PDA

View Full Version : Will this machine make LW happy?

shrox
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
The company is buying a computer for me to use so I can take mine home. This is what our IT guy suggested:

Intel Core I7-870 Proc, 2.93
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz - 4DIMMs
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 P118N
1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

ranhell
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
sounds nice 8 cores 16 gigs its a start....

JonW
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Someone here http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=978322 is using an 870 & got 3:06 for the smoke & 33.1 for robot scene @2.93 Ghz (post 24). If you compare it with other CPUs there is nothing wrong with an 870.

The 240 is adequate. See if you can stretch the budget for a GTX260. No harm is asking.

realgray
02-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Silly question but have to ask. How do you guys measure a graphics card for 3d use? Thinking of switching from a mac to a pc to get more bang for the buck. Any good resources or tips on how to learn to put together a pc? I spend so much time learning software thought it's about time to learn more about hardware. Especially when I priced out the cost of a new Macpro = 8,000+. Whew!

JonW
02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Look at Techreport, Anandtech, bitech & compare cards. A GTX285 seems to be the go, a GTX260 is a good price/performance option.

What I feel is my Intel SSD is really great for loading & saving files. When I’m in Modeler, having good components at every level just makes the whole box feel quick. & that was coming from an E5450 with GTX285 & Velociraptor.

You will get a much higher frame rate per dollar per whole box set up with a PC. I have always been a Mac user, but when it comes to rendering, sadly Mac doesn’t do any boxes with are ideal for render nodes.

My Mac Mini was about the same price as as a 920 with 12gb ram. My W5580 (3.2 Ghz)was 2/3 the price of the top of the range Mac (2.93 Ghz), & I could have it built exactly with the parts I wanted.

You can still do all your work on a Mac & then render on a PC. Then in the PC box all you really need is CPU, enough ram (say 6, 8 or 12 gb), you only need a small cheap HD, & cheap graphics card (very cheap, or on board graphics) (once the computer is set up & if you use it via remote desktop, its best to take the graphics cards out, they are not needed & only eat electricity, if there is a problem with the box you just pop back the card)

shrox
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh well, gotta go back and trim some costs...looks like the second 24" monitor is gone... and half the RAM. Probably have to stay with the same type of video card I have now.

JonW
02-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Shrox if they want you to be more productive. Buying a cheap computer is not the way to go. Itís false economy.

The cost of software, installing, licences attached to computers. Itís much more economical to get the best computer money can buy. Hence my W5580 with SSD, Velociraptor, 24 gb ram. It is so quick itís dangerous!

The other day I was doing a large render with lots of transparency & reflections, being able to put 3 fast boxes onto it, I cut a hugh render time down to 2 hours. I just could not imagine running off one 920 or 870. I would be waiting forever for a render.

Cheap computer = expensive productivity!

shrox
02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Shrox if they want you to be more productive. Buying a cheap computer is not the way to go. Itís false economy.

The cost of software, installing, licences attached to computers. Itís much more economical to get the best computer money can buy. Hence my W5580 with SSD, Velociraptor, 24 gb ram. It is so quick itís dangerous!

The other day I was doing a large render with lots of transparency & reflections, being able to put 3 fast boxes onto it, I cut a hugh render time down to 2 hours. I just could not imagine running off one 920 or 870. I would be waiting forever for a render.

Cheap computer = expensive productivity!

I've explained that, but I don't write the checks.

JonW
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
They are obviously tight arses if they are using your computer.

All I can say is that while you are there, plagiarise, build up your skills on how & also obviously how not to run a business! & while you have a job, get your arse into gear & go for other jobs, if you get an offer you can always refuse & say I was expecting more with my skill set. Itís easier to get a job while you have a job.

shrox
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
They are obviously tight arses if they are using your computer.

All I can say is that while you are there, plagiarise, build up your skills on how & also obviously how not to run a business! & while you have a job, get your arse into gear & go for other jobs, if you get an offer you can always refuse & say I was expecting more with my skill set. Itís easier to get a job while you have a job.

I am not doing much animation right now, I am designing model rockets. Eventually we will, I guess it will be addressed then.

I was just wondering if there was any obvious bottleneck in the set up I originally posted that I wasn't aware of.

