PDA

View Full Version : Patching up a hole

SirPeterIII
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi,

This is my first model as you probably can see and I have a problem with a hole. There is a big hole that I made when overusing the "move" tool.
I've tried flipping polygons and welding. I cant seem to fix it. Is there an easy way to fix the mess I've made or do I have to do things that are hard for a noob?

Sensei
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, you have to switch viewport mode to wireframe and carefully select points in right order and make polygon.

With EasyMesh http://easymesh.trueart.pl it would be just one click on edge, like this:
http://www.trueart.eu/Products/Plug-Ins/EasyMesh/Graphics/Movies/EasyMesh_8.gif

meshpig
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Hi...
I cant seem to fix it. Is there an easy way to fix the mess I've made or do I have to do things that are hard for a noob?

Get rid of that horrible pole for a start:D

Sensei
02-13-2010, 03:02 AM
does easymesh snap to modeller grid units sysem? like move, bevel, extrude.

Yes. EasyMesh uses ToolEvent.deltaSnap offset, so if point position is snapped to grid, final position also will be snapped.

Without it wouldn't possible to use it in technical modeling.. :)

I am using EasyMesh to make house in top viewport with walls, spaces for doors and windows (adding them later produces wicked polygons, because of using boolean operations. I prefer nice square, rectangle polygons).

probiner
02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
To patch the hole, just select each 4 points at a time an press 'p'

Tools you probably going to use a lot for that modeling when working with edges:
"Connect" After Selecting edges this will cut them
"Dissolve" works like merge polygons, but you can use it for points and edges.
"Select Ring" and then Connect to add a loop
"Select Loop" and the dissolve to kill loop or bevel to create loop

Image above, is with some possibilities to improve the mesh config you have.

Have fun modeling =)

SirPeterIII
02-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for your reactions. Much apreciated :)
I havent fixed the hole yet but I will manage eventually.

JeffrySG
02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
is it an actual hole or did you move some verts or weld some verts together so the mesh got stretched out in places it wasn't supposed to? If you don't mind posting the file we could take a look but it looks to me like you have some weird geometry going on there that needs to be cleaned up.

SirPeterIII
02-21-2010, 01:27 PM
:agree:

Yeah most likely outstreched. File attached, ive started a new one since its a mess. In autopatch everything looks good :)

JeffrySG
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Just looks like you had some very extreme non-planar polys, a lot of 2point polys, and a few polys missing as well. If you make a loop cut down the middle of the ship you can then use symmetry on the model or just model half of it and mirror it when you're ready too.

SirPeterIII
02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your help :)

So much to learn and it all "looks" so easy :)

JeffrySG
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your help :)

So much to learn and it all "looks" so easy :)

No problem. Just keep an eye out for 2point polys in the statistics menu. You can select them there and then delete them as needed. Also remember that polys that are very non-planer - will not render correctly in openGL many times.