for the lack of functionality.

PabloMack
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
He's talking about a real pan mode. Right now, you can't pan into the viewport with modeler like you can with layout.

Pablo, when you hit that clipping moment, use the bracket keys, [] to bring your view back into view.

Thank you UnCommonGrafx for reading and understanding my post. And thanks for the other info. This is really a basic function that needs to be added to LW. DO NT people regularly read this category and act on good requests (or am I just venting my frustrations in vain)?

Sensei
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Worser is that there is no way to control Modeler's viewports from LWSDK, because if application doesn't have it built-in 3rd party developers could fill gap. But not this time, and never..

UnCommonGrafx
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Afraid your in vain piece might be the case for anything lw9.xx and prior. Core is supposed to be the next version of lw, unfettered by many of the limitations imposed by the code, sdk and the like.

Theoretically, I can understand the lack of this in modeler and why it is in layout (panning into the viewport). Lots of old assumptions about what users would do with their code. Or would want to.

Thank you UnCommonGrafx for reading and understanding my post. And thanks for the other info. This is really a basic function that needs to be added to LW. DO NT people regularly read this category and act on good requests (or am I just venting my frustrations in vain)?