MooseDog
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM
8g ram? i'm assuming your installing a 64-bit o.s.?

that's not at all an embarrassing rig, maybe do some research on cpu overclocking and any cooling needs that this creates.

is this a d.i.y. box or retail? for workstations, assemble it yourself gets you alot more parts for the same $$$.

JonW
02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
No.

There is nothing wrong with my 5335 with a 8600 graphics card! But I would only use it as a 6th line of defence if all else breaks down. Even then I would just go & buy a new box, it’s just not worth the stress.

The computer you suggested is fine. But the issue is, the reasoning & attitude in attaining a computer that is cheaper to build than the cheapest Mac Mini on the market.

It’s quite telling that the accountants are running the show. They would rather put another bandaid on a 386 than spend anything on new capital equipment. (we had a tight arse year ago. A vacuum cleaner kept breaking down, it had to be fixed. This happened about 4 times a year, year in year out. And even then it never really worked. It was the world’s most expensive vacuum, because the accountant refused to buy anything new)

The accountants don’t want to understand that when you are waiting 8 hours for a render to finish it is actually costing them $100s of dollars. All the test renders & mucking around over a year would be worth at the absolute minimum $5k.

The same thing applies to my 30” monitor, I am more productive with it, I am not wasting time zooming in & out, hiding windows, & buggerising around on a pocky little screen. If I need a bit extra real estate I hook up the 24” as well.

& when a client comes in & sees your 30” screen, they are blown away & really think you are professional, mean business, & not just a bunch of has been amateurs.

The accountant is probably syphoning off deals for himself, maybe if you get a really expensive computer the supplier will chuck in a freebee so that the accountant can get one for himself. (I seen this situation happen too many times, it’s not funny, but it maybe another way of getting a really good computer for the real work)

shrox
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
No.

There is nothing wrong with my 5335 with a 8600 graphics card! But I would only use it as a 6th line of defence if all else breaks down. Even then I would just go & buy a new box, itís just not worth the stress.

The computer you suggested is fine. But the issue is, the reasoning & attitude in attaining a computer that is cheaper to build than the cheapest Mac Mini on the market.

Itís quite telling that the accountants are running the show. They would rather put another bandaid on a 386 than spend anything on new capital equipment. (we had a tight arse year ago. A vacuum cleaner kept breaking down, it had to be fixed. This happened about 4 times a year, year in year out. And even then it never really worked. It was the worldís most expensive vacuum, because the accountant refused to buy anything new)

The accountants donít want to understand that when you are waiting 8 hours for a render to finish it is actually costing them $100s of dollars. All the test renders & mucking around over a year would be worth at the absolute minimum $5k.

The same thing applies to my 30Ē monitor, I am more productive with it, I am not wasting time zooming in & out, hiding windows, & buggerising around on a pocky little screen. If I need a bit extra real estate I hook up the 24Ē as well.

& when a client comes in & sees your 30Ē screen, they are blown away & really think you are professional, mean business, & not just a bunch of has been amateurs.

The accountant is probably syphoning off deals for himself, maybe if you get a really expensive computer the supplier will chuck in a freebee so that the accountant can get one for himself. (I seen this situation happen too many times, itís not funny, but it maybe another way of getting a really good computer for the real work)

It's not like that, it's a tiny company (even though it's the second largest model rocket company in the world), I've know the owner for 10 years, and this 3D thing is still pretty new in model rocketry. Other companies still draw on paper and have to build actual models and take photographs to get nice still images. I can just render...

JonW
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
A 30” monitor in vertical orientation is the perfect tool for designing rockets!

2560 pixels high!

If they are big rockets ....... get 2..... 5120 pixels!

colkai
02-05-2010, 01:42 AM
sounds nice 8 cores 16 gigs its a start....

A start? a START?

(glares at his ickle 1.5Ghz laptop :p )

digefxgrp
02-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Just curious. You workin' for Quest? I carried that brand (as well as Estes and Custom) back when I had my hobby shop.

prometheus
02-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Shrox!

Im curious how much are you involved in the design process of rockets? if you can tell?

and Im also wondering if you just use lightwave for that process and no other more engineering tools like solidworks?

