PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #73 Water..Water

Kuzey
02-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #72 Water..Water
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

This week's topic: Water..Water

Water...water..everywhere. Anything water related...

Natural events: waves...whirlpools..hurricanes etc.

Water transport and storage machines/vehicles etc.

Pleasure craft: rubber dinghy's...canoes..rafts..jet skis..yachts..speed boats etc.

Water toys: slip and slide...water pistols...water rockets...water slides/rides etc.

Water containers: industry water tanks...bottles...watering cans etc.

Marine/fresh water creatures: sharks...squids...fish...anything big and small.

Time Limit - 90 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 10th of Feb. 2010 - 2200 hrs GMT (with an optional one week extension upon request...which would make the new deadline - Wednesday 17th of Feb. 2010 - 2200 hrs GMT)

Nangleator
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Woo hoo! It's like I won a challenge!

Broad subject. I have a couple ideas already, and they'll make decent timelapse videos, I think.

Kuzey
02-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Haha....cool. I look forward to seeing them :thumbsup:

btw...I forgot some topics like the beach and deep sea diving etc...anything and everything to do with water :hey:

Ooooh.....deep sea diving.....that gives me an idea :D

Kuzey

R.Feeney
02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Looking back on my previous speed models and there is a surprising number that are related to water in one way or another.
I`ll have to have a think on this one

JR_LW
02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
This is my first try on Speed modeling Challenge.
All done LW 9.6; iMac 2.93 10.6 4GB

R.Feeney
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the challenges JR_LW

novawave
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow Mr.Kuzey, very nice Choice,. :thumbsup:, (i even start think about hot mermaid LOL)

but here's my entry,.
its underwater Mecha from PATLABOR the one that became a bait for the monster WXIII :), ASATSUKI(US DVD version : Nautilus) underwater labor,
done about 90% ,.some detail still not attach because time limit, so here it is.. ASATSUKI

@JR: wow Dude,..that's neat,..nice work:thumbsup:

colkai
02-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Novawave, that is pretty darned cool! :) :)

Kuzey
02-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Yes indeed...welcome to the challenges JR_LW and I hope to see many more models....it's addictive stuff and the people are great :D

Novawave, that's super cool work :D

Kuzey

JeffrySG
02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Great topic! :)

Nice model novawave!! :D

Kuzey
02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I just noticed something, I forgot to change 72 to 73 in the first line...at least...I got the date right this time...hehe :hey:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
02-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Only about 15 min modeling but an effin` age trying to get the texturing looking right. Ignore the little green guy, just trying to give a sense of scale in it.

R.Feeney
02-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Damn, I just realised that I turned off something in that render, I will rerender it with the missing piece.

R.Feeney
02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
It just a minor change but I like the touch of rainbow in the falls

Kuzey
02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Richard...it's amazing what you can do with a hand full of polygons..haha :thumbsup:

Kuzey

colkai
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, Got my model done, took me around 90 minutes in the end once I'd finished pratting around with ideas. You don't actually see it as it's 100% transparent, but there is also water cascading over the top dish.

Now I just need to get to surfacing.
I'm sure there was something I saw on how to use normal maps from shaderMapPro to make it look like the ground was displaced, prolly spend hours now tracking that down. ;D

Edit: note to self - it does help to include the image :p

JR_LW
02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank you all for your support.
Added a little something to gun in front.
Lots of snow here in Pennsylvania, USA
(about 1 1/2 hours from Philadelphia)

oobievision
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Quick entry Old fashioned Hand water pump 45 min.

JeffrySG
02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Richard...it's amazing what you can do with a hand full of polygons..haha :thumbsup:

Kuzey

:agree:

COBRASoft
02-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Hey guys,

I finally found some little time again for the speed challenges. Superb subject by the way!

This is a modern water tap. The water that comes out is LED colored from blue to red according to the temperature of the water. I was about to buy these for my house, but too expensive :).

Modeling: less than 15 minutes (LWCAD)
Setup: less than 20 minutes
Rendering: about 4 minutes

When I find more time, I would like to try water coming out of the tap, but I have no idea how to do this 'easily'.

Greetings,
Sigurd

colkai
02-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey guys,

I finally found some little time again for the speed challenges. Superb subject by the way!

This is a modern water tap. The water that comes out is LED colored from blue to red according to the temperature of the water. I was about to buy these for my house, but too expensive :).
That's insane! :eek:

When I find more time, I would like to try water coming out of the tap, but I have no idea how to do this 'easily'.

Greetings,
Sigurd

The 'easy' way would be modelled geometry, displaced with a texture on it.
If you model a flat and morphed object, (or UV it) you can have the texture 'flow' correctly. :)

COBRASoft
02-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Colkai: yes, it is insane, but very handy for little children or when your wife just washed the dishes and you want to wash your hands. Red is dangerous :)

Iain
02-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Lovely model and render Sigurd :thumbsup:
I bet they're not cheap!

novawave
02-07-2010, 10:33 AM
great entry's and nice models everyone:thumbsup: , i just finished my asatsuki model texturing and rendering,.here it is:thumbsup:,

@R Feeney: wow mr.Richard thats cool!!!that waterfall are superbly realistic,.if you dont mind would you share us the trick :->?

