PDA

View Full Version : Transform->Size multiple objects make some smaller, some larger at same time?

3dWannabe
02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I've got a model that was converted from 3ds to Lightwave.

I need to scale it down so I can animate it in Jimmy RIG.

I just noticed that when I select all objects in the scene (composed of many LW objects), and use the tranform->Size menu, some objects get smaller when I drag the mouse, and some get larger.

How can I resolve this?

faulknermano
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
It may be possible that some of the objects in Layout already have a negative scale applied to them, causing the scale tool to scale at the opposite direction on those of negative scale.

3dWannabe
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Yessss!

I notice that some objects have a -1.000 scale. So, this would cause my sizing to act in reverse on them?

I also noticed that some objects scale at different rates, and don't grow to the same size as others

One had a scale of of .953 x, 1.015 y 1.015 z for example.

How can I take the scene, composed of many different Lightwave object files, and tell it that 'you are the perfect proportion, set everything to 1.00' so that when I scale the entire model, it will all scale together?

Thanks for noticing that! I was going crazy looking in the properties to find out what was different.

toby
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
In 9.6 you can now use the fields at the lower left to set all selected objects to 1.0 scale.

faulknermano
02-08-2010, 11:08 PM
In 9.6 you can now use the fields at the lower left to set all selected objects to 1.0 scale.

Hey, I didn't know that. Thanks! :)

3dWannabe
02-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Toby - that's useful to know, but in my case it messed things up just like if I tried to select all and resize. I selected all and set the values all to 1.0.

As some of my objects have a negative size, some started out with different sizes, that method just doesn't seem to work.

I did find that if I parent all the objects to a null, that I can resize the null - and everything works.

This is great except for one thing ...

The model is a dancer composed of the body, eys, teeth, dress, etc.

I need to be able to resize the body from 500 meters and send it to Jimmy RIG in a size it will like. From Jimmy RIG, I'll get a scene with the motion caputure applied to my re-sized model.

I ?think? I need to be able to resize the entire model (body, teeth, etc.) down so that the body object is the correct size, and will match the output of Jimmy RIG's output scene.

Am I making sense?

toby
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe you could "Save Transformed" then scale/flip them in Modeler? There's also a plugin somewhere that will save a scene into a model, I don't know much about it, maybe someone here can help us out -

3dWannabe
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Toby - I looked in the manual, and I'm still a bit confused about what 'save trans' does?

Are you suggesting to set every object to 1.0 for 3 values in lower left, and then 'save trans' - which might save the changes to each object - and then scale and flip them in modeler?

Wouldn't that end up giving them different sizes again, making it difficult to resize them as a whole?

BTW - I believe this is the scrip you mentioned, to export all objects from layout to modeler (suggested by nickdigital):
------------
scene2modeler
http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm

toby
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Toby - I looked in the manual, and I'm still a bit confused about what 'save trans' does?

Are you suggesting to set every object to 1.0 for 3 values in lower left, and then 'save trans' - which might save the changes to each object - and then scale and flip them in modeler?

Wouldn't that end up giving them different sizes again, making it difficult to resize them as a whole?

BTW - I believe this is the scrip you mentioned, to export all objects from layout to modeler (suggested by nickdigital):
------------
scene2modeler
http://www.svenart.de/lscripts.htm
Yes that's one of them, I'm pretty sure there's more than one. Save Transformed will save a model in it's current state in Layout. You'd have to save them one at a time then merge them into one, scene2modeler would be a shortcut to this. So whatever state you like the model in Layout, do either one and then you can easily scale it all proportionally.

geo_n
02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
In modeller when you load all the files do they line up correctly. It would be much easier to cut and past all parts of different files into one lwo file then scale them there. Since I know you'll be using it in Jimmyrig you only need the lwo file. :)
http://www.origamidigital.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=179

3dWannabe
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
In modeller when you load all the files do they line up correctly. It would be much easier to cut and past all parts of different files into one lwo file then scale them there. Since I know you'll be using it in Jimmyrig you only need the lwo file. :)
http://www.origamidigital.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=179
I used the scene2modeler plug-in on my scene where I'd parented everything to a null.

And - it worked! I've got all the objects on different layers of a single object.

When I send the object to Layout, I can resize it without problems.

I think a surface got messed up, as the skin looks rather bad, but I'm definitely ahead of the game.

I just wish it would have named the layers according to the object names.

But, I'm 99% of the way there. Thanks!