PDA

View Full Version : Remote PC Control Software Recommendations?

Matt
02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi all

So here I am again, setting a load of scene files to render on my home machine using RenderQ.

However, two of the scenes take about 4 hours each, on top of all the other ones it means it won't be finished in the morning on my home machine.

So I have to head off to work at 1am to set the other two scenes going on my work machine. Fortunately it's only 10mins away by car.

What I'd love to be able to do is copy the scene files to my work machine, and then using remote access control set the scenes rendering using RenderQ.

My work machine clearly isn't a server, so I can't set it up using ScreamerNet over a network.

Is there any software available that I can run on my work PC that will allow me to connect to it, copy files to it, and remote access control it as if I was sat in front of it?

If so, any recommendations would be great. Preferably not something that costs the earth.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt
02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Okay, so this sounds like it does what I want:

https://www.gotomypc.com

But it's a subscription service (although not too pricey). Thing is, I only need this functionality occasionally when deadlines are tight, so I'd rather buy a program that does this and use it whenever I like.

Matt
02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
BTW: Yes I have Googled this, found a few things, so it's recommendations I'm after really. Ideally single purchase programs, and not subscription services if possible.

cresshead
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
remote desktop

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Matt
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
remote desktop

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

Doh, of course, but how does it compare to some of the programs out there?

Never tried this you see.

Edit: Ahhhhhh but my home PC is not on a VPN with my work. Ideally I need something that can work over the tinternet tubes.

Edit 2: Also, I guess IP addresses need to be static too right?

cresshead
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
all i know is that all my mates over at heart internet use it for working from home or taking control of windonws servers 50 miles away at the data centre...it's their workhorse so to speak...so it must be okay

Matt
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
all i know is that all my mates over at heart internet use it for working from home or taking control of windonws servers 50 miles away at the data centre...it's their workhorse so to speak...so it must be okay

Excuse my noobness on this subject.

So if I set RD up on my work PC, I can connect to it from home by simply typing in the name of the computer, I don't need to use the IP address? (Reason being I'm not sure it has a static one).

Also, do I have to set up a new user specifically or can I log in from home using my actual user name / password that I use at work?

Philbert
02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure how to use Remote Desktop over a VPN, but if you do end up using it and you have either Vista or 7 I highly recommend this gadget, it makes it really quick and easy to access Remote Desktop:
http://community.citrix.com/display/ocb/2009/08/18/Remote+Desktop+Gadget+for+Windows+7

(It says Win7 but it will work with Vista also)

I can't imagine simply typing the name would work, how would it know where to look for that name? It would have go searching the net for every computer it can find, trying to match the name. i only use it on my home network but here I did not have to set up a special account, I just used my regular name / pass.

rocker_lx
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.teamviewer.com

This one doesn't need a VPN, You can even use it for free privately.
I often use to do support for friends, it normally runs in an interactive mode, where the user on the computer has to give you an ID code and password before you can connect to his PC, but it is also described in the manual that you can use it to connect to PCs which are not even logged in, so it should also be able to do what you want to do. I would say try it and if you like it subscribe to it.

Edit

Excuse my noobness on this subject.

So if I set RD up on my work PC, I can connect to it from home by simply typing in the name of the computer, I don't need to use the IP address? (Reason being I'm not sure it has a static one).

Also, do I have to set up a new user specifically or can I log in from home using my actual user name / password that I use at work?

This will probably not work, your home PC will most likely not find your Work PC name as it is in an internal network with it's name not known to Internet Name servers.

Connecting to it's IP will probably also not work, as the work network is very likely behind a Firewall with address translation in place and uses private IP addresses which are not accessible from Internet, so you would need to open the RemoteDesktopProtocol port in you Firewall and map the Address translation frrom the Firwall public IP to the PCs private IP. A little complicated as you see. Teamviewer avoids this Problems as it opens an outgoing connection for both partys to their server and connects both partners, you don't even need to enter an IP, the connection is pure initiated via ID code and password. The only limit which could occur is that you could need to configure your firewall at work to allow Teamviewer to connect to the Internet, but no need to fiddle with Address translation as this should be already set up for normal Internet access.

