PDA

View Full Version : Rendering folded paper objects

donlimpio
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi!

We've sold an idea to a client where a website is built out of folded paper objects (the classic example is a small and simple car made out of paper, with the side and hood and roof etc printed onto the paper). The objects would unfold on mouseover to reveal things printed on the inside of the objects (on the white paper inside).

For practical reasons, we would like to render these objects, but they need to look as if the images are photographs of real paper cut out shapes.

Does anyone know of tutorials or reference images or renders that look like real cut-out paper? I'm thinking I need to find out what the imperfections are that give away the fact that it's paper, and need to emulate these. I will of course make the paper objects for first hand reference material, but any help is welcome!

thanks,
Thomas

OFF
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
there can be will help
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

monovich
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I did some CG origami work, and I found that making it real was very easy to do just by adding a subtle crumpled paper texture to it (from a photo).

The realism from paper objects will come from the cues that your eye has that they've been made, not modeled. They need to be imperfect, they need to have folds, smudges, etc. Lighting and DOF help sell it all as well.