PDA

View Full Version : Tree Animation

circleofsmoke
02-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Can anybody suggest strategies for animating trees with separate branch movement - would I have to use bones to rig all the branches up like a skeleton/figure? or would weight maps and physics be better?

Thanks

John

Iain
02-05-2010, 06:10 AM
It all depends on your trees.
Are they just polygonal or do they have boxes with leaf textures applied etc?

There are a few easy ways of doing this from applying animated procedural textures in the bump channel to using film footage to old tricks like this.....

http://www.rustboy.com/rustweb.htm

(Making of>Section 5)

circleofsmoke
02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
that looks pretty effective - This is to generate foreground comps and environments for a live action piece - not yet sure how "real" this needs to look

SplineGod
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I wouldnt use bones except on trees that might be close to the camera. I would probably look at using animated procedural textures as displacement maps or to drive an endomorph. It also boils down to how subtle the branch movement needs to be.

circleofsmoke
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestion - I think I'll buy tree designer rather than Onyx as it seems to generate weightmaps as part of the modelling process and seems a lot friendlier to light wave than Onyx

sculptactive
02-08-2010, 10:57 PM
You could use the plugin Fertilizer which is very good or SmartMorph to grow the trunk and branches.