PDA

View Full Version : Delete an object from a scene

Richard Collins
02-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi i have been using lightwave for a little while now and was wondering how to delete an object from a scene file?

Probably really easy but i cant find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance to any replys!

Rich :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard Collins
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Just found the delete menu under the items tab at the bottom of the left hand list, select the item and click clear!!

Cheers anyway!

3dsimpso
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Just found the delete menu under the items tab at the bottom of the left hand list, select the item and click clear!!

Cheers anyway!

Was just going to say that. :)

biliousfrog
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
...or hit the minus key "-" ;)

prometheus
02-11-2010, 08:06 AM
confusing inconsistency UI between modeler and layout.

You can remap your shortcut under edit/edit shortcut.
I prefer having clearing objects mapped to the delete key as in modeler.

Michael

Dexter2999
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
delete key in layout is reserved for deleting keyframes
minus key is for removing items from the scene

context sensitive delete key would be nice though

4dartist
02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
You'll get so used to it, that you won't imagine why other programs don't work the same way. Happens to me in about every aspect. :)

prometheus
02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
well Im not comfortable with it, for me it feels like inconsistency in workflow..and at first glance it definetly will confuse a beginner simple because itīs not connected to a first instinct location, namely delete as
in modeler.

inconsistency workflow UI are also on other places...such as F8 for
presets in layout and F9 for render in layout, but in modeler itīs F9 for
presets..what the?

I would remap the whole thing to minus for keyframe instead, that can be
confusing thou if youre following tutorials that are pointing to those buttons.

Michael

prometheus
02-12-2010, 12:59 AM
would be easier with adding keyframes + and deleting keyframes -

Lightwolf
02-12-2010, 03:06 AM
would be easier with adding keyframes + and deleting keyframes -
I suppose the logic behind the decision was:
If you animate you spend a lot more time creating and deleting key frames than loading or deleting items in a scene.
So the most obvious keys get the most often used functionality.

On the other hand, that decision was made before Autokey, which changes the game a little.

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
02-12-2010, 06:50 AM
I suppose the logic behind the decision was:
If you animate you spend a lot more time creating and deleting key frames than loading or deleting items in a scene.
So the most obvious keys get the most often used functionality.

On the other hand, that decision was made before Autokey, which changes the game a little.

Cheers,
Mike

Well yeah ..that might be understandable, but those - and + buttons are
just located further to the right and are probably more ergonomicly wiser
to use than the return and delete key,..and they are mor logical in terms
of relationship between the buttons.

I donīt see why return and delete key should be faster to use instead of - + keys.

And as mentioned, autokey is there and also the delete key and create key buttons under the timeline for easy acess.

I Myself are doing most still renders and are more in need of deleting objects from scenes, but thank god this isnīt any big issue since we can
configure it as we want, it just make me wonder about the ideas behind
creating a good UI workflow.

This very thread thou obviously says that almost any newcomer would probably start scratching their heads ..unless reading through the manual.

the delete command is connected to a mental projection of what it does, and ergo most programs use this for it.

Michael

Lightwolf
02-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Well yeah ..that might be understandable, but those - and + buttons are just located further to the right and are probably more ergonomicly wiser to use than the return and delete key,..and they are mor logical in terms of relationship between the buttons.
They're only further to the right if you use the numeric pad. And on my keyboard + is right to the left of return, - on the left of the left shift key.

I donīt see why return and delete key should be faster to use instead of - + keys.
Because they're a) bigger and b) used more in general

And as mentioned, autokey is there and also the delete key and create key buttons under the timeline for easy acess.
I haven't used that button since LW 4.0 ;)

I Myself are doing most still renders and are more in need of deleting objects from scenes, but thank god this isnīt any big issue since we can
configure it as we want, it just make me wonder about the ideas behind
creating a good UI workflow.
I suppose the focus in Layout is animation.

...unless reading through the manual.
There's no excuse not to, unless you didn't pay for the package with your own money... and even then there's no excuse ;)

the delete command is connected to a mental projection of what it does, and ergo most programs use this for it.
The problem is that there's a lot of things that can potentially be deleted... and in this context it's never clear what is meant (as opposed to the image editor for example, where you can delete an image using the delete key).

Also, even the load/save shortcuts aren't consistent between Layout and Modeler... because one primarily works in scenes the other on objects.

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
02-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Ohh..Im having a hard time following those arguments/thoughts from your
latest reply Lightwolf..:stumped:

but hey, it might be my displaced mind or that Im a swede..:)

Michael

Lightwolf
02-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Ohh..Im having a hard time following those arguments/thoughts from your
latest reply Lightwolf..:stumped:

Sorry for that...
I suppose the essence is: if you work on stills then your arguments make sense. From an animators point of view the current set-up has more advantages.

Cheers,
Mike

4dartist
02-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I animate almost every day in lightwave, and it works good for me. But my hot keys are very customized. I really only use remove object about 1/100 of the time I delete keys. I also use auto key 100% of the time. I agree with lightwolf for the most part, but hell it's your computer if you don't like the layout switch it. Lightwave has the best hotkey editor ever.