R.Feeney
02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
great entry's and nice models everyone:thumbsup: , i just finished my asatsuki model texturing and rendering,.here it is:thumbsup:,

@R Feeney: wow mr.Richard thats cool!!!that waterfall are superbly realistic,.if you dont mind would you share us the trick :->?
That looks cool.

I started out with some particles and hypervoxels to build a rough look of what I wanted, rendered out that and then did a bit of paint over and combined some shots of water then mapped it on to a poly in the scene.
I have attached the final texture image which was also used for transparency.

colkai
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Great renders Novawave!

BlueApple
02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Everyone's work is looking great on this one.

Haven't done one of these in a while, so I'm a bit rusty. Modeling was well under the 90 minutes, texturing took a while though.

BlueApple
02-07-2010, 10:12 PM
And before the (justified) ridicule for the terrible d.o.f. on my image starts rolling in, let me say that it is masking really bad texturing on the leaves and will be corrected shortly :)

Nangleator
02-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Awesome, BlueApple! You stole my idea and did a great job with it!

novawave, that's a great model and cool render.

Kuzey
02-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Haha....this is going so great....I think it should be extended for another week :thumbsup:

Super cool work everyone.....that castaway cracks me up!

Kuzey

Nangleator
02-08-2010, 09:49 AM
25 minutes modeling. Kinda lame entry, but the render came out nice. I'll do something else later.

Time lapse video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdvE5tNkfdA)

Iain
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
That water looks ace Nangleator!

Nangleator
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks!

Here's crappier water.

35 minutes modeling.

colkai
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
All of a sudden, my fountain doesn't look so good. :( :p
Ahh well, 'tis rendering now anyway, though in my defense I will say, the 'stand in men' are only there for a sense of scale. Oh, that and I can't model characters to save my life. :D :D
Should be ready to put up in about 15 mins apparently, if layout is to be believed. ;)

colkai
02-08-2010, 01:45 PM
...and here we go.. :)

Nangleator
02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Hmm. You've got textures and water flow and an environment and a golem to enjoy your fountain!

BlueApple
02-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Here is the improved render, as promised.

Wittywop
02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Made a couple of water fountains. The modeling was rather easy. Tried to get the lighting and texture to look good.

Any suggestions on how to make the fountains actually look like they are on the wall?

JR_LW
02-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Maybe some putty/molding around where connects to wall. Try some smaller test renders (Antialiasing 1); also use different lights I like spot light, increase Ambient intensity.
Hope this helps.

Iain
02-09-2010, 02:44 AM
That's cool BlueApple. Nice to see you back!

Wittywop, I'd just put an Area light above or in front of that and turn on radiosity.

blindsided
02-09-2010, 03:06 AM
25 minutes modeling. Kinda lame entry, but the render came out nice. I'll do something else later.

Time lapse video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdvE5tNkfdA)

Hi Nang.
Can i ask u a quick q about ure timelapse?
What happens at 0.07, the model jumps from a box to a flat plane?
thanks

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Sure!

The first 10 seconds of the video are roughly this:

1. Use Points (+ key on the keypad) to draw out a cross section of the stream.
2. Hit "p" to create a poly from the new points.
3. Extend (Shift+e for me. Can't remember if that's default) that single poly out in the Z axis, and add segments with the right arrow key while the tool is still active.
4. Select all but the bottom polys and delete them. This leaves me with the stream bed.
5. Flip those polys so they face up.
6. Drag sections around with Magnet for some interesting shapes.

It makes for a very rough, low poly model, but subpatching and subdividing takes care of that.

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 06:32 AM
WittyWop, I'd download a free HDR image, apply it to Image World, turn any scene lights you have down to under 40% or so, turn on Monte Carlo radiosity with 3 bounces, and do a really low res F9. (75x50 maybe.)

You'll be either too dark or too light. Adjust the brightness of the image in Image world over and over until the thumbnail render looks about right.

That HDR backdrop will give you pretty lighting and reflections for your metal. Add about 5% Reflection Blur in the Environment tab of the Surface Editor, and you'll have a big improvement.

colkai
02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Hmm. You've got textures and water flow and an environment and a golem to enjoy your fountain!

Ahh yes, textures, can I talk about textures? :p
I spent forever trying to figure out a good way of UV'ing the inside of the pool, finally, after much sweat, I did so.
So anyway, can you even SEE the darned thing! DOH!

JeffrySG
02-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I didn't have a lot of time but wanted to jump in on this one....

Water drops in the sky. I really love everyone's entries! Great topic!

(5min modeling - 30min or so setting up the scene)

JeffrySG
02-09-2010, 07:04 AM

That render came out great! :thumbsup:

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah, dude, you could sell that to a stock photo company. Just make some other iconic images with your scrawny guy to package together.

Iain
02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Apologies to Sigurd for stealing his idea :hey:

Modelling was only about 20 minutes, texturing took forever then I turned to Maxwell.

blindsided
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks Nang,
thats a nice technique, probably obvious to everyone else, but 3d doesnt come easily to me :( and the timelapse is great.

