PDA

View Full Version : The waiting is over... And it was worth it!

kevman3d
09-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Yes, after months of waiting, it arrived this week - EXPOSE 1 - Collectors edition "288 of 999", and it came complete with that 'new' smell of the soft leather cover and nice heavy 'solid' feel.

And yes, it was worth the wait - Very nice, lots of very inspirational work in here! :) No excuses now for being uncreative!

If you haven't ordered a copy, I would say its worth getting one if you're excited by computer generated artwork. Nice images, lots of cool CG and some really excellent 2D art too!

Theres an index at the back of all the artists, including plenty of web addresses to go and explore!

Nice work Ballistic! Look forward to more books!

Kev.

js33
09-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm still not sure of the motivation behind that book. To me it looks like CGtalk was setup just to get everyone to post their work so they could compile them into a book and make money off people. Do the artists in the book get compensated or just the thrill of having their work in a book?

P.S. You have alot of the same books I do. :D

Cheers,
JS

Titus
09-05-2003, 11:04 PM
No, the artists featured aren't compensated with money, actually they need to pay like everybody if they want a copy of the book.

I'm reviewing the book in deathfall (to appear tomorrow). I think it's valid to question if you want to participate in this kind of collective endeavour because I've done a lot of free work before, first I don't think my answer could be positive but now I'm not sure.

The digital work presented is one of the best I ever seen or had on my hands. beleive me, is not the same to see an image in your monitor than see it on a book and if you're one of the chosen the you are compensated (among other things) with fame.

js33
09-05-2003, 11:10 PM
I guess it's good exposure but it still seems to me like those people are being taken advantage of so other people can make money off them.

Cheers,
JS

Titus
09-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I understand your point and you as an artist need to make a hard decision.

The logic behind the editor is, the royalty for an author is 10% (I don't remember the number), divided by 250 artists you got nothing.

Lets do some math, 10% fee divided by 250 artists, then you got 0.04% each. Supose the book collects $1,000,000 (this number comes from my mind), every artist get $286 dollars.

js33
09-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Where did you get the 10% figure from? That's just my point. All the people that made the book possible get nothing and the people that did nothing but put the book together get 90%? Something just isn't right with that deal.

Cheers,
JS

Titus
09-06-2003, 12:04 AM
The numbers:

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/faq.html

riki
09-06-2003, 01:32 AM
There's no point talking about money after the fact. No one was forced to contribute and anyone who did was obviously okay with the terms and conditions. I think most people where glad if they made it and grateful for the exposure.

The work is excellent. Though I think there is some week stuff in there and the image print quality varies from one work to the next. Obviously the colour of some work isn't as vibrant as I remember from the onscreen versions. The PDF's looked better.

Also I wasn't so keen on the paper they used in the softcover version. Not sure if it's the same in other versions??

Matt
09-06-2003, 06:41 AM
I got mine the other day, and to be honest it wasn't as good as I hoping it would be.

I thought it was all 3D art, there was too much 2D for my liking, although some of it was pretty good, there was some stuff I was thinking, why is that in here???

It does say they were short for entires in certain sections so maybe that has something to do with the quality of the entries.

I just found myself thinking the really good stuff was amazing, and the rest just good. It should be the best of the best.

The other thing that was a let down was the sectioning, there was clearly 2D stuff in the 3D stuff, it even says done in Photosop but yet it was still in the 3D section!!!

The section titles weren't very clear either, I found myself leaving one section and moving into another without even knowing it!!!

I don't want to appear like I didn't like it, I did, but the Expose website really talked the quality up to something I don't think they quite achieved.

Still it's the first one, the second one will be better.

Matt

Titus
09-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I think the architectural section is not relevant in the book, there are many books of architectural visualization, and I don't find it really an art.

cresshead
09-06-2003, 04:58 PM
i think the architectuals section is actually the most relevent part of the book regarding art...seeing as this area is one of the few that can make the leap into the realworld based off the visualisation in cgi...there are many buildings that are considered "works of art", being modern or dating back to the romans..well we all have our views on this eh??!!!

steve g

pauland
09-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I got mine the other day, and to be honest it wasn't as good as I hoping it would be.
I'm really wondering what you were expecting!