Hope this makes a little sense. ;)

akademus
02-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I think TeamViewer has VPN, but you cannot use remote desktop and vpn at the same time, its one or another. You choose before you connect to remote computer

Its very good, btw

akademus
02-10-2010, 01:30 AM
LogMeIN uses ip adresses i think, but its much slower than teamviewer. Between these two I ended up using Teamviewer.

Cheers

biliousfrog
02-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Another vote for teamviewer, I let Luke use my computer for debugging vRoom on 64bit, it worked great. I can't remember whether you needed to have someone on each computer to start the session though?

feelthefear
02-10-2010, 02:04 AM
I found that teamviewer is best for these kinds of things. It's free and you can even use it from a browser anywhere. All you have to do is create a free account at their website and add computers at home that have teamviewer installed, like adding some IM contacts. Then they will appear online when PC is on. Just connect then, transfer files and render. Cheers

EDIT: No, you don't need anyone to start the session if you link PCs with your account.

Matt
02-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Cool, I'll check out Teamviewer, let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

3DGFXStudios
02-10-2010, 04:17 AM
I use Logmein and it works super fast here. It also has an Iphone app. I've never used Teamviewer so I can't tell you what the differences are but for me logmein works great.....also on MAC.

Salv8or
02-10-2010, 04:22 AM
I would recomend Teamviewer, its free for non commercial use, VERY easy to setup and if you just want to temporary connect to your home computor from some other place than youre office, theres a small client on their home page witch you dont even have to install to access it.
I have never been in a sutiuation where its been blocked by a firewall if it have not been blocked out manually.
It doesnt dissconect current user from the comuter, so its very usefull for helping your'e friends with computerproblems to. =)

Hope it works out fine for you to Matt.

feelthefear
02-10-2010, 06:15 AM
I used both, now i use logmein just to check status on iphone

-EsHrA-
02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
teamviewer, simple and it works.

Philbert
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
As a bonus you get to see a hot chick on TeamViewers website. She's even pointing at it, it must be good!
http://www.teamviewer.com/

JML
02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
not exactly sure it's what you are looking for but we are using vnc here to connect to other computers..

http://www.realvnc.com/

Matt
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Just set a test render going in modo using Teamviewer on my work machine to check this out.

Flippin' works too! Awesome! :)

BeeVee
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Darn! Too late to add my recommendation for TeamViewer along with everyone else before you tried it for yourself. Fantastic bit of software. (JML I used to use RealVNC as well, but TeamViewer is faster and *so* easy to set up by comparison with any form of VNC it's not even funny).

B

kurv
02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Matt, I have been using this forever and it has a iPhone app as well... amazing tool..

www.logmein.com

ken_g9
02-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Another vote for teamviewer. Or am I too late? ;D

colkai
02-11-2010, 01:42 AM
We use teamviewer a lot here, it's a breeze, though I've admittedly to set my PC up so I can connect without needing it started manually. If no-one is around to do so, my PC isn't on anyway. :)

JML
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Darn! Too late to add my recommendation for TeamViewer along with everyone else before you tried it for yourself. Fantastic bit of software. (JML I used to use RealVNC as well, but TeamViewer is faster and *so* easy to set up by comparison with any form of VNC it's not even funny).
B
Thanks Beevee, Vnc works good here, but I'll try teamviewer on monday,
the screenshots do look good.
we use it to login to the rendernodes to fix lw issues.

BeeVee
02-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey JML,

VNC does work great inside a network once it has been set up - I'm not saying you should change for changes' sake - just that TV is far easier to use from a layman's point of view (much easier when your relative needs help with their computer for instance and you can just say "launch this app and I'll deal with it..." ;)

B

JML
02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Things are kind of slow at work, and sometimes some vnc clients refresh rate are kind of slow, so since a lot of people here seem to like it, I might give it a try to see if it's better.

The other day, I was helping somebody removing a fake anti-virus on the phone, and yes, I wish I had the computer in front of me, and setting up vnc would have been hard by itself :)