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
We Americans fear exotic European plumbing.

35 minutes modeling.

AdamAvenali
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM

35 minutes modeling.

no joke. what exactly is going on there? :D

JR_LW
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

35 minutes modeling.

Is that an alien probe I see. Nice Job.

Myagi
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I couldn't let this one pass without the most iconic instance of water in a CG (milestone) movie :D

(even though that particular shot has no CG)

I'm not posting the wireframe as it's so pathetically simplistic it's out of contest

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice render, Myagi! That would fool a lot of people.

I've been waiting for someone to do the Abyss water probe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0i2vCniuyA)

BlueApple
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, dude, you could sell that to a stock photo company. Just make some other iconic images with your scrawny guy to package together.

I appreciate the comment, though there is a lot of work to be done on the piece before it's of good enough quality to sell. The leaf texturing is still a real hatchet job- maybe I'll get around to doing it and a few other things before Wednesday.

Iain
02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I've been waiting for someone to do the Abyss water probe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0i2vCniuyA)

Got halfway through today and ran out of time!
I thought it would be simple but the face had me pulling my hair out.

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I did a funny sales video with the water probe in it. Took lots of shots of the corporate corridors and cube farms, some with people reacting to my direction. Comping the water probe in was very easy. (I skipped the face morphing!)

It was easy as pie and blew people away, in '99. It was more than they were expecting from a zero budget, silly sales video.

R.Feeney
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Excellent work guys
I`m working on a sorta underground lake, still trying to figure out the render though. 90 min modeling.

Nangleator
02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow. Hey, you forgot Lara Croft!

R.Feeney
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow. Hey, you forgot Lara Croft!

I may have to turn in what little geek credentials I have left, I have never played any of those games. :help:

COBRASoft
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Iain, with your talents, you may steal all my (modeling) ideas :D

R. Feeney, you're nuts man! Can't wait to see it rendered.

Please extend this topic 1 or 2 weeks, too many nice things are coming.

Kuzey
02-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Iain, with your talents, you may steal all my (modeling) ideas :D

R. Feeney, you're nuts man! Can't wait to see it rendered.

Please extend this topic 1 or 2 weeks, too many nice things are coming.

Haha...don't worry, it's already extended to next week...we'll see about another extension then :thumbsup:

Great work...everyone :thumbsup:

That toilet snake thingy scares the crap out of me...hehe.

Super cool idea Richard...I can't wait to see the render!

Kuzey

colkai
02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Nangleator - meant to ask, how does one do a timelapse video?
Is it simply setting the framerate or capture rate in camstudio? (Assuming you use camstudio :p ).

Nangleator
02-10-2010, 06:34 AM
It's Camtasia (that the same thing?) and I set a 800x600 window to align with my 3D view. (I'm afraid of capturing the whole 1600x1200 screen, for some reason.)

In the editing part, I just select the clip and set the speed to 400 to 900%. I believe that last one was 500%.

I should be less lazy and cut the clip up so I can speed up the boring bits and slow down on the interesting bits. I should also record a VO, but I do all my videos at work, and I sit in a shared space. Awkward.

Nangleator
02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Richard, unless you're still fiddling with your underground lake castle, I'd love a chance to try some lighting ideas.

colkai
02-10-2010, 07:23 AM
It's Camtasia ......

I should be less lazy and cut the clip up so I can speed up the boring bits and slow down on the interesting bits. I should also record a VO, but I do all my videos at work, and I sit in a shared space. Awkward.

Thanks, heh, I can imagine it being awkward recording, it's bad enough doing it when the wife wanders in and looks at me like I've lost my mind.

Oh, wait a minute, she does that anyway! :D :D

R.Feeney
02-10-2010, 07:25 AM
This is as far as I got with it last night, I`m heading out the door right now but I`ll post up the model file later or tomorrow and you can have a go:thumbsup:

Nangleator
02-10-2010, 09:13 AM
35 minutes modeling.

Myagi
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM
blimey! that's one <insert censored expletitive(?) of choice> render :)

novawave
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
woaah,..mr nangleator you just beat me on "who-upload-this-idea-first" contest lol so pardon if somehow we had same glass splash water ideas,.if only if only my render not an hours each kekekekeke ,
since everyone already double their pace on this thread,..so here's my other entry:) Glass of fresh water,..30 minutes modelling with loong 3 hours of texturing and rendering kekekekeke

Nangleator
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
blimey! that's one <insert censored expletitive(?) of choice> render :)
Oh, thanks!

novawave... Hah! Great minds think alike!

Here's a bigger render, slightly different materials and DOF.

Iain
02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Those glasses are both cool and they gave me an idea:
the old science refraction experiment...............

RudySchneider
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
That looks cool, Iain, but it would look a lot more convincing with a bit of a meniscus where the water comes into contact with the pencil (and the glass).

Iain
02-11-2010, 05:10 AM
I think you're right Rudy. The water surface needs a bit of work all over.