I thought it was all 3D art
I don't think they ever said it was just 3D.

the Expose website really talked the quality up to something I don't think they quite achieved.
I'd just like to say that your opinion isn't universal. I think they did a great job and did achieve a high quality level. I'm more than happy with the book.

Paul

kevman3d
09-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Oops! What did I start here, a flaming thread? :(

I agree on a lot of points said in here - there are some areas that could be 'better' - Yes, the sectioning wasn't obvious (and I flipped through the book 2 times before I saw the section titles!), and the blacks weren't as 'black' as I would have liked (so not as 'crisp' as the PDF's on their website)

But in general, its a nice book, and worthy of the bookshelf.

Sure, its not all 3D, but it was never supposed to be - and some things have slipped into sections that don't look like they should be there - And obviously, whats 'good' and what's 'weak' work is probably a personal taste thing...

Overall, its a good piece for artistic inspiration - I don't do enough 'art' personally, and that's a downfall on my personal CG growth and improvement - This weekend I've been working on some forest environments in LW, inspired by looking at some of the beautiful 2D and 3D visualisations in the book and thinking 'That's fantastic, why am I not doing stuff like this myself!'

Just that one small 'kick in the pants' is enough reason for me to say this book rocks! :)

Plus I prefer to look at it on paper then scour the CGTalk forums and wait for large images to download with my crusty old modem! :)

Matt
09-07-2003, 10:05 AM
don't get me wrong I did like it, just wasn't quite what I expected that's all! :)

Earl
09-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Matt

I thought it was all 3D art, there was too much 2D for my liking, although some of it was pretty good, there was some stuff I was thinking, why is that in here???

It does say they were short for entires in certain sections so maybe that has something to do with the quality of the entries.

I just found myself thinking the really good stuff was amazing, and the rest just good. It should be the best of the best.

The other thing that was a let down was the sectioning, there was clearly 2D stuff in the 3D stuff, it even says done in Photosop but yet it was still in the 3D section!!!

The section titles weren't very clear either, I found myself leaving one section and moving into another without even knowing it!!!

I don't want to appear like I didn't like it, I did, but the Expose website really talked the quality up to something I don't think they quite achieved.

Still it's the first one, the second one will be better.

Matt

That's sorta how I feel. I'm glad I bought the book (and ordered a special edition as a gift for my sister), but I think the sectioning and the range of quality could have been improved. However, as mentioned by others, the really good pieces of art were exceptionally good - and well worth it. Being a first edition, I imagine it was very tough getting enough exceptional entries to be a 'best of the best' type of book. For that reason, I'm not dissatisfied at all - I just wasn't blown away by it. I really do appreciate their effort and their goals. It's really easy to criticize them, but to do what they've done is still a commendable task.

I didn't mind the 2D stuff - but I do think there should be a fairly even split of 2D material and 3D material. I also hope that the next edition (assuming they make an EXPOSÉ 2) they give the really great pieces more page space, and allow the less impressive pieces to assume the role of the quarter-paged images. There were some pieces in there that I would have killed to see full page. :D

riki
09-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Ah that's a good point, there where some key images that I felt where too small.

I really liked the 2d stuff though, bengal's work etc.

anieves
09-07-2003, 05:05 PM
what I find unethical is having chosen works from some of the judges:confused:

They way it should be is If you are a judge then you can not submit any entries; granted it is not a competition BUT seems unethical nontheless.

am I the only one that feels that way?

Anthony
09-07-2003, 10:40 PM
I have 2 paintings in that book. I didn't really think they were good enough to get in, but they happened to be stuff that wasn't going to be sold or for a client anyway, so I submitted them. No loss, I get a discount on a book I'd have bought anyway. :)