If you do have co-workers though, remember the further you stray from the defualt layout the more of a loser you'll look when trying to show something on their computer haha. I know this to be true. You'll be sitting there trying to remove objects and instead delete key will come up and your co-worker will think.. 'this guy can't even remove an object', then you'll be looking in the menu for a 'delete object' button, etc etc. :)~

toby
02-14-2010, 12:45 AM
It's always made sense to me, the Delete key *destroys* data - removing an object from a scene isn't destructive, it's just taking it out of that particular scene. If you're referenceing in Max or Maya, you don't remove them with the delete key either.

prometheus
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
It's always made sense to me, the Delete key *destroys* data - removing an object from a scene isn't destructive, it's just taking it out of that particular scene. If you're referenceing in Max or Maya, you don't remove them with the delete key either.

O well..

Yeah..it destroys data,ergo removing selected parts or objects, we can
turn and twist the word as we want.

It must make no sense in modeler then, - hide object, and delete for removing selected data.

As mentioned before..this very starter of the thread is likely to point out
that something isnīt located where most people are expecting it to be..when
you are new to lightwave or 3d.

Think back and recall what was the first choice of button to press when trying
to remove something from the scene? the - button or delete key?..well
I sure as hell pressed the delete key, as did the starter of this thread.
Learning to use the - key and get used to it is something different.

I believe the overall workflow would gain from keeping consistent shortcuts
throughout modeler and layout as much as it can, with core that would probably be solved with the merging.

Whats the story behind f9 for presets in modeler and f8 for presets in layout?
regarding tools most used in ones workflow it might be wiser to put modeler
tools like move,rotate,scale at the same places instead of how they behave since everyones probably more likely to use those tools much more.

All this is of course probably very personal, but think there are a lot of inconsistency in the UI.
Michael

Dexter2999
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
O well..

It must make no sense in modeler then, - hide object, and delete for removing selected data.

As mentioned before..this very starter of the thread is likely to point out
that something isnīt located where most people are expecting it to be..when
you are new to lightwave or 3d.

Think back and recall what was the first choice of button to press when trying
to remove something from the scene? the - button or delete key?..well
I sure as hell pressed the delete key, as did the starter of this thread.
Learning to use the - key and get used to it is something different.

I believe the overall workflow would gain from keeping consistent shortcuts
throughout modeler and layout as much as it can, with core that would probably be solved with the merging.

Whats the story behind f9 for presets in modeler and f8 for presets in layout?
regarding tools most used in ones workflow it might be wiser to put modeler
tools like move,rotate,scale at the same places instead of how they behave since everyones probably more likely to use those tools much more.

All this is of course probably very personal, but think there are a lot of inconsistency in the UI.
Michael

Yeah, I did the same thing. So we have that in common. Know what else we have in common? We didn't read the manual first or have any sort of training. We both guessed and we guessed wrong.

I can see where it makes sense in logical realm of why it does what it does. I do think however that if it were contextual then it could not only make logical sense but be "intuitive". If you have an object selected and are on a keyframe and hit DELETE it deletes the keyframe. If you have an object selected and there is no keyframe and hit DELETE then a prompt appears, "Remove object from scene? Yes/No"

Lightwolf
02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I do think however that if it were contextual then it could not only make logical sense but be "intuitive". If you have an object selected and are on a keyframe and hit DELETE it deletes the keyframe. If you have an object selected and there is no keyframe and hit DELETE then a prompt appears, "Remove object from scene? Yes/No"
And if you're so used to the app that you just hit return before reading the warning then you're screwed.

Hm...

Cheers,
Mike

Dexter2999
02-14-2010, 02:57 PM
And if you're so used to the app that you just hit return before reading the warning then you're screwed.

Hm...

Cheers,
Mike
Well you could always set the default on the prompt to NO. So hitting return does nothing. But then users would kvetch because they had to make it a two step process...and that is so much work.

Lightwolf
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Well you could always set the default on the prompt to NO. So hitting return does nothing. But then users would kvetch because they had to make it a two step process...and that is so much work.
Well, apparently less work than memorizing two keyboard shortcuts for two different actions ;)
... or reading a manual for that matter. Which makes me wonder if LW is just too cheap nowadays... :D

Cheers,
Mike

toby
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
O well..

No I mean really destroys it; erases it from the hard drive. Removing a reference is a bit different from deleting.

prometheus
02-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, apparently less work than memorizing two keyboard shortcuts for two different actions ;)
... or reading a manual for that matter. Which makes me wonder if LW is just too cheap nowadays... :D

Cheers,
Mike

Of course reading the manual is always a good thing, if youre able to use a program and getting started as fast as you can in a program without having to read trough the manual first, is even better thou.

Itīs interesting to think about the UI and wich shortcut keys
is most suitable for a certain tasks and how those relates to each
personal thoughts on what is best.

thereīs to many tools and actions that dont fit in with a standard keyboard and its alphabetical limits, itīs like the curve, cut,copy commands of course starts with a c and it might be good to try and match the initial letter, but it wouldnt work that way.

Ivé remapped the d letter to drop selection instead of display since I
use that more, and it corresponds to the initial letter so it comes very natural to use that, the display key is mapped to one of the rarely used F tangents.

Michael