PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Means Business

Soth
02-09-2010, 03:18 AM
I heard that parts of the CORE code will be released as Open Source?

Gerry Northam goes behind the scenes to investigate 'open source' computer software. Much has been said about the likes of free web browser Firefox and the operating system Linux, but little about how thousands of programmers scattered around the world collaborate in a 'virtual anthill' to create products that rival more commercial offerings. Gerry finds out how it is done and shows how its ethos is being applied to other kinds of business, with some startling results.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kp806/Inside_the_Virtual_Anthill_Open_Source_Means_Busin ess/

Anyway, vey intresting program. From mining via Firefox, Linux and Wikipedia to theories of evolution of human societies… and ants.

Karmacop
02-09-2010, 03:44 AM
It's not "open source", but the SDK is very open, and many of the libraries used to create Core are open (Qt, bullet).

Soth
02-09-2010, 05:46 AM
I am quite sure that I have heard some of the code will be open source.

cresshead
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I am quite sure that I have heard some of the code will be open source.

things relating to the bullet dynamics ARE open source as newtek and maxon have both used them...same as blender has.

Philbert
02-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Yes you may have heard about Qt and Bullet which are open source and parts of CORE plus the wide open SDK, so yes some parts of it are open source, but those are parts that are already available not stuff that NT is writing.

Soth
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Still unconvinced,
I might be wrong but guys, I KNOW what I am writing.

cresshead
02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
to be clear, newtek CORE is not open source

:D

aurora
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Dido whats said, Core has Open Source components, Qt, Bullet, and the ability to add other OS components such as Havok, ect to it but thats the end of the OS side of Core.

biliousfrog
02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I would imagine that the people that paid to be part of the beta would be pretty pissed off if it was open source

warmiak
02-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I am pretty sure Newtek is using a commercial version of Qt library.

Titus
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I am pretty sure Newtek is using a commercial version of Qt library.

Yep, very likely:

http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing/licensing#qt-commercial-license

The other two options (LGPL and GPL 3) don't fit in the NT business model.

Soth
02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
As far as I remember it was something like that: SDK examples will be provided as open source.

Can anyone confirm that?

Titus
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
As far as I remember it was something like that: SDK examples will be provided as open source.

Can anyone confirm that?

I don't get it. All LW SDK examples comes as source code, open for everybody to see, use and modify.

Soth
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
What I understood is they will be little bit more advanced and one can use them when developing commercial software... yyy, plug-ins. :)

hrgiger
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
SDK is open, meaning all functions available for use by third parties. This is not the same as open source which would make the source code available for all to see which is not the case with CORE.

jin choung
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Still unconvinced,
I might be wrong but guys, I KNOW what I am writing.

if you might be wrong, you DON'T know what you're writing....

the only person here who thinks that core will contribute any of its development code to open source is you. so it's your burden to prove.

if you thought you heard something along those lines, you probably misunderstood.

if you KNOW you heard something like that, prove it. (or hel1, just ask newtek... you'll probably get a very fast and resounding "no")

jin

p.s. "open source" means something very specific. and is DIFFERENT from an "open and accessible architecture" which is probably what you heard.

aurora
02-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Yep, very likely:

http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing/licensing#qt-commercial-license

The other two options (LGPL and GPL 3) don't fit in the NT business model.

Yes its true NT is using the commercial version of Qt. The sdk has/will have wrappers around the Qt code needed for plugin gui's which 'should' allow TP's to develop commercial plugins without needing the commercial license of Qt. BUT one should be real careful in reading Qt license agreements when developing commercial code.

If the code is freeware then you can use the Core SDK and/or the non-commercial versions of Qt, QtCreator (which is actually a really nice IDE!) with no concerns.

As to the other SDK question(s), all SDK examples are open source else you simply would not have access to them. Its kinda like part of the definitions of each other.

Soth
02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
p.s. "open source" means something very specific. and is DIFFERENT from an "open and accessible architecture" which is probably what you heard.
LOL You made my day. Even my wife does not think I am that stupid. I hope. :devil:

As to the other SDK question(s), all SDK examples are open source else you simply would not have access to them. Its kinda like part of the definitions of each other.

I found the thread, it's on HC forums. Thread started with post by NewTek employee saying that sdk_common is Open Source. After short discussion between Chuck, Newbie3d and few forum users Jay said that SDK s NewTek property, one can develop products for CORE but not for other products, so it is not Open Source. Some people complained, but looks like no one really cares, I guess it is not big deal anyway.

...looks like EOT ;)

aurora
02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
SDK stands for Software Development Kit which kinda sounds like something like a language itself. But its not really. What an SDK is, is a bunch of special 'wrapped' code functions which allow you to communicate to the actually code basis. In other words its a way to work with something without actually touching it at all. Think something like mouse (sorry I'm having problems thinking today, OK worse then normal) when you move your mouse its an abstraction for moving a variable say x. When you move the mouse to the right x increases in value, when you move left x decreases. So you are using the mouse to change x without actually doing the programming for it.

An SDK is the same way. Core's actual code core has a function that say when x increses move the cursor so many pixels in say a Qt panel. This is all done in some function foo(). Now what happens with an SDK is foo() gets wrapped inside a special function say sdkFoo(). sdkFoo() allows a user to do what we want with how x behaves and then sends the results of x back to foo() to do its thing. In this was we get control of x and get Core to dela with it without actually touching the base code.

So what does this mean in the end. When a coder writes a plugin he writes something built off of the SDK which sends all its info back to the actual Core base code without actually writing anything directly in the base code. A plugin that creates a bevel tool is with the SDK to tell Core's base code how to bevel polys. An example SDK code is one where the actual code for the bevel tool is shared for people to see and understand how to use the SDK to create similar classes of plugins.

[NOTE: I'm writing this for anybody that's not a coder and does not understand what an SDK is and am NOT slamming this in Soth's face]

Soth
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
NOTE: I'm writing this for anybody that's not a coder and does not understand what an SDK is and am NOT slamming this in Soth's face]

Like everyone else? If this thread will continue that way I might have to find confidence building course in my area in order to rebuild my self esteem. :D

aurora
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I would not stress over this at all. I design and build super-clusters, manage cluster challenge teams and write c++/Fortran code for astrophysical sims and fluid dynamics working on many of the Teragrid machines daily. However for one of my classes last week I could not, for anything in the world get my Ubuntu machine to access NCAR's Frost cluster when people that had never logged onto a super computer before got setup and on in less then 5 minutes. Making it worse I have worked with Larry and others at NCAR on the WRF weather/climatology code and everyone in the class new all that. Now that was an embarrassing session for me.

[EDIT] BTW, I still can't get my Ubuntu machine to log on I have to get on via Windoze of all machines, says he whos head is stuck 6 feet under ground in true Ostrich style in embarrassment.