PDA

View Full Version : Use Lynda.com?

gfrederickk
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Why not pepper them with requests to include Core tutorials? The site has been a great training resource for me and my co-workers. But they don't include Lightwave tuts.

Just a thought.

http://www.lynda.com/aboutus/contact.aspx

Greenlaw
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I've wondered about that myself. I use Lynda.com all the time, and have been off and on for several years now. Their subscription system is fair: $25 a month for all you can eat, and you can suspend and restart your subscription with a mouseclick.

Right now I'm learning .css through a very comprehensive course on Lynda.com. One of my favorite features (for subscribers) is the ability to play a video at double-speed so I can get through lengthy courses like this one in half the time.

One of my coworkers used Lynda.com recently to brush up on Maya and Blender.

gfrederickk
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
The video tuts on the Newtek site are good and helpful, but they aren't a comprehensive training course. Love to see one for Core. A student can get a cheap student copy of an Autodesk product and an online video training course at Lynda.com for $25.

The price of an Autodesk product is not as approachable as Lightwave's, but the training sure is. Time to get on that Newtek.

dablan
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Greetings LightWavers....
I'd like to let you know that you'll soon be seeing a LightWave 10 Essential Training on Lynda.com from me. Should be posted within the next couple of weeks.

rkpdesign
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Yay! Great to hear! Any idea when the LW10 book is due?

I'd like to let you know that you'll soon be seeing a LightWave 10 Essential Training on Lynda.com from me. Should be posted within the next couple of weeks.

BigHache
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Oh that's sweet. I'm currently going through Digital-Tutors' Maya courses. I've gone through several courses on Lynda as well.

wesleycorgi
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM

That's awesome! I always get free access to Lynda (from purchasing Adobe product) and I always check for LW. Now, it may be worth subscribing for Dan's course.

Greenlaw
03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Cool! I'll look forward it. I switch between Lynda.com and Digital Tutors depending on what I need learn, and I will very likely switch back to Lynda when the Core tutes go up.

G.

speismonqui
03-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Ive mentioned this before a couple of times, actually I started a threat not so long ago entitled "lack of tutorials", maybe this has been misinterpreted. Im not complaining about LW tutorials as there are many out there. Im always looking for good tutorials, making ofs, breakdowns, etc, and is really hard to find some LW related (maybe because they dont exist).
Lynda.com (none)
thegnomonworkshop (organic modeling from Taron _OLD_, and another one about stereoscopic, also with Maya)
digital tutors (none)
CmiVfx (none)
Making ofs:
3dtotal (none, its always about 3ds max... always!)
Cgchannel (none)
3dm3 (nada)
cgsociety (also, nada)
I dont care if its about Core, 10 or 9.6... I think LW needs to have some presence in the most visited CGI sites out there.

meshmaster
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I kinda wish 3dbuzz would get off the Maya kick and do more Lightwave....

dablan
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
There's a lot of tutorials up on www.3dgarage.com
Full blown 20 hour course for lw 9
Dynamics course
Product shot course
Broadcast animation course
All on sale and 100% LightWave

Additionally, I've started writing for www.pro3dcoalition.com
And you can get LightWave stuff up there too as posts progress.*
It's free - and there's a vpr article up there now.*

And, for my Inside LightWave 10 book, it's now off to print and will be out in mid April. Lynda.com training this month on LW10. So, lots of good info out there and more to come!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::newtek::lwicon:

lwaddict
03-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Lynda.com rocks. We use it here all the time and have yearly subscriptions for 5 at a time...

The thing is, you've got to email them and ask for what you want.

If they don't have it, but enough people want it, it'll happen. I've seen it happen more than a few times already.

So email them!

BigHache
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
So email them!

Dun!

dablan
03-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Now available!
http://www.lynda.com/training//71924-2.html

GandB
03-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Great work Dan; glad to see you still with new additions of LW!

speismonqui
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Ive mentioned this before a couple of times, actually I started a threat not so long ago entitled "lack of tutorials", maybe this has been misinterpreted. Im not complaining about LW tutorials as there are many out there. Im always looking for good tutorials, making ofs, breakdowns, etc, and is really hard to find some LW related (maybe because they dont exist).
Lynda.com (none)
thegnomonworkshop (organic modeling from Taron _OLD_, and another one about stereoscopic, also with Maya)
digital tutors (none)
CmiVfx (none)
Making ofs:
3dtotal (none, its always about 3ds max... always!)
Cgchannel (none)
3dm3 (nada)
cgsociety (also, nada)
I dont care if its about Core, 10 or 9.6... I think LW needs to have some presence in the most visited CGI sites out there.

Lynda.com (+1) :boogiedow

dablan
03-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks -
note this is an "Essential" training, but the more positive feedback we get, the more views, we'll be able to do an "Advanced." We're leaving the door open for a "Core" training as well. Not sure if it's a new course or added on to this. Time will tell.

YaGfXg33k
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Congrats on the new title, Dan. I am evangelizing it everywhere :)

dablan
03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Congrats on the new title, Dan. I am evangelizing it everywhere :)

Excellent! Thanks.

torturebori007
03-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks -
note this is an "Essential" training, but the more positive feedback we get, the more views, we'll be able to do an "Advanced." We're leaving the door open for a "Core" training as well. Not sure if it's a new course or added on to this. Time will tell.

Thanks for this step I was looking for just this as I love Lightwave...And yeah keep it up. More Please...

Oh did i mention, more please

lwaddict
03-25-2011, 07:34 AM
AWESOME...
Lightwave tuts that my 9-5 has to pay for.
Out-freakin'-standing!

And from Dan the Man himself. Very nice.

Is it just me or did Dan's voice get deeper and maybe had some surgery done? LOL.

dablan
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
AWESOME...
Lightwave tuts that my 9-5 has to pay for.
Out-freakin'-standing!

And from Dan the Man himself. Very nice.

Is it just me or did Dan's voice get deeper and maybe had some surgery done? LOL.

They've got really great sound gear - not just a USB headset so the sound is top notch.

As for surgery - no, but I could use some to take off about 30 pounds and remove the bags under my eyes. I was recording all day, then back at the hotel working all night finishing the "Inside LightWave 10" book. It shows in my face! :) Actually towards the end of the videos, you can actually hear my voice kind of strained - we recorded for 5 days straight. Those last days caught up with me :) But we got it done! :neener:

toddd240
03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks -

The essentials was nice......more please advanced tuts would be great.

dablan
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
The essentials was nice......more please advanced tuts would be great.

Be sure to let the Lynda.com people know.

simonlion
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I always use Lynda.com it is only $25.00 a month, you have the access to every program that are available. Currently I am watching Dan Ablan's LW 10 Tutorials on Lynda.com. I hope Dan makes Advanced LW 10 Tutorials for Lynda.com
Simon

dablan
03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
I always use Lynda.com it is only $25.00 a month, you have the access to every program that are available. Currently I am watching Dan Ablan's LW 10 Tutorials on Lynda.com. I hope Dan makes Advanced LW 10 Tutorials for Lynda.com
Simon

Thanks Simon -
let the folks at Lynda.com know what you want. The more people making suggestions, the better.

Nakia
03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Just created my Lyndia.com account and subscription.
Thanks Dan for the lessons!!!

scratch33
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Just created my account too.

Cool tutorials.

Love your course Dan. But a little bit basic for me.

Hope you can do a more advanced one.

BigHache
03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
I've emailed them to let them know what I'm looking for in Lightwave. I'll probably swap my Digital-Tutors account next month to do Dan's training at Lynda.