PDA

View Full Version : FBX Importing into LightWave

lookin4info
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Greetings:
I'm running LW 9.6, when in Layout, I try to do a FILE>Import, my only options are:
MOCAPBVH Setup

Am I missing an FBX Importing plugin or something? I really need to get some of my FBX models into LW, and can't seem to find any info on the web. I know there used to be an alias plugin, but Autodesk makes no reference these days.

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

WCameron
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
It opens nativley as a scene file. just select it when opening a scene.
A;ternately you can get the old Lightwave 6 plugin which gives you more
features, off the newtek ftp site.

do a search on the board here for Mocap, Animeeple, and FBX and you'll find
an entire thread and videos (thanks again cageman) on fbx issues with a specific bent
to Mocap in Lightwave.

- Will.

lookin4info
02-04-2010, 12:21 AM
That's pretty helpful. Using the "Load Item From Scene". I brought in an FBX model of Victoria 4, but, as suspected - her bones and flesh were mangled beyond recognition, no textures. I brought in a Castle model without bones, the meshes were fine but no textures. I guess the imported doesn't really work? We have to retexture everything we bring in?

Another weird thing - when I tried to move parts of the cast around and render - all the pieces jumped right back where they were. Buggy stuff.

I'll search for your suggested threads for answers - but I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the FBX import bugs were fixed between LW 9.5 and 9.6.

WCameron
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Bring the model in with autokey on. that might help the bones going wonkey issue. if that does work and the mesh is deformed you need to rest the bones...

Otherwise if your importing Poser stuff there is 2 plugins for that, one by ... um Greenbriar? and the other called Poser to Lightwave Kit (or PLK) from Kurv Studios.
Both bring in objects, textures animations etc etc.

If your working in 32 bit you can also use this for lightwave, load it in and rename it and add it to your menues - there are some bugs with the native lightwave importer where orientation of somethings is a bit weird:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Downloads/fbxlw75-36.zip

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Downloads/fbxlw80-53.zip

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Downloads/fbxlw80-5[1].3.0.pkg.sit

Those are the old FBX plugins (I guess Autodesk/Alias actually made them) that sometimes in some cases work better than the native ones
all grouped together in LW9X...

- Will.

lookin4info
02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks Will. Now if I can just find the texture maps on these imports, I'll be partway there.