I'll try and get round to it but there are loads of good opportunities for this challenge and I've no time :)

Kuzey
02-11-2010, 05:30 AM
I collected some reference images for a hovercraft...should be fun :D

Kuzey

Twisted_Pixel
02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Lots of impressive images as usual appearing here.

My token effort for this weeks challenge:- Water Tower
See attached images.

Rove
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
bummer! Missed out on this one. Ah well. Here's what I had at 43 minutes when I had to stop modeling because I seriously had some other stuff to do. I'm gonna work on this some more.

R.Feeney
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
More stunning work there guys:thumbsup:
A whale from me an hour modeling and an other on painting some textures.
Attached is the file for the cave lake scene

COBRASoft
02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Richard's mind: hmmm, I have 2 hours to spare, why shouldn't I model a whale once for the water challenge...

My mind some hours later after seeing the result: I'm totally blast away again by the speed and quality. How the hell does he do it :stumped:

Richard's mind: I bet I can do it faster and better next time, you just wait and see :D

Really nice done Richard!

Nangleator
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Attached is the file for the cave lake scene
Richard's Mind: I'll just set Ambient Intensity to a negative number, just to muck with people's heads.

R.Feeney
02-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I just push the buttons at random, do it often enough and I may produce a Mona Lisa :)

Myagi
02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Playing with liquid/transparency/refractive rendering was fun so I had to try something more. Was going for something a bit on the humorous side, ran out of time to add the "inhabitant" peeking out from some hiding place. Also took way too much time on the material/rendering side so I had to call it quits.

I present: "Dinner for one" - the effects ot temperature on water :devil:

Nangleator
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh, that's cool!

Bear in mind, the time limit is only on modeling.

Myagi
02-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks :) yeah I know, but I should be doing other work and had already spent so much time on rendering and surfacing, and it was still miles away from what I had pictured in my mind. I had to pull the plug (at least for now) to avoid spending all night on it.

R.Feeney
02-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Good work Myagi

COBRASoft
02-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey, this is my first attempt at hypervoxels. I found a sample in the 'Inside LightWave 8'-book from Dan Ablan.

HV's are damn tricky to get right, even for such a simple setup. These model challenges have proven yet again how interesting they can be for learning new stuff in LW.

I know, the water should be blue or red according to the temperature, but this render took more than an hour already on my quad-core laptop. Tomorrow, I'll try to add the color and hopefully in better quality on my I7.

C&C welcome to get it rendered faster and look even better. This was rendered using LW HC build 2006.

R.Feeney
02-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Thats looking great Cobra

colkai
02-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Richard's mind: hmmm, I have 2 hours to spare, why shouldn't I model a whale once for the water challenge...

My mind some hours later after seeing the result: I'm totally blast away again by the speed and quality. How the hell does he do it :stumped:

Richard's mind: I bet I can do it faster and better next time, you just wait and see :D

I can only what you and Nangleator say, the guy is awesome!

colkai
02-12-2010, 01:53 AM
I just push the buttons at random

Sh'yeaahh riiggght - and we believe that for one microsecond. :D

COBRASoft
02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Thx Richard.

Colkai: yeah, his speed is unnatural.

Myagi
02-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Cursed be this subject, it's addictive.

Here's a sub-zero (C) water temperature study of my little virtual buddy :D

(50 minutes modeling)

jrandom
02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
If I may ask a silly question: How do you model the water inside a container?

Myagi
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
The experienced folks are probably more suited to answering, but I think basically you just have to select the inside polys of the container, then copy them to a new layer and flip the polys. Then you have a starting point for a liquid volume to work with.

R.Feeney
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Sh'yeaahh riiggght - and we believe that for one microsecond. :D

Thx Richard.

Colkai: yeah, his speed is unnatural.
I getting embarrassed again:o Its all in the practice and having a fair idea of the whole shape of the object in my head before starting

The experienced folks are probably more suited to answering, but I think basically you just have to select the inside polys of the container, then copy them to a new layer and flip the polys. Then you have a starting point for a liquid volume to work with.

Sounds spot on to me

R.Feeney
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Cursed be this subject, it's addictive.

Here's a sub-zero (C) water temperature study of my little virtual buddy :D

(50 minutes modeling)

Thats cool:thumbsup:
A few bubbles in the ice would add a little to the look

Myagi
02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Thats cool:thumbsup:
A few bubbles in the ice would add a little to the look

Thanks :) dang, I was going to try that but completely forgot as I was fighting with lighting

edit: an updated render with some bubbles and higher render quality

JR_LW
02-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks :) dang, I was going to try that but completely forgot as I was fighting with lighting

Like to see bigger render and more/different camera angles,
(this could be great animation; ice melting away may need rendering farm) Great job. The bubbles are nice touch.
This Challenge Rocks!

colkai
02-13-2010, 03:03 AM
I getting embarrassed again:o Its all in the practice and having a fair idea of the whole shape of the object in my head before starting

That makes a huge difference.
Not being blessed with any artistic talent art wise (never mind any natural talent like you and my wife dag nabit!) I have found building stuff out of rough primitives really helps me refine my idea before tackling a proper model.

