PDA

View Full Version : FOR HIRE: Convert Object to LW Format

Tim Johnson
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I've got one big object that was built in Alias I believe, and I can't seem to import into LW. Only a few surfaces appear. I don't have Deep Exploration (PC). Can anyone convert this object for me, and how much would it cost me? I have the file in a couple of different formats, none of which import into Modeler:

.ipt
.iv
.obj
.wire

Please contact me asap at: tim (at) grafficjam (dot) com. I can PayPal you immediately.

Thanks!

Svenart
02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
hi,

as far as i know, you can import .3ds and .obj files into modeler. If this is not working, why dont you try deepexploration? I think there is a demoversion of it available in the net.

Tim Johnson
02-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Normally, yes. When I do import into LW, only a few surfaces show up. Very weird.

I'm on a Mac--I don't have DeepExploration. I downloaded the demo, though, and ran it in CrossOver, but it came up with the same result as LW--only a couple of polys.

Sensei
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Maybe your object has data not compatible with .obj and .lwo like NURBS etc stuff?
You need to freeze object with such not supported elements to regular polygons/triangles prior importing.

UnCommonGrafx
02-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Try accutrans: http://www.micromouse.ca/downloads.html

Tim Johnson
02-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

I looked at the AccuTrans site, and see that it doesn't run on Mac. Not sure if my version of CrossOver will support the software, but it might be worth a try.

Freezing the object makes sense. I never thought about that. The files are big--about 80mb for the biggest object. No idea if textures are wrapped into that or not. I just need something I can move around and render easily in LW.

If anyone can make it work, I'll try to get them listed in the credits for this. This is part of a program that will air on National Geographic in a couple of months I believe.

Matt
02-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Have emailed you, I'll give it a try, no charge, if it works, it works, will be easy to convert.

Intuition
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/

Demo version might do what you need.

Tim Johnson
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks!

Matt
02-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks!

Done and emailed, although it looks like the model is incomplete, there are large areas missing.

Soth
02-14-2010, 06:42 AM
I did it, took hours but everything look fine, I charged Tim and when looking at Matts offer I feel little bit bad about it, but well... it was quite a lot of work so I think I was cheap anyway, so, will I get listed in the credits? ;)

Chris S. (Fez)
02-14-2010, 05:05 PM
I charged Tim and when looking at Matts offer I feel little bit bad about it,

Don't feel even a little bad. Tim offered to compensate because he is a professional and knows time is money!

Titus
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
I accept cookies as a payment method.

Sensei
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I accept cookies as a payment method.

Working for food? I didn't know crisis is so bad in North America.. ;)