I myself are about to upgrade from my 32 bit system with nvidia quadro 1100, to this..it will probably take me a month before I can afford that thou.

Chassi: Antec Three HUNDRED
Power Supply: ModXStream Pro 700W
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - ATX - iX58 - S-1366 - S-ATA-300
Processor: Intel Core i7 3.06 GHz
RAM: 6x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 (Totalt 12GB) 7-7-7-20
Grafikkort: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E x16 1GB GDDR3
Harddrive nr 1: 300GB SATA 10 000RPM 16MB "System/programdisk"
Harddrive nr 2: 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB "Lagringsdisk"
DVD: Samsung DVD-burner SATA 22x, black
cardreader: All in One intern 3,5", black

At my work Im just doing illustrations and helping out with 3d renderings of
gym machines right now and some slight modelimprovements...so we go solidworks-stl, and werť evaluating deep exploration to lightwave.

But we are thinking of testing rhino and maxwell, the biggest issues right
now is the amount of poly when converting..please newtek, it would help
having nurbs solids to render directly without the converting mess and huge polyamount..something for core,lwcad perhaps?

Im gonna ask for a new faster comp at work, but it wonīt be 1/5 the price
of that machine Im getting for myself, but that one is built up to cover many other software too, like vue, zbrush and some heavy particle and fluid works later on.

Itīs gonna sting..but I never drink bear..and I only have 7 pairs of underwear:)

Michael
http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:michael+ivarsson/sort:newest/format:thumbnail

mattclary
02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
The company is buying a computer for me to use so I can take mine home. This is what our IT guy suggested:

Well, that kind of sucks, but LightWave should at least launch...

shrox
02-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Just curious. You workin' for Quest? I carried that brand (as well as Estes and Custom) back when I had my hobby shop.

Yes, I am working a Quest as a designer. Did you see our new catalog?

Andrewstopheles
02-07-2010, 06:00 PM
The i5 processors are more bang for buck, and might save you enough coin to get a Geforce 260 or 275 instead.
The i7 are the superior processor but I'd sacrifice a little render power for more GPU in this case. The 240 is a little weak IMO.
At least they are buying you a PC. Last place I worked it took 2 1/2 years to get them to buy me a PC, even after I brought in a handful of new contracts myself they wouldn't do it. Finally, one of our clients suddenly wanted his project turned around in half the time so I told them it'll cost an extra $XXXX. They agreed and I used the money to buy the new PC. And got the project done on time. Win/Win.

digefxgrp
02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes, I am working a Quest as a designer. Did you see our new catalog? No. I closed the shop down in '07 and haven't had any interest what-so-ever in hobby products, other than an occasional peek at what's going on with plastic model kits.

Rockets were a pretty good seller for me. I always had a number of schools coming in for class projects and for some reason November was a big "rocket" month, which was weird as it usually rains a lot here that time of year.

prometheus
02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Im wondering about the difference between using a 7200RPM drive for
system and programs, vs a 10000RPM drive.

Anyone experienced the difference?

Michael

JonW
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
My last couple of work stations have Velociraptors & the older ones have 7200rpm drives. I can’t give you an exact comparison. But the 10k drives do feel faster. They are also enterprise drives so they should in theory be even more reliable.

The Intel SSD in my last computer is even quicker & I have 10k drives as well because the SSD at 80gb is too small.

Any new workstation I get now will have an SSD for the main drive plus some Velociraptors. Until the cost per gb comes down on the SSDs.

I did a bit of stuff on my slow E5450 V8 with 16gb ram & Velociraptors. It did feel slow against the W5580 with SSD.

zapper1998
02-08-2010, 05:54 AM

That should work pretty good
maybe down the road a little have them upgrade the cpu and video card

Michael

mattclary
02-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Im wondering about the difference between using a 7200RPM drive for
system and programs, vs a 10000RPM drive.

Anyone experienced the difference?

Michael

Screw that, get a solid state drive for the OS, keep storage and HDD.

mattclary
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Any new workstation I get now will have an SSD for the main drive

Exactly.

shrox
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, it arrives at the end of the month. Oh joy...

JonW
02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Luckily February only has 28 days.