I'd recommend it to anyone who struggles. Don't try and make a mesh, literally, throw primitives together in a lump, don't even try to boolean them or remove "inner" geometry. It's a great way to plan things out and see what can be improved. I'm going to be doing this myself today probably, (assuming my soundcard upgrade doesn't go South and end up taking all day :p ).

Not related to the current challenge, but...
Case in point...

chco2
02-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Sorry that I haven't contributed this time folks, been just to busy. And now we have Carnaval :jester: here :)
Did see some really nice stuff though.. Amazing!
Really looking forward to seeing some of those models on the Free Models thread so I can have a look at how stuff is done. Hope you will be contributing those models again.
Will be there for the next challenge though ;P

Dodgy
02-13-2010, 03:40 AM
This is the voice of the mysterons.....

Kuzey
02-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Here's the hovercraft at the 95 minute mark and it's my second attempt.

With the first attempt...I started with the nose and got into trouble as I got to the back of the model.

Also, I subdivided the whole model to get enough segments for the skirt...when, I could have just copied that section to a new layer....oh well :hey:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
02-13-2010, 05:07 AM

That looks great :thumbsup:

That makes a huge difference.
Not being blessed with any artistic talent art wise (never mind any natural talent like you and my wife dag nabit!) I have found building stuff out of rough primitives really helps me refine my idea before tackling a proper model.

I'd recommend it to anyone who struggles. Don't try and make a mesh, literally, throw primitives together in a lump, don't even try to boolean them or remove "inner" geometry. It's a great way to plan things out and see what can be improved. I'm going to be doing this myself today probably, (assuming my soundcard upgrade doesn't go South and end up taking all day :p ).

Not related to the current challenge, but...
Case in point...
That sounds like what architects do with massing models, simple shapes to define the overall shape and size.

Kuzey Great looking model as always

stevmjon
02-13-2010, 05:58 AM
hi

just thought i would enter this one. thanks kuzey.

model time = 1h 30m
surface & render = several hours.
this is my second attempt.

i just couldn't model fast enough. there were other things i needed to include. i haven't used lightwave in a while, so this was fun.

stevmjon

R.Feeney
02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
That came out great for you stevmjon

COBRASoft
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Kuzey: Super model, can't wait to see it rendered in nice colors :)

stevmjon: Nice done.

My next model is probably going to be a kind of bridge. I have to try to stay within the time limit though.

Myagi
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Like to see bigger render and more/different camera angles,

Here are few alternatives (render quality not quite as high though or the computer would be occupied for the whole evening :) )

oobievision
02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
wow awsome entries by everyone. my little old water pump dont stand a chance. hmm if there is still time ill make something more to par. guess thats what I get for having my ISP shut off my connection for a week

R.Feeney
02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
You have until Wednesday on this one, its running for two weeks.
I have been looking at photos of the Hoover dam and wondering if its doable in 90 min...

JR_LW
02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Myagi
Super Member:
SUPER JOB: that is my favorite out of all of the challengers.
"...the computer would be occupied for the whole evening",
that is why you should render all night.

Myagi
02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-ashamed002.gif you're too kind. As immensly fun as the rendering and brainstorming part has been, one should not forget that the challenge is about modeling, at least in that regard mine doesn't.. (wait for it).. hold any water :D

"...the computer would be occupied for the whole evening",
that is why you should render all night.

The computer is located too closely to where I sleep, the noise would make it hard to sleep so it's always turned off at night (as if electricy bills in this day and age wouldn't be enough motivation ;) )

stevmjon
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
thanks r.feeney & cobrasoft.

i have attempted to enter this a few times now, but simply can't model fast enough.

this was easier, because i just box modelled and cloned.

stevmjon

colkai
02-15-2010, 01:18 AM
thanks r.feeney & cobrasoft.

i have attempted to enter this a few times now, but simply can't model fast enough.
stevmjon

Don't let that put you off, really, the more of these you enter, the more your speed will improve, I think anyone here would tell you that. :thumbsup:

I was the same, didn't think I could do anything worthwhile, but even a simple object can "get you going" so by all means, stick along for the ride in future. The more, the merrier! :D :D

stevmjon
02-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Don't let that put you off, really, the more of these you enter, the more your speed will improve, I think anyone here would tell you that. :thumbsup:

I was the same, didn't think I could do anything worthwhile, but even a simple object can "get you going" so by all means, stick along for the ride in future. The more, the merrier! :D :D

thanks colkai

you are right. if i don't enter more often, i simply wont get the experience.

one thing this challenge does is improve concentration, and gets you thinking about the quickest way to model something. now thats got to be good. :D

stevmjon

COBRASoft
02-15-2010, 05:20 AM
stevmjon: it also helps you to think ahead how to model something. You need to plan to be able to stay within the time limit. Except if your name is not Richard :D. But I bet even he organizes his thoughts before starting a model.

Rove
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I noticed this week's challenge had been extended so I thought I'd create something else next to the fish I created earlier. It took 78 minutes to create this historical water creature ;)

All that's left is additional (advanced) surfacing.

