PDA

View Full Version : Aligning blueprints

a sandwhich
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm trying to make various vehicles and every time I get blueprints for one, they are not lined up and every time I try to align them, they are still off. Any tips/tricks to aligning these things?

evenflcw
02-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Not all blueprints are picture perfect. I used to bring them into Photoshop, align and scale them to fit overall height and width. Usually made the pixel ratios simpler (add or crop) and made sure front/back/side view had same pixel height, front/back/top same width etc so when I set things up in LW it's easy. Then I'd drag out a few guide lines to see if features matched. If they didn't I'd just edit them. The other option is to just ignore minor discrepancies and do what looks good/right.

JeffrySG
02-13-2010, 06:28 PM
The other option is to just ignore minor discrepancies and do what looks good/right.

This is what I do as well... Unfortunately many times things just don't align they way they are supposed to. This is where having good perspective reference photos or images help as well.

Jockomo
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
The best is when the client gives you the front view from one model and a side view from another model that is only slightly different

hrgiger
02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Make use of your rulers and guides in photoshop. Use your guides to line up elements in the front and side views. So drag a guide down to the top of the car in the front view and then move the side view so that it's the same. Then pick another element to line up, then scale as necessary to get them as close as possible.

I've yet to find a front and side view of ANYTHING that line up perfectly. Line them up as best as possible and then do your best with the rest.

halley
02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Once completed in Photoshop you can create a cube with the same dementias as the object length width and hight to work as guides. For example the object is 8x10x12 make a cube the same size then position and scale your corresponding background slides into the corresponding boxes for top side and front. It's been awhile since I have done this but I remembered it worked.

david_scotland
03-12-2010, 09:01 AM
The method I like to use now is:

Load the images into adobe photoshop cs3 and turn on the grid. Use grid snapping for the crop tool and crop down so that there is a grid line around the object. Use select all and the nudge tool to centre the object inside the grid. Then copy and paste the front view and paste into the rear view as a new layer. Set the new layer opacity down a bit to make it transparent and then use nudge tool again to overlay the front exactly on top of the rear object. Then deselect and cut the front object and save in a new file. This will really help to get things lined up when loaded into the viewports in LightWave.