PDA

View Full Version : sonofa... so modeler/layout split in AE/ps! haha

jin choung
02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-cs4-production-premium/using-3d-object-layers-from-photoshop/

so it seems like there are a lot of undesirable similarities in the workflow between lw and AE/PS....

not too bad but still not as nice as something like nuke or fusion when it comes to 3d objects....

jin

cresshead
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
maybe adobe will buy lightwave...seems close to how they like to work!

biliousfrog
02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
That's pretty cool, I didn't realise that. It seems that people have also imported other 3d objects into AE via Photoshop.

I'd be very surprised if direct import of 3d objects isn't available in CS5, AE is extremely popular now. CS5 is also going to be 64bit only...which is great...but Apple seriously need to pull their finger out and get quicktime sorted otherwise I can see QT falling from favour very fast.

jin choung
02-09-2010, 02:09 AM
That's pretty cool, I didn't realise that. It seems that people have also imported other 3d objects into AE via Photoshop.

I'd be very surprised if direct import of 3d objects isn't available in CS5, AE is extremely popular now. CS5 is also going to be 64bit only...which is great...but Apple seriously need to pull their finger out and get quicktime sorted otherwise I can see QT falling from favour very fast.

evidently, adobe got the qt 64bit thing sorted. otherwise you're right, going 64bit only would've been a death sentence for SOMEBODY...

but yeah, the kinds of crazy a$s fx you can do with meshes IN AE is pretty amazing - http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/glass_orbs/

very different than doing this kind of thing in a 3d app... it's clumsy in some ways but very gratifyingly immediate in other ways, namely visual feedback!

jin

akademus
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
mmm... very nice indeed.

i'd like to see how this would work with Rendition!?

Or maybe making a Rendition for AE!?

Newteeeeeeek....

jin choung
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
actually, imo, rendering is the last of AE's problems. the fact that you can so closely approximate what you're going to get in final render in the viewport makes AE a very unusual and attractive workspace.

if anything, the thing that core and other 3d apps should think of adding is the ability to save out .PSDs for model files so that you wouldn't need to import them into photoshop first to bring them into AE.

in terms of clumsiness, the biggest detractor is just working with things like graph editor and manipulation in 3d space but even there, there are some nice refinements like hovering the cursor over a manipulation axis makes the cursor display what axis you're on which allows you to reliably "grab" the axis parallel to camera axis and move and rotate even in orthographic views.

jin

borkus
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
This thread made my head hurt... Which I guess is a good thing. Lots of stuff to absorb.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Speaking of "splits"...OK, OK completely OT:

If you guys have not seen Altered States with William Hurt, put it on your Netflix que. Some really interesting ideas and great effects for 1980. Probably took some concepts too far, but that is part of the fun.