Iain
02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
It took 78 minutes to create this historical water creature ;)

Cool :D But can you do the laugh? Akakakakakakakak.........

Iain
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
This is a model I've been wanting to build for some time. It's Tadao Ando's Garden of Fine Art.
I used to have a 3ds version of it and was inspired to do my own after the Brion Vega challenge that Except posted.

I realised today that I could get a water themed render out of the first stage but I plan to do a series of renders as I progress.

Modelling time (so far) 45 minutes.

stevmjon
02-15-2010, 06:40 PM
stevmjon: it also helps you to think ahead how to model something. You need to plan to be able to stay within the time limit. Except if your name is not Richard :D. But I bet even he organizes his thoughts before starting a model.

i tend to start modelling, adjust as i go, then panick towards the end.

spending time before i start modelling is something i should do. :)

to iain
that's cool textures on the pole and wall.

to myagi
that's really creative and cool.

stevmjon

R.Feeney
02-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Dam it!!
Not one of my better ones, I got a bit fed up with the whole dam halfway through and I think it shows.

jrandom
02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Dam it!!
Not one of my better ones, I got a bit fed up with the whole dam halfway through and I think it shows.

Your halfway-done model still trumps anything I've built.

I like the water. Is that the Dielectric material with absorption?

R.Feeney
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Your halfway-done model still trumps anything I've built.

I like the water. Is that the Dielectric material with absorption?
I wouldn't say that at all, I have just had a lot of practice at the speed challenges

It is dielectric for the water :thumbsup:

colkai
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Dam it!!

Oh yes Richard, I mean *anyone* can see how poor it is. :lol: :jester:

Sheesh, what chance do we have at all? :p

jrandom
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't say that at all, I have just had a lot of practice at the speed challenges

It is dielectric for the water :thumbsup:

I'm just giddy at the material capabilities of Lightwave. The last program I used was 3D Studio Max 7, so Lightwave is a real breath of fresh air. :)

I'm going to try to enter the next speed challenge as my modeling skills are so horrifically primitive that I need some direction for actually completing a target goal, no matter how awful the final result. Eventually, I will get better.

R.Feeney
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Oh yes Richard, I mean *anyone* can see how poor it is. :lol: :jester:

Sheesh, what chance do we have at all? :p
I may have worded it incorrectly :D I really mean that it did not come out as I hoped it would when I started.

I'm just giddy at the material capabilities of Lightwave. The last program I used was 3D Studio Max 7, so Lightwave is a real breath of fresh air. :)

I'm going to try to enter the next speed challenge as my modeling skills are so horrifically primitive that I need some direction for actually completing a target goal, no matter how awful the final result. Eventually, I will get better.

Believe me, these can really push you to the next level. just look back at some of the earlier challenges and see how far everyone has come in the time since.

OnlineRender
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
It just a minor change but I like the touch of rainbow in the falls

OWNED ......................................... amazin

R.Feeney
02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
OWNED ......................................... amazin

Ha, I had to think back to my school days to remember the right order of colours for the gradient.
"Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain"

Nangleator
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm going to try to enter the next speed challenge... Eventually, I will get better.
That's the best reason to join! You're certain to improve rapidly, if you approach it right.

I try to mentally plan some key trick to my models, like the initial portion of my timelapse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1UivR4Ehgw) for the Explosives challenge. Sometimes I use a technique I've heard about but never tried, or I invent something and see if it works.

It sometimes goes badly. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=747838&postcount=70) That's okay. I learn from those, too.

jrandom
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
That's the best reason to join! You're certain to improve rapidly, if you approach it right.

That's the plan!

I try to mentally plan some key trick to my models, like the initial portion of my timelapse for the Explosives challenge.

Oh man, this shows me just how many modeling tools I don't know (although I recognize the spline deformer from the football tutorial).

When you were making the ends... what tool is that? "Extend" or something. It looks quite handy. (And the use of Array was brilliant. Must learn that one too... along with about a thousand other techniques. I NEED A BIGGER BRAIN! And longer days so I have more time available after I get home from my day job. Can you please slow down the Earth's rotation?)

Twisted_Pixel
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I feel the same jrandom, I've noticed a slight improvement even with doing only a few of the challenges. Likewise, wish there were more hours in the day.

Twisted_Pixel
02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Richard, what surface settings did you use on the land around the dam?
It has an somewhat painterly feel to it.

Nangleator
02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
The simple tricks I put together for that part are:

Name polygons before the Array command;
Multishift a couple times;
Bend, with Control held down... keeps it to 15 increments;
Spline deformer tool, as you recognized. (May be the only time I ever used it, but boy is it useful!);
Select Loop, to get all the edge points selected;
Extender Plus (which works in Subpatch mode,) and then Stretch.

Extender Plus is so necessary for modeling.

Iain
02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Richard, I know you've spent time on the water and the area behind the dam itself but what about a view from below looking up?

That could be really dramatic with the right sky and a wide angle lens.

