PDA

View Full Version : Blending (Mode >> Texture Displacement) HowTo?

Soth
02-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi,
I am quite newbie when texturing using Nodes.

In Object > Geometry Displacement I need to blend two procedural textures using Blending Mode >> Texture Displacement and I am completely lost... ;(

Help, Please! :hey:

Cageman
02-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I would create a LayerNode which mimics the finctionality of the layerbased displacement editor. Or, simply just use the layer version (the T) instead of nodes.

Soth
02-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I would create a LayerNode which mimics the finctionality of the layerbased displacement editor. Or, simply just use the layer version (the T) instead of nodes.

yyy, LayerNode? I can see layer nodes but still I have no idea how to use them...

I wanted to use nodes because I need to learn how to use it and graph will be quite complicated... I am trying to do realistic (sic!) lava. :D

BTW, thx for quick reply.

UnCommonGrafx
02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Use an add node.
Plug the bumps in then that out to the Bump.
There is an add 4 for use as well.

Soth
02-13-2010, 07:45 AM
but ADD is totally different than Texture Displacement...

Cageman
02-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Yes it is...

But if you create a LayerNode, you can add textures as layers within a single node and use the Texture displacement feature found in Layers. I'm actually not sure how one would go about doing exactly that with nodes, and quite frankly, I'm not sure anyone would want to do it with nodes, since Layers (and the layernode) already have that functionality. It is like trying to invent the wheel again, and make it alot more complex for the sake of complexity rather than functionality.

:)

Cageman
02-13-2010, 07:52 AM
The only reason to use nodes would be if you want to controll the effect based on whatever can be done with nodes but not layers. But I would still go for a Layernode, set the stuff up and then add other nodes to drive the result based on some value that might be usefull. For example, if you have a null, you could animate the null and drive the strenght of the texture displacement based on the y-pos of the null... and such things...

Soth
02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
...but where is LayerNode?

Dodgy
02-13-2010, 08:25 AM
If you put the colour or bump output of one node into the position of another, that will displace it. You can use the Opacity or Bump Strength value of the input node to control how strong the displacement is, or put a Vector>Scale node in between them and do it that way.

Cageman
02-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Add Nodes -> Layers. You can choose frome Bump Layer, Colour Layer and Scalar Layer. One thing to bare in mind is that you should also add a Spot Info node and a Math->Vector->Scale node. You take the Normal output from Spot Info and hook it into the Normal input on the Scale node, you then take the Alpha from your Layer node (I used the Bump Layer node in the screenshot attached) and hook it into the Scale input on the scale node. This will tell the displacement to only evaluate in the normal direction. If you use the Bump-output directly on the Displacement, you will notice a different effect.

UnCommonGrafx
02-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Did you say you were trying to learn about nodes? :)
Yeah, add. It's a node you can use under math>vector>.
And just for kicks, in there I've left an orphaned layer piece as I believe Cageman is speaking.
Import it in the Node Editor. (right-click>import nodes)

edit: Change the file cuz one of them wasn't working.

UnCommonGrafx
02-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Chuckle, Cageman beat me to it and with an exemplary explanation.
Defer to his explanation.

Cageman
02-13-2010, 08:31 AM
If you put the colour or bump output of one node into the position of another, that will displace it. You can use the Opacity or Bump Strength value of the input node to control how strong the displacement is, or put a Vector>Scale node in between them and do it that way.

I did try that but it didn't displace anything. I used a Ripple texture in one node and a Turbulence in another node. I then hooked the Ripple texture into the Bump-input on the Turbulence node and then took that into the displacement. Since the Ripple-texture is animated by default, I was hoping to get a similar effect as in using a Layer-node with Texture displacement, but it didn't do anything.

Cageman
02-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Ok... I actually got it to work, but the main issue I have is that it doesn't give the same result as using Texture Displacements in a Layer-node, because I'm forced to use the bump-output instead of the alpha output, which generates a result that looks worse.

UnCommonGrafx
02-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah,
Seems some of the textures don't work. Or don't in the default state, e.g., FBM.

Cageman
02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Ok... I managed to get something that actually works decent enough (but still not similar to a Layer-node with Texture displacement).

The trick is to convert the bump to a scalar before hooking it into the Scale-input. In this case, I set the converter (Vector Scalar node) to Length.

Cageman
02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
...and here is the content...

Soth
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
cheers, I got some new ideas thx to you guys and I am playing with settings :)

Dodgy
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I did try that but it didn't displace anything. I used a Ripple texture in one node and a Turbulence in another node. I then hooked the Ripple texture into the Bump-input on the Turbulence node and then took that into the displacement. Since the Ripple-texture is animated by default, I was hoping to get a similar effect as in using a Layer-node with Texture displacement, but it didn't do anything.

Sorry, I miss-read the OP as he wanted to displace a texture using another, not to displace the mesh using two.

Soth
02-15-2010, 05:23 AM
William Vaughan
Creating Texture Displacement and more in the Node Editor:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/td.mov
:D

Cageman
02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
AHh... yes ofcourse *doh* :)

Rove
02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
As I read it you want to mix/blend two textures into one? Why don't you just check the Enable Bump and setup the displacement in the Surface Editor?

Cageman
02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
As I read it you want to mix/blend two textures into one? Why don't you just check the Enable Bump and setup the displacement in the Surface Editor?

What he wants to do is to do something that is similar to using Texture Displacement, which is a Blendingmode. One texture displaces the other, and that result is shown. It is not the same thing as using Add or Multiply etc. But Williams tutorial on the matter is of course the way to do it; take texture A, put it into either Position, Rotation or Scale of texture B.

Done.

Rove
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
ah ok. using a texture displacement as an input for another texture. ;)