PDA

View Full Version : Linux Screamernet Problem

Hiraghm
09-06-2003, 04:14 PM
I'm trying to set up my Screamernet (and actually use it this time,) and I'm having trouble installing the Linux RPM onto my SuSE 8.2 distribution.

When I use KPackage to install the package, I get a warning that it needs "libcxa.so.1". I can't find this file anywhere.

Does anyone (especially Newtek?) have a suggestion where I might find this file?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jarno
09-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Having gone through this exercise recently myself (but with RH9), I can safely say that libcxa.so.1 is one of the most difficult to get hold of libraries out there. It is part of an old version of the Intel compiler which seems to have been wiped from the planet. LW should have statically linked it, like Intel recommends.

I ended up copying it from the full install of the Linux dedicated server for Solder of Fortune II available at:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/soldierfortune2/

---JvdL---

Hiraghm
09-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Jarno!

Time for the dumb question.... where do I place libcxa.so.1?

Jarno
09-10-2003, 09:41 PM
The library goes somewhere where your library path can find it. /usr/lib/ will work.

---JvdL---

Hiraghm
09-11-2003, 11:12 AM
I put it in /usr/lib, I guess that does it.

I have another problem blocking me from using the Linux rendernode.

Whenever I try to run a script that's located on my screamernet share, I get an error "Permission denied". I'm using the script from Here (http://lwbeginner.hypermart.net/lwsnlinux.html) to set up linux screamernet, and the script "watch.sh" isn't executing, even from the runsn2.sh script.
I can read, write, delete, copy and move files on the share, I just can't execute them.
As a test, I copied a program file from my /usr/bin dir to the screamernet share (after testing to make sure it ran from /usr/bin,) and it also gave me the permission denied message.

Any idea how to get around this problem, or what to look for in my samba setup to fix it?

Jarno
09-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Make sure the scripts and programs have the right permissions set. Make them world-readable and executable. Maybe you forgot to set the executable flag. Use something like:
chmod ugo+rx watch.sh

---JvdL---

akota
10-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I found that if you just do an:

"rpm -i --nodeps lwsn-7.5b-582.i386.rpm"

that all the necessary libs will be placed in:

"/usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/programs"

You can then copy whatever lib's you are missing to /lib.

Jason

akota
10-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Maybe you all can shed some light on this for me. I've got my Linux node all set up under Slackware 9. The first problem I have is when doing a Screamer Init. The node never comes back Ready. I temporarily got around this by editing the ack file. Then when I do a simple scene render (no plug-ins or anything fancy, just a box plain colored, one light, one camera) and try to save the image the Linux node gets going but never saves a file. It has permissions to the share, the Windows nodes write there as well. I've tried several image formats, jpg, psd, tiff, all of which are in the Linux plug-in directory. The Linux node flashes by something about "Command same as last - ignoring". Has anyone gotten a Linux node to render?

Thanks,

Jason

Jarno
10-07-2003, 04:35 PM
The formats that the linux lwsn can use is rather limited. Even though there are a bunch in the plugins dir, they don't appear to work. Quoting a post by bakasaru in the thread http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1530

Originally posted by bakasaru
As for file output with Linux nodes, you only have 4 choices:

Flexible Format (.flx)
IFF ILBM Format (.iff)
IFF32 ILBM Format (.iff)
Targa Format (.tga)*

*specifically, ie, not LW_TGA24 (.tga) or LW_TGA32 (.tga)

If your RGB output isn't on this list, you won't get any file output.

I have had success with the _Targa format.

---JvdL---