Just a thought............:devil:

R.Feeney
02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Richard, what surface settings did you use on the land around the dam?
It has an somewhat painterly feel to it.
ITs just some procedural bumps (crumple,ridgedMultiFractal, turbulence) and gradiants in diffuse, colour and spec with the bump as input.
And a little bump displacement too.

Richard, I know you've spent time on the water and the area behind the dam itself but what about a view from below looking up?

That could be really dramatic with the right sky and a wide angle lens.

Just a thought............:devil:

Ill give it a try later:thumbsup:

Nangleator
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I was just reviewing this thread... Looks like a nightmare job for the judge! Amazing lot of entries. Great work, all!

And this gave me an idea for some future contest:

I spent forever trying to figure out a good way of UV'ing the inside of the pool, finally, after much sweat, I did so.
So anyway, can you even SEE the darned thing! DOH!
Topic: The Other Side of the Effect
What's just outside of the frame.. What's on the other side of the facade... What gives away the trick... What spoils the shot...

Kuzey
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Nice going everyone :thumbsup:

After many hours of tweaking and fixing the model...here's a render of the finished version :D

More views on my blog :hey:

Kuzey

novawave
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
:D..since i allready made this one, waste if not posted, so here it is : PERFECT CHAOS, water monster:devil: from Sonic Adv..done on 40 min..

@Mr Richard: tha.. tha..that kind of DAM result was " FED UP"?!!!i think Lightwave modeller is in your blood sir...its allready become your inner intinct .... Kudos:thumbsup:

stevmjon
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
good job novawave.

another person good at organic modelling.

stevmjon

colkai
02-17-2010, 01:58 AM
...And this gave me an idea for some future contest:

Topic: The Other Side of the Effect
What's just outside of the frame.. What's on the other side of the facade... What gives away the trick... What spoils the shot...

Great idea! :D

Kuzey
02-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Oh look.....it's Sponge Bob's sidekick :hey:

55 minutes.

Kuzey

Iain
02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Oh look.....it's Sponge Bob's sidekick :hey:

Nice one!

Squidward, Squidward, Squidward, Squidward, Squidward.........

Nangleator
02-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Great idea! :D
Thank you! But I had a better idea, after I looked at my e-mail today.

I guess the Luxology folks have a new feature called SLIK: Studio Lighting & Illumination Kit.

I've often found myself building fake studios to show off shiny or reflective products. How about a "Studio Items" challenge where you build backdrops, reflectors, lights, scaffolding, etc.? That way, when we share items, we all end up with some virtual studio bits we can use many times in the future.

With a little research, we can also plug IES lights into those bits of hardware, too.

Iain
02-17-2010, 06:36 AM
How about a "Studio Items" challenge where you build backdrops, reflectors, lights, scaffolding, etc.? That way, when we share items, we all end up with some virtual studio bits we can use many times in the future.

Yeah! :thumbsup:

iain_r
02-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Not a model, but a few waves.

Iain

pat-lek
02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Just animated bump:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=348rplv&s=6

Nangleator
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh, it's videos now, is it? :)

Everyone familiar with Cloth Dynamics for wave simulation (http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/Video/WaterTray.wmv)?

Kuzey
02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah! :thumbsup:

Ok....that's two for "Studio Items" :)

Since I have the next challenge as well, I could go with that topic....if people like the idea.

So vote...if you want it. 5 votes should do it...unless, someone has another idea :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Seems like everyone is hibernating or something :hey:

Anyway...I think I might extend this to Wednesday, because it has become so slow around here. Or you can start making the "studio items" now, time limit of 90 minutes and post them when I start a new thread tonight or tomorrow?

What say you ??

Kuzey

Nangleator
02-19-2010, 07:52 AM
We may be watered out. I'll start on my first entry for Studio Items when I get a chance.

Kuzey
02-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Haha...I got it up and start making those models everyone, lets see how much we can get done :thumbsup:

ps...I'll pick the winner in the weekend for the water challenge :hey:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106610

Kuzey

colkai
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Not a job I envy you Kuzey! :)

Nangleator
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I counted 31 entries. Ouch!

COBRASoft
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, some nice models in here. Kuzey will have to spend some thinking on the winner. Perhaps a Gold, Silver and Bronze place? :D

Nangleator
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Can I be the "agony of defeat" guy?

rednova
02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Dear Friends:

I know I am late for the contest, but nonetheless I want to
share my entry and get feedback.
The attached image is the lw 5 watership on top of some waves.
I created a box in modeler. Then I created a water texture and saved
it as a 3000x2000 image. Applied the ocean texture on my box using the color surface as a planar image map using the Y axis.
Once the box + texture started looking good, I loaded the watership that
comes with lw 5 and placed it on top of my box..just enough to show the
ship emerging.
This is my ocean project !!!

rednova
PS: didn't I tell you guys I'm gonna stick around here ? :)

Kuzey
02-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, some nice models in here. Kuzey will have to spend some thinking on the winner. Perhaps a Gold, Silver and Bronze place? :D

I was thinking we might try public voting one of these days...but yeah, it's going to be tough...haha :D

Kuzey

stevmjon
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
if the submissions have been extended until wednesday, here is my tweeked post.

since i finished my original model a minute or two early (see post #103), i decided to mirror the top handrail, and tweek the water surface settings.

if the water submissions aren't extended, enjoy anyway.

stevmjon

Nangleator
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
stevmjon, that's an excellent piece of work, and very impressive for the time limit.

stevmjon
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
stevmjon, that's an excellent piece of work, and very impressive for the time limit.

thanks, i am glad you like it.

i was planning to do more in the scene, but this was all i could get in. it wasn't too hard, since it was a lot of boxes, cloning, and mirroring. the texturing afterwards took a lot longer.

maybe if i modelled this a third attempt i could have done more.

stevmjon

jrandom
02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
the texturing afterwards took a lot longer.

