PDA

View Full Version : can adobe premiere cs4 stack up against avid media composer 4?

octopus2000
02-04-2010, 05:55 AM
is adobe premiere cs4 good enough to be used for editing a feature film? or is avid media composer 4 still the best tool for this?

i only like to know the comparison between those 2. because i don't want to get a mac for FCP and i don't want to get an autodesk smoke. just discuss premiere and composer. i want to get a much better perspective on those 2 before i spend money on them.

biliousfrog
02-04-2010, 07:17 AM
My guess is that you're not editing a feature film so buy whatever you can afford. Why not download the demo's and see which you like best?

I use Premiere because I bought the entire production bundle as it worked out much cheaper than buying all the apps seperately...it's ok for everything I need, it has some quirks but it's also around 1/3 the price of Media Composer...in fact you could buy the Adobe production premium set for the same price and also have After Effects, Encore, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Soundbooth etc.

octopus2000
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
let's say that i'm going to edit film. i need to know if adobe is now capable of doing all the functions of avid composer.

Titus
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
let's say that i'm going to edit film. i need to know if adobe is now capable of doing all the functions of avid composer.

I don't know if you'r asking the correct forum, this is NewTek, but what the heck! What are your specific needs? do you need to work with EDL?

I've tried to edit corporate videos (~1 hour long) with Premiere and was a real pain. I must say is not at the same level as Composer.

Avid is another beast. It needs to be installed in a computer with no other software, you have to talk to it with love or it won't work.

Speed Edit in the other side is inexpensive and I do know a couple people editing feature films with it.

realgray
02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
If you have a mac I would go with Final Cut Pro. It's cheap and check out all the features edited with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Cut_Pro
(films at the bottom)

realgray
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
My fave combo is AE/Shake and Final Cut with Lightwave for 3d effects.

digital verve
02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I know both Media Composer and Premiere Pro 4 very well. What would the feature film be shot on? If it is shot on 35mm then Avid is the better choice, as well as quick turnaround broadcast tv production involving teams of editors. Final Cut follows closely behind, but still has a few issues that stops it overtaking Avid in these areas.

If the feature film is shot on the Red camera, then Avid Media Composer is not currently the best option (could change with next update). It can't deal with native 4k footage amongst other reasons, unless you have access to an expensive Avid DS system for onlining. Premiere Pro or Final Cut would be your better choice here.

Premiere Pro CS4 has come a long way to become a good pro editing software. Deals with native Red footage including 4k very nicely (on a decent quad core system with 8gig RAM). It also has the advantage of seamlessly linking into After Effects and back.

Final Cut Pro has color which is great for budget color grading and finishing and is very popular. Which is something to think about if you are going to collaborate with other editors. The price is good too.

All these 3 packages are excellent and have very good features, but their strengths depend on the project you are working on. Like all software, you will get the evangalistic fan boys. I don't have a favourite. Never used SpeedEdit and unlikely will do now as Newtek never provided a dowloadable demo when we were choosing our editing platform. :)

Dexter2999
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
You are editing film? Does Premier output a Cutlist so you can conform your negative? I don't know. I stopped using Premier back at 6.0 before they became "Premier Pro" and started trying to replicate FCP on PC's (from where I see it).

Specifically for working with "film" I'd say go with AVID. If you are working with short form (1 hr or less) video I'd suggest Premier. Not only is Titus correct about AVID pretty much needing to be on it's own machine. AVID is very strict about supporting only machines on their approved list...this includes which graphic cards. And "what are your system spec's" will be the first question they ask.

Andrewstopheles
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Premiere will do just fine. Since CS3 and CS4 versions have really integrated well into After Effects as well as Photoshop and Illustrator, so you can probably edit and do post quicker with Premiere than any other package right now IMO. You can definitely edit a feature film with it if you've got the right hardware.
On the other hand if you can afford Avid then there's no reason not to get it. A lot of feature films have been edited with it.
In most cases the software is dictated by the hardware. What camera(s) will you be using, what formats do they support and then choose software that supports that.
Vegas is a great editor too, more than capable.