What technique did you use to do the texturing?

One of the few things I miss about 3D Studio Max was the ability to visually move around planar UV gizmos and watch the textures move around in realtime. I used that to texture the boards in this image (http://www.fictionclemens.org/Images/Photosets/cg/Lagoon_Composite-01_Large.jpg) (sadly, I no longer have a hi-res render of that). I used two different pictures of wooden boards to texture every single individual CG board by visually translating and scaling each board's planar UV gizmo.

Myagi
02-20-2010, 12:47 AM
One of the few things I miss about 3D Studio Max was the ability to visually move around planar UV gizmos and watch the textures move around in realtime.

The "Texture Guide" tool is somewhat similar.

stevmjon
02-20-2010, 01:44 AM
What technique did you use to do the texturing?

i used two colour wood images from a free website.

i just adjusted the image opacity amount for the different surfaces. i used cubic, and copied the image to the bump as well. again adjusted the opacity here.
what i did was seperately name the boards, even the board ends. it took a while 'naming' all the surfaces, then each was slightly different from the other.
then i put a similar noise procedural across sets of boards, so this would line up (copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste etc).

this is why it took me so long.
the round leg posts were one texture, and all the boards were the other.

cement texture was the wall. a few more for reflection.
i experimented the most with the water. lots of tweeking. no shaders.

*see attachment for scene + objects.

stevmjon

stevmjon
02-20-2010, 03:36 PM
just for fun i added to my scene.

of course, this takes me way over the time limit. i just wanted to see how it looked.

enjoy, stevmjon

* note: this is not an entry *

R.Feeney
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey sevmjon that looks great and thanks for sharing the scene. :thumbsup:
There are well over 100 scenes done by the folks here in the speed challenges available for download in the free speed models thread if you are interested in joining in
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465

stevmjon
02-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey sevmjon that looks great and thanks for sharing the scene. :thumbsup:
There are well over 100 scenes done by the folks here in the speed challenges available for download in the free speed models thread if you are interested in joining in
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465

rfeeney

i am glad you like it. it was fun to make.
i have posted the scene & objects file in the free models thread.

stevmjon

Kuzey
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
First off....this was a great turn out. A :beerchug: goes out to all the first timers...I hope to see you guys in more challenges :thumbsup:

It's the participation that's important, the more you do...the better/faster you get. Also, it's good to see people finishing pieces off after the deadline as well :thumbsup:

Anyway...if it was based on renders, it would be a Richard v Richard v Richard v Iain v Richard v stevmjon for the top place :hey:

There was some funny ones as well...I loved the works by BlueApple and Myagi. ps...Myagi, that fish bowl would be so better....if it had a gold fish jumping out of the bowl for dear life and the water boiling behind it :hey:

Having said all that...the winner is novawave's underwater Mecha by a nose :hey:

Well done everyone !!

Kuzey

OnlineRender
02-21-2010, 02:32 PM
congrats ! NT should make a hall of fame page and post the winners .

R.Feeney
02-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Well done novawave :thumbsup:

chco2
02-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Congrats Novawave!

novawave
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
:D..thank you everyone...and especially for mr.Kuzey.., with such a lot great entry, must be a hard time of choosing it.:thumbsup:...

btw this is the the models i made for share ..thank you again everyone..another Speed modelling is up..."ca mera:D"
, lets model!!!!

ups...i forget the winner must set a topic for another challenge.pardon ;D..since #74 is up., so.. i should made topic for #75? or #76? please correct me if am wrong,..newbie member forum nervous mode kekekekekeke

Nangleator
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Worthy winner! Congratulations!

Myagi
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Congrats!

if it had a gold fish jumping out of the bowl for dear life and the water boiling behind it

I originaly wanted to do something but that scene had already taken the full 90 minutes. Nontheless I made a new quick little render with a some object reuse from my other entry :)

(disclaimer: additional attempt at humor may only work for british folks)

colkai
02-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Congrats NovaWave, a well deserved win! :)

Iain
02-22-2010, 02:24 AM
ups...i forget the winner must set a topic for another challenge.pardon ;D..since #74 is up., so.. i should made topic for #75? or #76? please correct me if am wrong,..newbie member forum nervous mode kekekekekeke

Yep the winner sets the challenge after the next one. That gives them time to think.

Well done!

BlueApple
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Excellent work novawave!